World Cup: National Team threads #2

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Norway coach playing Sorloth at left wing. He's a huge striker, even bigger than Haaland, my man's gassed after 10 minutes hahahah Also I came for Haaland but staying for Bobb, he's super exciting playing at this level (against Czech Republic B team)

After I was just hyping Bobb he took a ball, went through two defenders and scored a great solo goal. Norway had a lot of chances afterwards, but the Sorloth-Odegaard (arguably their worst player today) and Haaland trio have all been too cute, trying to pass the ball into the Czech net. And Norway's defense+goalie combo are lulz, on the Czech equalizer Bobb was alone in the box defending four opponents haha. After equalizing against the run of play, Czech has taken over the game.

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
First game tonight under new coach Hašek. Tuned in when we were down 0-1 and it looked pretty dire, impressed by the turnaround, some nice play in there as the game went on.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Argentina take on El Salvador thanks to Mr.Bungle aka Claudio Tapia. At least it gets the team used to the US in preparation for 2027, the Copa and already having a permanent base constructed in Miami.

Formation of 3-5-1-1
Dibu- Perez, Romero, Tagliafico---Paredes , de Paul, di Maria, Enzo, Gonsalez -Lo Celso -Lautaro

Good to see Perez get a chance. Hopefully Barco and Garnacho get their run outs against Costa Rica. I think as soon as the Copa concludes the oldest players like Otamendi and Guido Rodriguez, Pezzella will be jettisoned. And likely di Maria and even Messi retire from the field.

The corps is already experienced and tested and still young esp. the midfield so that should ensure Argentina remains near the top of the world game even without Leo. And Angelito. He is also world class.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Netherlands really poor playing out from the back, Scotland pressing high and twice win the ball just outside the 18 yard box but can’t finish. I remember the Dutch were doing the same thing against the US at the World Cup, complete cruise control then they were reckless in their own penalty area :laugh:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Netherlands really poor playing out from the back, Scotland pressing high and twice win the ball just outside the 18 yard box but can’t finish. I remember the Dutch were doing the same thing against the US at the World Cup, complete cruise control then they were reckless in their own penalty area :laugh:

The Dutch goals have been nice though. Reijners with a good long range shot near the top corner, his 1st NT goal.

And Wijnaldum back with NT after long injury absence, good run into the box to score a well taken header after a nice cross.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Columbia now unbeaten in 20 matches after beating Spain 1-0. Luis Diaz beat two defenders near the touchline to pass for Munoz to score with a nice volley.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Comfortable wins for the seniors. u23 also won 4-2 against Mexico. Could have scored more but that defence is suspect.

Soule's goal is superb. His overall play too. He looks destined to be di Maria's successor.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Looks like we'll be starting some iteration of this 11 :-/

Wirtz - Havertz - Musiala
Gundogan - Kroos
Andrich
Mittelstädt - Tah - Rüdiger - Kimmich
ter Stegen
--------------------------------------------
Havertz
Wirtz - Gundogan - Musiala
Andrich - Kroos
ter Stegen​

Don't love going with both NT-Kai up front and Kroos in the midfield, I would take one of them off for Füllkrug.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Brahim Diaz had a strong debut for Morocco. Nearly scored, super active with and without the ball and you could tell the team is looking to make him to focal point among forwards. He showed some nice chemistry with Ben Seghir too.

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Looks like we'll be starting some iteration of this 11 :-/

Wirtz - Havertz - Musiala
Gundogan - Kroos
Andrich
ter Stegen
--------------------------------------------
Havertz
Wirtz - Gundogan - Musiala
Andrich - Kroos
ter Stegen​

Don't love going with both NT-Kai up front and Kroos in the midfield, I would take one of them off for Füllkrug.
Just when you think things are starting to progress and come together, JN decides to big brain it and try Kai back at the 9. f***ing hell. Might as well have called up Timo to shank sitters instead if this is the plan.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Just when you think things are starting to progress and come together, JN decides to big brain it and try Kai back at the 9. f***ing hell. Might as well have called up Timo to shank sitters instead if this is the plan.

I get the logic with how dangerous France is. Overload the midfield to bolster our possession play to limit the chances they get on the counter and the space they have to build, then bring Füllkrug on once we've come to grips with their danger.

But yeah, I would've started Nic from the get go.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Handball rules are completely made up on the fly. Ireland gets a penalty for the ball ricocheting off a Belgian chest from a foot away into his arm.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Chilwell showing how much England miss Shaw
Chilwell has yet to get a good rhythm since coming back from injury, he's still really far off the pace. Bears noting also that this is his first match in about a month.

With both fit and in form, Chilwell is a quite a bit better in my opinion. But we haven't seen him in form since the knee injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad