OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, Navy, Gtown, etc., 2016-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Do Baltimore fans generally root for DC NBA, MLS and NHL teams (leagues they are not represented in as a city, and because they are close by) or do they hate everything DC?

Baltimore sports fans generally like DC teams for sports they don’t have with the Caps being a clear favorite. During the national anthem at home games you’ll hear the crowd scream “O” during the “O say does...” section in tribute to the O’s (Orioles).

There’s really not a lot of hate on either side. Some die hards hate the Redskins / Nats and vice versa but it’s generally pretty cordial and it’s mostly a friendly rivalry. It helps that in the NFL and MLB they’re in different conferences. I grew up in a Baltimore suburb but am DC sports through and through; I grew up with friends that are Ravens/Orioles fans and friends that are Redskins/Nats fans. Mostly just friendly shit talking.

I think another thing that helps bond DC and Baltimore with regards to hockey is the hatred for Pittsburgh. Ravens fans hate the Steelers. No explanation necessary for Caps/Pens. A common enemy between both cities.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Do Baltimore fans generally root for DC NBA, MLS and NHL teams (leagues they are not represented in as a city, and because they are close by) or do they hate everything DC?

The “O” chant during the anthem at a Caps game should tell you. It’s an Orioles thing and should only be used at Orioles games but.......Baltimore fans can’t help themselves.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The “O” chant during the anthem at a Caps game should tell you. It’s an Orioles thing and should only be used at Orioles games but.......Baltimore fans can’t help themselves.

I wasn’t an O’s fan growing up, but I grew up with that at Caps games. I see no problem. I’ve just changed my yell from O to Ovy! Did that when he was drafted.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Did you all see that Wilbum said the best team for Lebaby was the Wizards? LOL. Yeah, right. Like they would ever happen.

It's honestly not that far fetched. The Wiz have some assets that would be attractive to a team like the Cavs who are going to suck eggs when (not if) LBJ leaves them this summer, i.e. 15OA, Porter, Oubre, Sato. The Cavs could either flip Porter/Oubre for future draft picks or keep them as young guys to build around. He also joins a squad that hates Boston and this just ups that rivalry that much more. The Wizards are easily the best team in the East w/ Wall, Bron Bron, and Beal and joining the Wizards almost guarantees him another shot at the Warriors only with a much better supporting cast. Brooks has coached a Big 3 of Durant, Westbrook, and Harden before... he could figure out it.

If LeBron says to Dan Gilbert, "I am leaving Cleveland and I am signing in Houston, Washington, or LA," well, who knows? I think they have a better chance of landing LeBron than they did Durant.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It would suck to have to trade much for LeBron. I’d want a minimum 3 year deal, no opt outs. Better options for him I think. I hope he goes to the Lakers myself if not here. San Antonio is intriguing.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It would suck to have to trade much for LeBron. I’d want a minimum 3 year deal, no opt outs. Better options for him I think. I hope he goes to the Lakers myself if not here. San Antonio is intriguing.

Can't see any way he goes to San Antonio with Pop as coach. That offense would be a terrible fit for him. LA is really meh.

Honestly, there aren't a ton of great options for him. There's no option that seems like a no-brainer.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
LeBaby going to the Spurs (or any team in the West not named Warriors or Rockets) would end his run of finals appearances at 8. Unless his new team can finish 1st overall in the west, he’d have to beat BOTH the W’s and Rock’s to make the finals. Fat chance. He may not even make the WCF!

I think he stays in the East. Matter of where. Outside of Cleveland...Philly makes a lot of sense. Back to Miami. And then....Perhaps DC

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
NBA Draft is tonight. Hopefully Ernie doesn't do something dumb but I'll be surprised if they actually make the pick. It's more likely he packages it to get rid of Gortat. If they do keep the pick, I'd like to see Robert Williams (C, Texas A&M), Miles Bridges (SF, Michigan State), or Gary Trent, Jr (SG, Duke) wearing a Wizards jersey next year. Williams and Bridges would help a terrible frontcourt while Gary Trent is a sharpshooter who could be a great Beal / Otto compliment coming off the bench.

That said, Ernie's probably gon' Ernie.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
NBA Draft is tonight. Hopefully Ernie doesn't do something dumb but I'll be surprised if they actually make the pick. It's more likely he packages it to get rid of Gortat. If they do keep the pick, I'd like to see Robert Williams (C, Texas A&M), Miles Bridges (SF, Michigan State), or Gary Trent, Jr (SG, Duke) wearing a Wizards jersey next year. Williams and Bridges would help a terrible frontcourt while Gary Trent is a sharpshooter who could be a great Beal / Otto compliment coming off the bench.

That said, Ernie's probably gon' Ernie.

I dont even care right now. Sure, if they do something worthwhile, it may spark some interest....but if they dont, I wont get worked up. At all.

I would think Ted would really want to focus on this team now, to complete his duality championship....but maybe not. They need to overhaul the roster, and it does start with Gortat and Mahimni. Oubre and Porter are redundant. Morris I like, but he's aging.

Lots to do. I think Ted *should* make a huge pitch to LeBron. WTF can it hurt? Trade Porter and Mahimni and their first to Cleveland. Trade Gortat out to make some additional room.

Move Morris to the C (sign a backup big for size), and start LeBron at 4, Oubre at 3. Oubre and LeBron can mix and match w Morris.

What a starting 5-- Wall, Beal, Oubre, James, Morris. Wins the east, easily.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I dont even care right now. Sure, if they do something worthwhile, it may spark some interest....but if they dont, I wont get worked up. At all.

I would think Ted would really want to focus on this team now, to complete his duality championship....but maybe not. They need to overhaul the roster, and it does start with Gortat and Mahimni. Oubre and Porter are redundant. Morris I like, but he's aging.

Lots to do. I think Ted *should* make a huge pitch to LeBron. WTF can it hurt? Trade Porter and Mahimni and their first to Cleveland. Trade Gortat out to make some additional room.

Move Morris to the C (sign a backup big for size), and start LeBron at 4, Oubre at 3. Oubre and LeBron can mix and match w Morris.

What a starting 5-- Wall, Beal, Oubre, James, Morris. Wins the east, easily.

If Cleveland is taking Mahinmi back the asking price is likely going to be 2018 1st + 2019 1st + Kelly Oubre + Otto Porter. Mahinmi has one of the worst contracts in basketball. I'd still pull the trigger on that deal without giving much thought to it though.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
If Cleveland is taking Mahinmi back the asking price is likely going to be 2018 1st + 2019 1st + Kelly Oubre + Otto Porter. Mahinmi has one of the worst contracts in basketball. I'd still pull the trigger on that deal without giving much thought to it though.

Considering LeBron can just walk away for free (and they get nothing), I'm not sure the Cavs have that much leverage here.

Wiz can dump contracts elsewhere too, so I wouldnt see Cleveland being able to make much in the way of "demands".

BUT...who am I kidding. Lebron isnt coming to DC. No chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad