GDT: Natural Disaster game Avs vs Canes

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I've never seen the vibes killed that quickly.

Giving up a goal in the final minute of a period? Bad, but expected from the Canes.

Giving up 2 goals in the final minute? Terrible, but I'm fairly certain we've done that before.

Giving up 2 goals in 7 seconds in the final minute of the period, and one of them was from well behind the blueline? I'm surprised they didn't put up the mental help hotline on the Jumbotron during intermission.
yeah after that I was sure we'd wind up losing. credit to the boys for pulling it together after that shit end to period 1. And especially to both goalies as Raanta was great in the 2nd and Pyotr was amazing in the 3rd in a really tough position coming back in after being cold and letting up the 2 stinkers.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
We do gnash our teeth a lot about a team that is really pretty damned good.

It's like those girls who are a 9 and unhappy with their one little flaw vs the girls who are a 6 and totally happy with their body.

As an aside, I was listening to a podcast where they interviewed Michelle Kwan and people who finish in 2nd place usually being the least happy. They knew they were so close but ultimately just not quite enough. iirc the interview was Dr. Laurie Santos?

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Here are the individual stats since 12/12 as well. Martinook tied for the most even strength goals on the team. o_O You can clearly see why we miss Svech also.

View attachment 816952
Drury seems to have slowed down since playing 2C some games...better competition I'd think.

However, he always seems to have an adjustment period and then elevates/excels. We will see if he can take the next step up again.

Last edited:

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Since losing 4 straight on that WC road trip (so Dec 12 onward) the Canes have played 23 games:

15-4-4 (3rd best points % in the NHL behind EDM and VAN)
13 Regulation wins (tied for 3rd in the NHL)
15 ROW (3rd in the NHL behind VAN and EDM who have 16)
3.57 GF / GP (5th best in the NHL)
2.43 GA / GP (4th best in the NHL)
47 5v5 GF (tied for 15th)
40 5v5 GA (8th best in the NHL)
36.8% PP (Best in the NHL)
89.3% PK (2nd best in the NHL behind Detroit's 89.5%)
31.5 shots / GP (only 12th best in the NHL)
24.8 shots against / GP (Best in the NHL)
52.8% FOW (6th best in the NHL)

Goalie SV% (> 10 games played)
Kochetkov: .917 (8th best in the NHL out of 40)
Raanta: .888 (tied for 36th in the NHL out of out of 40). And the goalie he's tied with is Shesterkin.

GAA (> 10 games played)
Kochetkov: 2.19 (6th best in the NHL out of 40)
Raanta: 2.50 (11th best in the NHL out of 40)

Defense and special team have been the difference.
Good data...thanks for posting

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
When I watched that play I immediately thought, is this the player he was always going to be, or did Rod turn him into this? And now he’s taking face offs on the PK in his own end. It’s like he’s trying to become the RW version of Rod.

I’m glad I wasn’t watching with my kids or I’d never be able to get the 5 year old to stop saying “What the f***?”
I mean I think he was always going to be this kind of underrated first line do-everything player, but Rod has definitely instilled that defensive side of the game in the kid. Would not shock me if he started to get real Selke consideration as he continues to develop though playing in Raleigh I doubt he'll win one unless we win a cup with this core.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
What I inferred from reading this is either:
a) Ponomarev needs JK's job
or
b) TDA would make a better 2c than Coconut.
Aho on quite the heater. Nice to see Turbo working well with aho again as well.

Jarvis has really played well on a consistent basis. If RBA can figure out KK, depth looks very solid. I want him to succeed and was very impressed with his 2nd half performance last season. something seems off with his game right now.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I mean I think he was always going to be this kind of underrated first line do-everything player, but Rod has definitely instilled that defensive side of the game in the kid. Would not shock me if he started to get real Selke consideration as he continues to develop though playing in Raleigh I doubt he'll win one unless we win a cup with this core.
Has a winger ever won the Selke?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

1707499277785.png

Pretty sure Jere Lehtinen won more than once

Three times.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
It was maybe a month ago or so? Dom’s list of front runners for Selke, based on his data/algorithm, included quite a few wingers.

If I’m remembering correctly he had Staal at #2 and Turbo was somewhere in the top 15. I believe the Hurricanes were the only team with two players on the list.

It feels like if Staal could up his points production, even slightly, he might could sneak in a Selke win. But I’m afraid that ship has sailed. Plus it’s hard when Barkov is putting up PPG+ numbers like he does. It’s probably going to be Barkov’s award to loose in the foreseeable future. As long as his health holds up and he plays 65+ games a season. He’s the next Bergeron IMO.

JustJonK

Actually... *very* close but no cigar. Also, wasn't natural. I didn't remember that OTT won it in the end.

View attachment 816827

Waitaminute....

I must be missing something. I see four goals for Matthews for the Laffs, three for the Sens (Ryan and Karlsson in the first, Brassard in the second), *No Goals Scored* in the third, *and* the Sens won on an overtime goal by Turris.

That's an even more bizarre game than the 'canes and the Avs yesterday....

Reactions: Tryamw and Lempo

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Waitaminute....

I must be missing something. I see four goals for Matthews for the Laffs, three for the Sens (Ryan and Karlsson in the first, Brass *No Goals Scored* in the third, *and* the Sens won on an overtime goal by Turris.

That's an even more bizarre game than the 'canes and the Avs yesterday....

Good catch. I got this as a screenshot from ESPN:

It's missing the first Turris goal:
"Turris scored his first of the game 6:45 into the third, tying the game at 4-4, before scoring his second in overtime to give Ottawa the extra point."

Last edited:
Reactions: JustJonK and Tryamw

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
When I watched that play I immediately thought, is this the player he was always going to be, or did Rod turn him into this? And now he’s taking face offs on the PK in his own end. It’s like he’s trying to become the RW version of Rod.

I’m glad I wasn’t watching with my kids or I’d never be able to get the 5 year old to stop saying “What the f***?”
Well his rookie year Rod immediately played him over Necas, and the reasons were obvious defensively. He has that natural knack for not showing the defenseman the puck and shielding it one on one, as well as always making the smart choice with his passes. Even then he’d choose to make the safe pass up the boards to the point instead of an iffy option in the middle. Took few risks with the puck. That’s Rod’s love language so he immediately gave him good minutes.

I think this was the core issue with Necas and the one year he didn’t progress and bounced around the lineup. Rod took to Jarvis and gave him some roles Necas was expecting to play which cut his confidence but also showed that from day one Jarvis understood how to play smart and defensive minded even when you have the puck.

Reactions: geehaad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad