GDT: Natural Disaster game Avs vs Canes

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Canes had great positioning on the PK all game. Makar still scared the shit out of me every time he had the puck because he's Cale Makar.

Not just their positioning, but their sticks as well. In the short periods of time the Avs were able to set up on the PP, they clearly tried to get a few cross-ice passes or quick one-touch passes going, but our PKers were there almost every time. That’s just a good job viewing the tapes.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Slavin and Burns were crazy tonight.

Burns played over 26.5 minutes
Slavin over 25 minutes
Skjei almost 20 minutes
Orlov over 17:45
TDA 13 minutes
Chatty 12 minutes

We have the single most well-rested defensive group in the league (proven in TOI per game metrics), almost entirely due to Orlov's presence. It gives us the luxury to have their ice time boosted for a couple of games in the event of injuries.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
We have the single most well-rested defensive group in the league (proven in TOI per game metrics), almost entirely due to Orlov's presence. It gives us the luxury to have their ice time boosted for a couple of games in the event of injuries.
This should payoff come playoff time haven’t had to overwork any of our defence all season

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Slavin and Burns were crazy tonight.

Burns played over 26.5 minutes
Slavin over 25 minutes
Skjei almost 20 minutes
Orlov over 17:45
TDA 13 minutes
Chatty 12 minutes
Here’s the thing. That’s what most teams do. Most teams that have a defenseman of that caliber routinely play them 25 a night. The Canes just normally don’t have to.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Here’s the thing. That’s what most teams do. Most teams that have a defenseman of that caliber routinely play them 25 a night. The Canes just normally don’t have to.

Incredibly, Slavin has averaged under 21 minutes a night all season. Skjei and Burns have gotten around 21 and a half because of PP time. The Canes have a true bounty of riches on D this year, and I honestly would not be shocked if the Canes triple down on it at the deadline with their ~$8M in space instead of the conventional move for a goalie. When it comes to ice time, if you have the cap space to do so, there may not be such a thing as too many top-4 caliber D.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
My record isn’t great so….
I’m pretty sure I’m 0fer so you’re better than me. I’m simply asking that you don’t disappoint myself who was actually one of the last 15,000 people or so to watch the Whalers wearing that white sweater for the last time back in 1992, and my 3 kids 8 and under who I’ve hyped this up to for months. No big deal.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I’m pretty sure I’m 0fer so you’re better than me. I’m simply asking that you don’t disappoint myself who was actually one of the last 15,000 people or so to watch the Whalers wearing that white sweater for the last time back in 1992, and my 3 kids 8 and under who I’ve hyped this up to for months. No big deal.
Well ill be disappointing. Im against whalers night.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Since losing 4 straight on that WC road trip (so Dec 12 onward) the Canes have played 23 games:

15-4-4 (3rd best points % in the NHL behind EDM and VAN)
13 Regulation wins (tied for 3rd in the NHL)
15 ROW (3rd in the NHL behind VAN and EDM who have 16)
3.57 GF / GP (5th best in the NHL)
2.43 GA / GP (4th best in the NHL)
47 5v5 GF (tied for 15th)
40 5v5 GA (8th best in the NHL)
36.8% PP (Best in the NHL)
89.3% PK (2nd best in the NHL behind Detroit's 89.5%)
31.5 shots / GP (only 12th best in the NHL)
24.8 shots against / GP (Best in the NHL)
52.8% FOW (6th best in the NHL)

Goalie SV% (> 10 games played)
Kochetkov: .917 (8th best in the NHL out of 40)
Raanta: .888 (tied for 36th in the NHL out of out of 40). And the goalie he's tied with is Shesterkin.

GAA (> 10 games played)
Kochetkov: 2.19 (6th best in the NHL out of 40)
Raanta: 2.50 (11th best in the NHL out of 40)

Defense and special team have been the difference.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
We do gnash our teeth a lot about a team that is really pretty damned good.
Yep. and of the losses during those 23 games, only 2 of them are by more than 1 goal. 5-2 vs. LAK and MIN. And only against LA was it not due to ENGs.

Against MIN, It was 3-2 before the Canes pulled the goalie in the closing minutes and MIN had two empty netters.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Here are the individual stats since 12/12 as well. Martinook tied for the most even strength goals on the team. o_O You can clearly see why we miss Svech also.

1707488474495.png

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That was a surprising and good win.

It's funny how a 5 second span at the end of the first can kind of still kill the vibes even though it was objectively an impressive win to pull out.

I've never seen the vibes killed that quickly.

Giving up a goal in the final minute of a period? Bad, but expected from the Canes.

Giving up 2 goals in the final minute? Terrible, but I'm fairly certain we've done that before.

Giving up 2 goals in 7 seconds in the final minute of the period, and one of them was from well behind the blueline? I'm surprised they didn't put up the mental help hotline on the Jumbotron during intermission.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Rod had to wipe the dust out of his eyes after this one...

When I watched that play I immediately thought, is this the player he was always going to be, or did Rod turn him into this? And now he’s taking face offs on the PK in his own end. It’s like he’s trying to become the RW version of Rod.

I've never seen the vibes killed that quickly.

Giving up a goal in the final minute of a period? Bad, but expected from the Canes.

Giving up 2 goals in the final minute? Terrible, but I'm fairly certain we've done that before.

Giving up 2 goals in 7 seconds in the final minute of the period, and one of them was from well behind the blueline? I'm surprised they didn't put up the mental help hotline on the Jumbotron during intermission.
I’m glad I wasn’t watching with my kids or I’d never be able to get the 5 year old to stop saying “What the f***?”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad