OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, Navy, Gtown, Mystics, 2019-2020, Vol 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Sounds like Rendon is gone.

He is. And he got the same deal as Strasburg. At least he went to an American League team.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Bizarre thing to say about the best position player on the first ever Nats team to win a world series.

I'm strictly referring to his contract decision, not to his previous years in DC. Stand by it. He went to a terrible team with little change to win, where he has no connection to, and the only real reason was deferred money.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
They will pay pitching. If Rizzo and the Lerners are all in on starting pitching I get it. But letting Rendon and Harper walk for comp picks is tough to sallow. If we didn’t win the WS the fans may have walked away

Reactions: Hivemind

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

MP is the most electrifying runner in college football and anyone who says otherwise hasn’t watched him. No one else has his combination of straight end speed and agility. He’s 6th in the NCAA as a rusher even though he plays QB. And I’ll go to my grave arguing that both he and Keenan Reynolds should have been invited to New York as Heisman Trophy finalists. I so wish he didn’t get hurt against Memphis. If he didn’t Navy would be playing in the Cotton Bowl.

I hope they restore order to the universe and beat Army by 30. The inferiority complex with that school is funny to watch and it starts with their chump coach Jeff Monken who left Navy to coach at Georgia Southern because he couldn’t raise the ranks in Annapolis.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I'm strictly referring to his contract decision, not to his previous years in DC. Stand by it. He went to a terrible team with little change to win, where he has no connection to, and the only real reason was deferred money.

well for some once they win a championship they look to ensure they secure their future. Not saying he couldn’t live off less, just saying this was his “make the most of it” financially to set up his family moving forward.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
well for some once they win a championship they look to ensure they secure their future. Not saying he couldn’t live off less, just saying this was his “make the most of it” financially to set up his family moving forward.

I read somewhere last night he is very good friends with Trout. That’s probably a factor as well.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Yep... cya! Didn't care about winning, didn't care about going "home", just cared about money, nothing else.

Nats made the right choice.

Don't agree with this take. The Angels have a solid lineup and a ton of cash remaining to find a pitcher or two. They aren't true contenders as constructed but if they get some more pitching they can make some noise. And maybe he's attracted to the challenge of helping the underdogs win rather than joining a super team. Some people are attracted to the process.

I think another key aspect here is that he continues to not be the face of the franchise or play in a big time market. With the Angels it's like choosing the Clippers over the Lakers where as if he chose the Dodgers he'd be in the national spotlight on a team expected to win a World Series next year that's also facing a ton of scrutiny after falling short the past two years, and a lot more would be expected from him from a PR perspective. And maybe he didn't want to go to an NL team as a sign of respect to the Nats. Conversely, if he went home he'd be the star attraction as the hometown kid returning to his roots just as they opened their new ballpark and expectations would be sky high.

Seems to me the Angels are the perfect landing point for him to slide under the radar and out of the spotlight, as much as a guy who just signed a $245mm contract can. My overall point is that Rendon is a different dude. He definitely does not seem like the guy who went to Boras and said, "I'm going to the highest bidder, everything else be damned."

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Maybe the Lerner's could stop trying to pay players in 2045 for games played in 2020...

The Lerners just won a World Series with four top starting pitchers and a carefully constructed roster that spends at or near the lux tax every year. Deferred money was fine for Max, fine for Stras, but somehow it's a bad strategy for Rendon? Baloney.

They paid Stras interest to reduce the PV hit that deferring takes. This is how they build a WS roster, but Tony wanted his money now, so he went to a team with little chance to win anything. If he cared about winning he would have stayed with the champs. He cared about cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad