Nationalities in NHL breakdown

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
USA program is rising fast. The sheer number of U.S. population bodes well for it.
LeeIs, wow had no idea you were still posting here. We used to have a lot of laughs on the Leaf board. :laugh: :thumbu:

For me it's been a pleasure to watch other nations hockey programs develop and their players close the gap. Most of those ridiculously over-matched teams have improved dramatically and the outcomes aren't so easily predicted. It makes for better hockey.

Reactions: LeeIs and NyQuil

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
I would assume the KHL draws more from the Czech Republic and Finland than from Sweden because the jump from Liiga and Extraliga to the NHL may be too big, meanwhile not many swedes play in KHL before going to the NHL. Also if you are established in KHL you may have a smaller incentive to get to the NHL as compared to SHL'ers.

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.
LeeIs, wow had no idea you were still posting here. We used to have a lot of laughs on the Leaf board. :laugh: :thumbu:

For me it's been a pleasure to watch other nations hockey programs develop and their players close the gap. Most of those ridiculously over-matched teams have improved dramatically and the outcomes aren't so easily predicted. It makes for better hockey.

I post very lightly now unlike those days ;) I see you're undercover now.

Reactions: bukwas

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Pretty much as expected. USA, Sweden and Finland hockey programs have grown every year and continue to do so.

Hockey is growing slowly but steadily in other countries, Switzerland especially.

Russia, Czechs and Slovaks were only allowed in NHL in the 90s, but since then their programs have lost some of the funding. KHL contributes to some of those figures also.

There is something with those numbers that is misleading. Some of the Czechs and Slovaks were able to defect and play in NHL earlier then 1990. But I believe they had to give up the citizenship of their native countries, hence the percentages don't reflect that.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There is something with those numbers that is misleading. Some of the Czechs and Slovaks were able to defect and play in NHL earlier then 1990. But I believe they had to give up the citizenship of their native countries, hence the percentages don't reflect that.

I was wondering about that myself.

But I thought that maybe they were just taking samples from 1980 and 1990 specifically and perhaps guys like the Stastny brothers actually played in between those two dates so they don't show up.

I didn't look it up though, so I could be mistaken.

EDIT: Yeah, Peter Stastny definitely played in 1990. So it's some oversight.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I hope Iceland appears on that list one day. Hopefully my son lol. Viktor Arvid Gunnars/Anders/Lars/Rasmus/Johannes/Johans son (IDK which full name I'm going to change my name to lol).

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
But he plays for Finland lol.
That's where he learned the game :).

Please no more discussion re: Komorov.
He plays for the Leafs.
You aren't allowed to discuss anything that can be traced to an issue that might be relevant to the Leafs. Very dangerous.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Slovakia declining is kind of interesting. They had some big stars less than 10 years ago (Gaborik, Hossa, Chara, Demitra, Satan), but they've been quiet for a while in terms of producing high-level talent. Makes you wonder how good their hockey program really is or if it was a bit fluky that they had all those stars at the same time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad