Nationalities in NHL breakdown

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Norway never being close to Sweden and Finland has always been funny to me

Norway is an Alpine mountainous country. Sweden and Finland are more flat and had thousands of lakes (Or just bodies of water in general). Denmark I'm not so sure why it's not as popular (Hockey), and Iceland well same thing as Norway and it's super isolated. But I'm changing the Iceland factor. Going to open a hockey school there eventually. Faroe Islands and Greenland need zero explanation.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
They have on rinks. And no viewers. I went to a couple of Bergen Flyers games when I was living there and the small hall (3000 people capacity) was almost empty. That's the second biggest city in Norway.
All they do is ski. Literally.
Since no one else really seems to give a f*** about ski-ing, they have become a cross country ski-ing super power, winning everything.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
USA Hockey development program has been killing it lately, so many good young players coming up, with top end skill.

Wish US Soccer would take a note and try to implement something similar.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Slovakia declining is kind of interesting. They had some big stars less than 10 years ago (Gaborik, Hossa, Chara, Demitra, Satan), but they've been quiet for a while in terms of producing high-level talent. Makes you wonder how good their hockey program really is or if it was a bit fluky that they had all those stars at the same time.

Weren't like half those players born on the same street and grew up together? Talk about a fluke.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
You must have skipped a few history lessons.
Not sure what History has to do with the fact that Leo Komorov was BORN in Estonia.

Is this a list of where players were born or Nationalities that players "Self-Identify with"
upload_2017-10-27_13-37-40.png

I'm ready for my history lesson.
Thanks !

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Not sure what History has to do with the fact that Leo Komorov was BORN in Estonia.

Is this a list of where players were born or Nationalities that players "Self-Identify with"
View attachment 81447

Thanks !
No such country as Estonia existed as a sovereign state back when Leo was born.
So your list is invalid by default.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
No such country as Estonia existed as a sovereign state back when Leo was born.

OK. That was a great history lesson.
I thought Estonia got back it's official country status in the late 70s.

Leo Born: January 23, 1987 (age 30), Narva, Estonia
The Estonian Sovereignty Declaration was issued on 16 November 1988.
On 20 August 1991, Estonia declared formal independence during the Soviet military coup attempt in Moscow, reconstituting the pre-1940 state.
The first country to diplomatically recognize Estonia's reclaimed independence was Iceland on 22 August 1991.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estonia#Return_to_independence

#LessonAccepted ! Thanks.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Slovakia declining is kind of interesting. They had some big stars less than 10 years ago (Gaborik, Hossa, Chara, Demitra, Satan), but they've been quiet for a while in terms of producing high-level talent. Makes you wonder how good their hockey program really is or if it was a bit fluky that they had all those stars at the same time.
There has been all kinds of infighting and poor management in the Slovakian leagues recently. I consider them to be a tier below the German and Swiss leagues now. Satan is in charge of the Olympic team now, though, so hopefully there's a bit of a renaissance as more and more NHLers return home. When guys like Gaborik/Chara/Hossa formally retire, hopefully they turn to management because the Slovakian program deserves better.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark alongside Switzerland are quietly making their mark on the league. As of this season, there are almost half as many Swiss player as there are Finns, Czechs and Russians in the league, and there are equal numbers of Slovakian, German and Danish players:

Canada 346
USA 194
Sweden 81
Finland 33
Czech 31
Russia 31
Swiss 14
Slovak 7
Germany 7
Denmark 7
Austria 3
France 3
Aussie 1
Latvia 1
Slov 1
Norway 1

(Source: Quanthockey.com)

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Crummy deal for Europeans who supply a bunch of their best players yet don't get to see them live. Not only that but because of time zones they can't even watch them live on TV/internet at convenient hours.

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
I hope Iceland appears on that list one day. Hopefully my son lol. Viktor Arvid Gunnars/Anders/Lars/Rasmus/Johannes/Johans son (IDK which full name I'm going to change my name to lol).

Barhninson, Genoson, Schlikmittonsson just some suggestions

Last edited:

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Crummy deal for Europeans who supply a bunch of their best players yet don't get to see them live. Not only that but because of time zones they can't even watch them live on TV/internet at convenient hours.
It's quite the opposite for TV/streaming viewers, as every NHL game is available on NHLtv. I don't even know if every European national league game gets tv coverage in all countries.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden

It used to be at least. It's much easier now with on demand services and with every single NHL game being televised.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
What's interesting is that of the 'young guns' and future faces of NHL so many are non-Canadian. If Rasmus Dahlin goes first in the draft next year that will be the first time three non-Canadians have gone first in a row. Matthews, Hirscher, Dahlin. All three finalists for the Calder were non-Canadian. Matthews, Laine and Werenski.

Apart from McDavid, of course the best of them all, you have Matthews, Eichel, Laine, Draisaitl, Nylander, Ehlers, Pastrnak. And below them, Larkin, Werenski, Hanifin, Granlund. What else is striking is that so many of them are from non-traditional countries. Canada will always make up a majority of players in the league, but as of now they've lost a step in producing elite players and the rest of the world is catching up fast.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
All they do is ski. Literally.
Since no one else really seems to give a **** about ski-ing, they have become a cross country ski-ing super power, winning everything.
...and they cheat a lot. Literally every single cross county skier from Norway has asthma.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What's interesting is that of the 'young guns' and future faces of NHL so many are non-Canadian. If Rasmus Dahlin goes first in the draft next year that will be the first time three non-Canadians have gone first in a row. Matthews, Hirscher, Dahlin. All three finalists for the Calder were non-Canadian. Matthews, Laine and Werenski.

Apart from McDavid, of course the best of them all, you have Matthews, Eichel, Laine, Draisaitl, Nylander, Ehlers, Pastrnak. And below them, Larkin, Werenski, Hanifin, Granlund. What else is striking is that so many of them are from non-traditional countries. Canada will always make up a majority of players in the league, but as of now they've lost a step in producing elite players and the rest of the world is catching up fast.
Canada produces the most players, but not the most skilled.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It used to be at least. It's much easier now with on demand services and with every single NHL game being televised.
You expect me to waste my time on a on demand game that is already finished? Doesn't work for me.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

View attachment 81447

Thanks !
Here is a lesson. It's a list of players legal nationality. Regardless of their place of birth or what they identify with the most.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
OK. That was a great history lesson.
I thought Estonia got back it's official country status in the late 70s.

Leo Born: January 23, 1987 (age 30), Narva, Estonia
The Estonian Sovereignty Declaration was issued on 16 November 1988.
On 20 August 1991, Estonia declared formal independence during the Soviet military coup attempt in Moscow, reconstituting the pre-1940 state.
The first country to diplomatically recognize Estonia's reclaimed independence was Iceland on 22 August 1991.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estonia#Return_to_independence

#LessonAccepted ! Thanks.
Leo born in Narva, Estonian SSR, USSR.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Seeing Canada's numbers drop so steadily and that fact that everyone praises it as being good for the game depresses and annoys me. And people say sunbelt fans have it the hardest...

There, I said it.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Are we pretending anyone in Europe gives a shit about hockey?
It's popular in Finland, Russia and parts of Sweden. That's about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad