OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, Navy, Gtown, Mystics, 2019-2020, Vol 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
lol pre merger champ

ravens took all those brown championships lol not.

Also had the expos won any championships they sure as hell wouldnt meant squat here

Green Bay counts their pre-merger titles. Why shouldn’t the Skins?

The Ravens didn’t. As part of the relocation agreement the Browns name, team colors and team records/history were left in Cleveland.

And if the Expos won a championship it would have followed the team to DC. That’s why Tim Raines, Andre Dawson and Gary Carter are in the Nats Park ring of fame despite having jack **** to do with the Nats or DC.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Bragging about NFL Championship trophies from when Franklin Roosevelt was president. That totally paints the franchise as being worthy of being described as Champions.

So titles won by the Red Wings and Yankees in 1937 and by the Maple Leafs and St Louis Cardinals in 1942 don’t count?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
So titles won by the Red Wings and Yankees in 1937 and by the Maple Leafs and St Louis Cardinals in 1942 don’t count?

are you seriously trying to ...somehow.....someway....support the Skins here?

I could add any “but why??” GIF’s, however it’s not needed.

most of the free pro sports world cares about championships since they’ve been alive. I witnessed the 3 Redskins Super Bowl wins...it was glorious.

but this current team is as far from that as is humanly possible.

seems like you want to simply be a curmudgeon here. So....have at it.

Reactions: Calicaps

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
Green Bay counts their pre-merger titles. Why shouldn’t the Skins?

The Ravens didn’t. As part of the relocation agreement the Browns name, team colors and team records/history were left in Cleveland.

And if the Expos won a championship it would have followed the team to DC. That’s why Tim Raines, Andre Dawson and Gary Carter are in the Nats Park ring of fame despite having jack **** to do with the Nats or DC.

Thats why Walter Johnson is in the hall as a Minnesota twin?

Synder isnt dying for at least 30 years so plenty of time for the other DC franchises to win

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Monikers are Worst in Show over the last 30 years as far as DC teams go...

...and that’s incredible since they play in the same city as the Wizards.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The reality in DC is that there's a generation who is in, entering, or has just graduated from high school/college that only knows DC with four major sports teams. The other reality is that throughout their lifetimes the Caps have been one of the best teams in the NHL year in and year out, the Nats have been competitive or very good for most of this decade, the Wizards have alternated between good and bad, and the Redskins have been mostly atrocious. This is really the first time that a generation has been given an option to root for local winners (Wizards don't really apply) over the local laughingstock football team. Lifelong fans are leaving the team in droves but I don't think I've ever really considered than an entire generation probably feels zero connection towards the Redskins. Odd.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I was never a deyed-in-the-wool Skins fan and mostly think football is boring, but you can't have grown up in DC in the '70s and '80s and not have been affected by Skins mania. They were Champs. The players were basically f***ing superheroes. And I got to hang out in the owner's box at RFK a few times in high school. They were part of the fabric of the city. I can belt out HTTR with the best of them.

So even not being a fan, if you're an old like me you absolutely know what Snyder and his band of brigands have taken from DC. And if you think about it for even a moment, that was not easy. They had to really work to break that bond.

And so yes, fan or not, I will revel in mocking this franchise for what it is today because they f***ing deserve it.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Oops... Mod fail. Forgot which thread I was in.

I guess we should stop talking about the Skins in this thread. Not gonna move posts but further discussion should be taken to the Skins thread.

How are the Wiz doing?

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
Wizards had some good teams the last 20 years. Of course they had some terrible ones too. Wizards have won at least several playoff rounds.

Also winning the world series in 24 when baseball was the primo sport and legendary players and teams (27 yankees) etc is nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Interesting....

It is but also predictable. He pitched lights out in the playoffs and was the WS MVP. He is up for a significant raise.

Local beat reporters have said if he did opt out that the odds he stays in DC are high because he and his wife love living here. But him opting out makes resigning Rendon remote, IMO. Not enough money to go around.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
It is but also predictable. He pitched lights out in the playoffs and was the WS MVP. He is up for a significant raise.

Local beat reporters have said if he did opt out that the odds he stays in DC are high because he and his wife love living here. But him opting out makes resigning Rendon remote, IMO. Not enough money to go around.
They need to keep Rendon and Stras. Jettison other guys where needed. Those 2 are possibly the backbones of the team, with zero offense to Max and Soto.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
They need to keep Rendon and Stras. Jettison other guys where needed. Those 2 are possibly the backbones of the team, with zero offense to Max and Soto.

Zimmerman, Kendrick, Parra, Cabrera and others are free agents but them coming off the books isn’t enough to cover two 250 to 300 million contracts over so many years contracts. Plus, Zimm and the rests roster spots need to be replaced.

My guess is they throw all they can behind resigning Stras, because Rizzo favors paying starting pitchers over position players, and they offer a respectable deal to Rendon not to embarrass him. Then move forward with Keiboom replacing Rendon at 3rd next year.

Also, Trea Turner will need a new deal soon along with Soto and Robles.

Sep 19, 2008
The thing I've been thinking is that the Nats and Caps are the only teams that are going to win titles, other than the Mystics of course.

Both organizations have had strong front offices for a while now, and repeated playoff mishaps. Eventually things are going to go your way. Everything that was set up in place for both orgs to succeed has not been present in The Redskins or Wizards organization. So it's unlikely you'll see the Wizards or even Redskins raising titles too, the success is limited to t hose two teams. And that's fine if they want to edge towards a dynasty.

As for the Wizards I was at the game last night and they just didn't show up :laugh: 30 point blowout :laugh:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Zimmerman, Kendrick, Parra, Cabrera and others are free agents but them coming off the books isn’t enough to cover two 250 to 300 million contracts over so many years contracts. Plus, Zimm and the rests roster spots need to be replaced.

My guess is they throw all they can behind resigning Stras, because Rizzo favors paying starting pitchers over position players, and they offer a respectable deal to Rendon not to embarrass him. Then move forward with Keiboom replacing Rendon at 3rd next year.

Also, Trea Turner will need a new deal soon along with Soto and Robles.
You keep Rendon over Turner.
You keep Strass over Corbin

Rendon and Strass made 44m this year (average salaries). So they bump to say 65m. Thus not impossible to solve.

Soto will be kept. They can make it work, but obv will lose some players along the way. Max only has 3yrs left as it is

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
You keep Rendon over Turner.
You keep Strass over Corbin

Rendon and Strass made 44m this year (average salaries). So they bump to say 65m. Thus not impossible to solve.

Soto will be kept. They can make it work, but obv will lose some players along the way. Max only has 3yrs left as it is

It was discussed in the media after the 19-31 start that it was no coincidence that when Turner came back from his broken finger the team started wining. I remember Davey saying at some point in the 2nd half of the season that Turner was their MVP. Turner is one of the best lead off hitters in the league and pretty good at SS. He needs to be resigned.

As for Corbin over Strass, that choice isn’t an option unless the Nats trade him. Corbin has 5 years left on his contract.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
It’s been well known since July Stras was opting out and Rendon was a Free agent. Rizzo should have a plan in place.

My guess is they both get deals around 30mill over 7 years. Know who knows if it the Nats that pay them

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Rendon and Strass made 44m this year (average salaries). So they bump to say 65m. Thus not impossible to solve

Yeah on a year by year basis these are not likely to be that much of increases.

Strasburg opted out of a deal that was going to pay him $100 mil over the next 4 years, in an oddly structured 25, 15, 15, 45 deal. He’ll get more on a per year basis but not that much more, let’s just say 30 per on average. The Nats can easily afford that. The question is how many additional years at that kind of rate do they want to sign on for? He’ll be 35 in 4 years so I’d definitely do 5 years but 6 would be a big stretch and no way 7. I could definitely see someone else give him 7 though.

Rendon made $18.8 mil this year. So if you give him $30 per it again isn’t that big of a yearly increase all things considered and not something the Nats couldn’t afford. He turns 30 next season so again how many years does he want? Supposedly they already offered him around $30 per for 7 years. Does 8 years at that rate get it done? Does it need to be the Arenado contract, 8 years at an average of $32.5, but starting at a 28 year old season? This one I’m really not sure what I would do.

Hopefully the current trend of not giving big money long term contracts to veterans in MLB for the most part continues. As long as the terms don’t get too long I feel the Nats can easily compete on rate for both and definitely think they can bring them both back.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
For real with the 18m we save be opting out on Zimmerman it could easily cover Stras and Rendons raises

I wouldn’t mind going with a new direction for 1B. We can easily find a younger cheaper replacement to do what Zimmerman does

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad