Nationalities in NHL breakdown

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
What's interesting is that of the 'young guns' and future faces of NHL so many are non-Canadian. If Rasmus Dahlin goes first in the draft next year that will be the first time three non-Canadians have gone first in a row. Matthews, Hirscher, Dahlin. All three finalists for the Calder were non-Canadian. Matthews, Laine and Werenski.

Apart from McDavid, of course the best of them all, you have Matthews, Eichel, Laine, Draisaitl, Nylander, Ehlers, Pastrnak. And below them, Larkin, Werenski, Hanifin, Granlund. What else is striking is that so many of them are from non-traditional countries. Canada will always make up a majority of players in the league, but as of now they've lost a step in producing elite players and the rest of the world is catching up fast.

Canadians are trending down, its under 50% already and USA is catching up.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Seeing Canada's numbers drop so steadily and that fact that everyone praises it as being good for the game depresses and annoys me. And people say sunbelt fans have it the hardest...

There, I said it.

Well, Canada is in no danger of being outside of the top two countries producing NHL players in our lifetimes, quite frankly. I think Canada could use another NHL team if anything, but I'm fine with us being one of the greatest producers of top-end talent in the league rather than completely monopolizing that title.

What I'm most curious about is how strong of a correlation there is between national interest and number of NHL players. i.e. over the past decade given the changes in #s, has Slovakian interest decreased? Has Danish and Swiss interest increased? Canadian interest certainly has not waned much.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Tonight a Swedish record was set when 5 different Swedes scored in the Colorado - Carolina game. Have any other nationalities done that apart from Canada and the US?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad