OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, Navy, Gtown, Mystics, Golf, Fall 2020-Spring 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
what you want to see them fight and bicker over who the top dog is again? Already seen that movie....sadly, probably what we get stuck watching again.
All Beal has said the last year is how much he wanted to play with Wall again. He signed an extension in part because he thinks he and Wall can form a championship nucleus and he wants to give it a shot. They may have had issues when they were both young and learning how to be pros but I think any talk of them bickering is overblown and a thing of the past.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
All Beal has said the last year is how much he wanted to play with Wall again. He signed an extension in part because he thinks he and Wall can form a championship nucleus and he wants to give it a shot. They may have had issues when they were both young and learning how to be pros but I think any talk of them bickering is overblown and a thing of the past.

we’ll see. Beal is saying all the right things as he should as the top dog now. He signed to get his, period, not some fairy tale about winning with Wall lol. Beal knows this is his team, they’re likely stuck with Wall and his mega deal, so he’s trying to make the best of it.

I think Wall will be proven a shadow of his former self.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
we’ll see. Beal is saying all the right things as he should as the top dog now. He signed to get his, period, not some fairy tale about winning with Wall lol. Beal knows this is his team, they’re likely stuck with Wall and his mega deal, so he’s trying to make the best of it.

I think Wall will be proven a shadow of his former self.
Hmm, don't think I agree. He could have already been paid anyway and still off this team if he felt otherwise. He signed an extension after Wall was hurt -- and after he had already signed for the 5-year max deal before the 2016 season -- to stay through 2022-23 and explicitly said he thinks he can win here and he wants to win here and he wants to give the organization the chance for Wall to come back and for them to add more talent to the roster. He could have also forced the organization's hand at the TDL this year when the Heat and others were banging on Sheppard's door -- again, after he had already been paid -- if he wasn't comfortable with the organization.

My sense is they see how this year goes and if they stink, they trade Brad next summer as his new deal is about to kick in when he'll have max value.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

I remember Jordan saying this team had a bright future after his Bulls swept them 3-0. Then it all fell apart that summer.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
So he wants out of his contract then. Is that a new thing?

How is this suddenly destroying sports?
Destroying sports? Who is saying that?

I suppose the argument is around players not wanting to honour contracts to these franchises they make them with?

Sure, it’s always happened in sports, but seemingly with more and more regularity. And seemingly lead by the NBA.

It’s certainly changing sports. Part is bad, and maybe part is good.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

I remember Jordan saying this team had a bright future after his Bulls swept them 3-0. Then it all fell apart that summer.

Man I still remember the trade day getting CW AM sports radio was like modern day twitter when it came to somewhat real time discussion.

As far as Wall just no idea how he will look post injury but that being said even more time from injury time who knows but I'm fairly bullish. The way the Wall/Beal contracts I believe they both out at the same time. Believe that they'll roll with them this season but if it is a disaster I can see Beal being traded as the most valuable asset for yet another rebuild.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Hmm, don't think I agree. He could have already been paid anyway and still off this team if he felt otherwise. He signed an extension after Wall was hurt -- and after he had already signed for the 5-year max deal before the 2016 season -- to stay through 2022-23 and explicitly said he thinks he can win here and he wants to win here and he wants to give the organization the chance for Wall to come back and for them to add more talent to the roster. He could have also forced the organization's hand at the TDL this year when the Heat and others were banging on Sheppard's door -- again, after he had already been paid -- if he wasn't comfortable with the organization.

My sense is they see how this year goes and if they stink, they trade Brad next summer as his new deal is about to kick in when he'll have max value.

never said he wasn’t comfortable taking Ted’s money. The rest is marketing lip service. He was in a no-lose scenario by signing an extension.

you want to believe that’s a sign of his conviction about winning with Wall, well I disagree. It was a sign that it’s his team now.

As Shep said, they’re building around Beal...Wall is an afterthought IMO right now in comparison and I personally think they would love to be done with him. He’s a guy who’s entire game is built on his speed and he’s damaged goods now.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Wizards considering dealing Wall.

Put it this way. If you get a huge supermax deal you better deliver.

They acted like Wall was Ovechkin in basketball and he wasn't. He was a good guard but the franchise was crippled giving Wall supermax money. Doesn't help that Wall hasn't played for the team in nearly 2 years :laugh:

Sep 19, 2008

They had a bright future too after taking Boston to 7 games in the 2nd round.

Then they finished 8th and got swept.

And that was their last playoff run. :laugh:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I suppose the argument is around players not wanting to honour contracts to these franchises they make them with?

Sure, it’s always happened in sports, but seemingly with more and more regularity. And seemingly lead by the NBA.

It's a bit of a hyperbolic paraphrase.

This issue cuts both ways, though. One side of the table can give up on the deal and trade the player, but the other side can't? I know such provisions are usually worked into contracts now. Does Harden have a NMC or any terms that allow him to control where he's traded? I don't know. But I see no reason a player shouldn't be able to initiate a trade request the same way a GM can shop that player, if both sides are equal partners in the contract.

IMO the trouble starts when the player lowers his trade value by lipping off too much and decreasing the leverage, as Trent did. If Harden is doing that he's a moron, but NBA is not exactly like the NFL and a guy like Harden will draw a premium no matter what.

Sep 19, 2008
The NBA has legislated a lot of the passion and love out of basketball. You used to be able to hit people or shove people. Ever since Detroit you can't fight or shove another player anymore, even though you see it happen constantly in the NFL and the most you get is at least unsportsmanlike and 15 yards.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The NBA has legislated a lot of the passion and love out of basketball. You used to be able to hit people or shove people. Ever since Detroit you can't fight or shove another player anymore, even though you see it happen constantly in the NFL and the most you get is at least unsportsmanlike and 15 yards.

It wasn't Isaiah's Detroit that did it, it was guys like Artest and Sprewell who took it too far and put the league in possible legal trouble.

80s-90s Detroit's bad boy bullshit (I hated them) helped create the Rodman we knew, and made MJ beef up. So the net effect was good, I guess, if you count the Bulls rise to power as a byproduct. Then it got out of hand.

I also hated Miller's Pacers for their constant goonery and moving picks, which to me was different from fighting under the boards for rebounds.

The NBA suffers now because it's all been done. In the 70s and 80s the high-flying showtime dunking etc was new. Then MJ seemed to perfect it in the 90s and in the 2000s onward it's been a quest for "the next Jordan". Nobody called Magic or Bird "the next" anyone.

When you're scoring 100+ points a night and there's very little defense it's just kind of the same shit over and over, isn't it? If every player today can do just about everything Jordan did there's not really a reason to hold your breath and watch every trip down the court in anticipation of something special happening. Maybe the Warriors 3 point festivals qualified for a while, I don't know.

IOW there are a whole lot of guys getting rich off of the foundations created by those before them, but not really bringing any innovation or "specialness" to the table. I don't hate the NBA but I also don't get excited about it for that reason.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Used to be you didnt get divorced. Then it became possible and some people did it. As those people showed it could be done more people have done it.

Lets be honest. The NTC or NMC no longer means that the cant be traded or moved. Teams have found ways to do it anyway and so more do it

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
This is so crazy to me since many of the owners do, and Trump is going to be out of office in a couple weeks. The NBA has really lost control of its players.
Why is it crazy? I am not going to get into the specific details about the politics or policies driven by that statement but why is not wanting to work for an employer whose views don't align with yours or whose views you think are dangerous and threatening crazy or out of control? Why is not wanting to line the pockets of someone you don't agree with an unreasonable position to take?

And it's not just the NBA. People are leaving very high paying jobs at Facebook left and right because they think MZ has done a lot of damage to democracy and he refuses to take responsibility for the part FB plays in spreading misinformation. People are leaving Amazon in part because of the way front-line workers have been treated during the pandemic. People left companies like Goldman and JPM when they felt bad about the part the banks played in the financial crisis. There's no rule that says you have to shut up and deal with it just because someone is writing your paycheck.

Not directing this at you by any means but I find it funny and ironic (and pretty pathetic) that the self-proclaimed defenders of capitalism and free markets get all pissy when someone decides to bring their talents to market and find a new employer because they don't support the views of their current or former employer when a free labor market is one of the bedrock pillars of our economic structure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad