Switzerland: National team discussion

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
The team for the Arosa challenge:

Leonardo Genoni (HC Davos), Tobias Stephan (EV Zug)

Severin Blindenbacher (ZSC Lions), Eric Blum (SC Bern), Félicien Du Bois (HC Davos), Philippe Furrer (HC Lugano), Robin Grossmann (EV Zug), Romain Loeffel (Genève-Servette HC), Dominik Schlumpf (EV Zug), Patrick Von Gunten (Kloten Flyers)

Andres Ambühl (HC Davos), Damien Brunner (HC Lugano), Gaëtan Haas(EHC Biel), Gregory Hofmann (HC Lugano), Lino Martschini (EV Zug), Simon Moser (SC Bern), Inti Pestoni (HC Ambri-Piotta), Kevin Romy (Genève-Servette HC), Gregory Sciaroni (HC Davos), Reto Suri (EV Zug), Morris Trachsler (ZSC Lions), Julian Walker (HC Lugano), Samuel Walser (HC Davos)

I don't see the point of picking such a strong team for an exhibition tournament. At least give some rest to the Davos and Lugano players before the Spengler cup, or drop those who have shown their worth at the Deutschland cup.

This seems to be the "Swiss" team, probably Fischer wants to have a first tournament with his new team.

Surprised and disappointed that Roman Wick is not in. I thought he could consider returning with another coach that would know him as a former mate.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
So, it seems that Fischer is trying to apply the same system he tried in Lugano. I'm not sure that playing such an agressive forechecking is sustainable in international hockey, too many games over a short period of time. On the positive side, there wasn't any of the defensive breakdowns that happend so often to Fischer's Lugano, but it was probably a result of having a superior roster and being in possession of the puck most of the time, we still need to see how things will go against top teams, or even against a WC caliber Norway.

Looking at individual players, once again a very strong tournament from Suri and Martschini, I hope they can finally perform during the WC training camp. Finding the right center for this line is a bit tricky due to the difficulty of fitting between two guys who already have such a strong chemistry. Even though Haas played very well, I never had the impression he was the right guy for the role. On the other hand, not so great play from the Moser-Romy-Brunner line. Brunner tried a lot but often had no support, and Moser didn't have his best games, although I'm confident he'll do better next time (his presence around the net is needed anyway). I'm not sure what to think about Romy, no offensive contribution in last year's WC and he's not having his best season with Geneva either. Maybe he would be better in a bottom six role and Haas can be tried with Brunner and Moser?

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
I dont want to speak about world cup but rather have a guess on the JO 2018.
The projected lineup could be something like this:

Niederreiter - Hischier - Baertschi
Meier - Malgin - Fiala
Hollenstein - Andrighetto - Brunner
Ambuhl - Richard - Moser

Josi - Sbisa
Streit - Diaz
Geering - Blum
Kukan - Dubois
Müller

Genoni -Berra

Assuming of the progress of guy like Hischier who could rise quickly and take the lead of the team, and than the coach would use only one check line. Some use 2 checkline but i'm not a big fan of it.

Last edited:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Not sure about Andrighetto at center. Also, it's just one year from now, it's unlikely that all three of Hischier, Malgin and Meier will develop enough to make the olympic team.

Romy should make it at center, and Haas could with a good WC in 2017. There's also a chance :eek::eek::eek::eek:i can bounce back after leaving ZSC.

Moser will get more responsibilities, his presence around the net is needed. He's worked well with Niederreiter but I'd rather split them to balance the net presence. Possible winger pairs could be Moser with Brunner, Niederreiter with Andrighetto and Fiala with Bärtschi, although that would leave Hollenstein on the 4th line.

On defense, I see Kukan in the top 4. Not sure about pairing Geering with Blum, or what to think of Weber and Sbisa.

kulenova seka

With more likely that NHLers won't go to Korea, how would NHLless Swiss team look like ? Do you think players like Andrighetto or Fiala would get chance to play as they are on two way contracts ?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
No NHL-players would probably mean no players with contracts with NHL-teams which would eliminate Fiala and Andrighetto (altough Andrighetto is out of contract).

There is a lot of talent overseas nowadays, but we still could send a solid team. Hiller/Genoni in the net, a defence around Diaz, Furrer, Du Bois and an offence with Romy, Brunner, Hollenstein, Moser and Ambühl looks like a solid base.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
One thing for sure,
there have been times when the rosterpicks were more obvious to predict. With one WHC still to play, the uncertain status of the overseas players, and the National team in a transitional period.

My "looong" list still contains 18D, 9C and 16W. :)

Im especially uncertain, what will happen with the C situation. The old leaders are on the downswing or turned fragile. And then the youngest are the most talented. And will Richard play at the OG possibly without any WHC experience? I insist, I want to see Corvi at the WHC. He could be the Center for the first PP till Hischier/Malgin are ready.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I still have hope for Haas at center. Let's see if he can perform at the WC. Not sure how good Corvi can be, but the Trachsler - Walser - Schäppi - Walker center depth from last year is probably not the most difficult to crack. :help:

There's no point in trying to predict the Olympic team before the WC anyway. Four years ago nobody would have thought that Bodenmann, Suri, :eek::eek::eek::eek:i and Gardner would go to Sochi.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Show us your "looooong" list. :)

I still hope for an NHL-participation. It would just harm the sport if they weren't there.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I somehow forgot Suter --> 10 C.

I included the last cuts as well (from the very looong list :) )
If the NHL players aren't coming, they could be added to the list.

Sorted by age:

Streit -------------- Trachsler ------------ Ambühl
Blindenbacher ------Romy ----------------------- Brunner
Dubois ------------- Schäppi ----------------------Walker
Furrer -------------- Haas ------------------------Bodenmann
Diaz ----------------Walser ---------------------- Moser
Blum --------------- Corvi------------------------ Hollenstein
Schneeberger ------ Richard ---------------------D.Wieser
Weber -------------- Suter ----------------------- Baltisberger
Sbisa ----------------Malgin----------------------- Vermin
Geering ------------ Hischier --------------------Niederreiter
Josi ----------------------------------------------- Bärtschi
Untersander -------------------------------------- Hofmann
Loeffel -------------------------------------------- Andrighetto
Marti -------------------------------------------- Simion
Kukan---------------------------------------------- Fiala
Müller ---------------------------------------------- Meier
Rathgeb
Siegenthaler

And the last cuts:

Helbling --------------------- Froidevaux ----------Bieber
Grossmann ----------------- :eek::eek::eek::eek:i --------------- M.Wieser
Schlumpf ----------------------Fuchs -------------- Scherwey
Sutter --------------------------------------------- Martschini
Frick------------------------------------------------ Bertschy
---------------------------------------------------- Praplan
--------------------------------------------------- Rod

Some obvious omissions?

Oups, that was a bit too ambitious to create manual collums on the phone.:D
Sorry for the mess, had to do quite a lot of editing .

Last edited:

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I still have hope for Haas at center. Let's see if he can perform at the WC. Not sure how good Corvi can be, but the Trachsler - Walser - Schäppi - Walker center depth from last year is probably not the most difficult to crack. :help:

There's no point in trying to predict the Olympic team before the WC anyway. Four years ago nobody would have thought that Bodenmann, Suri, :eek::eek::eek::eek:i and Gardner would go to Sochi.

Im on the same boat about Haas, had quite a bumpy start to his international career at the last WHC.
Definitely one of the best swiss 2-way Centers.

Question is, if Corvi brings the athletic skills to gain a 1st/2nd line Centerspot 5vs5. Im not sure about that either, but IMO he's the most well -rounded offensive Center at the moment. Puckskills, shot, pass, IQ, he's got a bit of everything. They could give him 3rd Line duties 5vs5 and let him orchestrate one of the 2 PPs?

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Streit -------------- Trachsler ------------ Ambühl
Blindenbacher ------Romy ----------------------- Brunner
Dubois ------------- Schäppi ----------------------Walker
Furrer -------------- Haas ------------------------Bodenmann
Diaz ----------------Walser ---------------------- Moser
Blum --------------- Corvi------------------------ Hollenstein
Schneeberger ------ Richard ---------------------D.Wieser
Weber -------------- Suter ----------------------- Baltisberger
Sbisa ----------------Malgin----------------------- Vermin
Geering ------------ Hischier --------------------Niederreiter
Josi ----------------------------------------------- Bärtschi
Untersander -------------------------------------- Hofmann
Loeffel -------------------------------------------- Andrighetto
Marti -------------------------------------------- Simion
Kukan---------------------------------------------- Fiala
Müller ---------------------------------------------- Meier
Rathgeb
Siegenthaler

And the last cuts:

Helbling --------------------- Froidevaux ----------Bieber
Grossmann ----------------- :eek::eek::eek::eek:i --------------- M.Wieser
Schlumpf ----------------------Fuchs -------------- Scherwey
Sutter --------------------------------------------- Martschini
Frick------------------------------------------------ Bertschy
---------------------------------------------------- Praplan
--------------------------------------------------- Rod

Some obvious omissions?

No obvious omission to me. Maybe you're a bit quick at cutting some of the wingers, Bieber and Wieser certainly have the potential to make the team and Bertschy and Praplan can still develop over the next 12 months. I haven't seen much of him since he left ZSC, but :eek::eek::eek::eek:i seems to be doing better lately. We'll see what he can do next season, Lugano has tons of good wingers but is short at center, that will put him a situation to succeed.

And the depth on defense doesn't look great. Guys like Marti or Loeffel have obivous shortcomings, I don't think Schneeberger or Untersander can ever get any better, and 2018 might be too early for the younger guys.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Blindenbacher retired from international play, didn't he?

The depth on the wing is impressive, quite difficult to crack the roster there. Center is weak, we know that, Malgin and Hischier could improve this in the forseeable future. Depth on D without NA-guys is ugly, beside Diaz, Blum and Geering there is not much with the potential to lead the team to a good display at the WC.

I read that Fischer plans to held a camp in the next summer with some younger guys (also from NA). I think that's a good idea.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Oups, got blindsided by Blindenbachers retirement.;)
That doesn't really improve the situation on defense. Haven't seen a lot of Gotteron games this year and +/- is a dangerous stat to interpret, but Rathgeb's numbers look atrocious. Has one of you seen enough to put it into context?

And Schneeberger has obvious flaws, but some qualities that are rare among Swiss Ds. And he was surprisingly convincing at last years WC, but I think as well his chances are slim.

And as you two said, Wing-depth is impressive, even if none of them is a real star (Nino might be on his way though). M.Wieser was the last cut I did, even if the NHL players aren't available, I think he'll just miss it. And I haven't seen a good Bieber game in quite some time, and there are younger more physical options IMO for 4th Line duties. I think he could be done with the NT. But you never know. Even among the wingers that were in the group of thesecond to last cut, there are guys who aren't completely out of competition. Sciaroni, Jörg, Herzog, L. Hischier, Thürkauf. Bertschy, unless he returns to Switzerland, could have a hard time cracking the top9 against the NHLers, and I don't think he's an option for the 4th line. Maybe as a 13/14th forward.

With :eek::eek::eek::eek:i you never know, still even if he finds his best game again, the flaws he has are significant. But Im happy he finally left Zürich. He must get out of the comfort zone again.

How do you guys see Corvis qualities, not about his chances making the team, but gamewise? Am I the only one who sees abit of magic in it?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Damien Riat scores in his first international game after 1:37, in his second after 1:27. :)

Very interesting player, always plays with a lot of energy and also quite skilled.

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
Not sure about Andrighetto at center. Also, it's just one year from now, it's unlikely that all three of Hischier, Malgin and Meier will develop enough to make the olympic team.

Romy should make it at center, and Haas could with a good WC in 2017. There's also a chance :eek::eek::eek::eek:i can bounce back after leaving ZSC.

Moser will get more responsibilities, his presence around the net is needed. He's worked well with Niederreiter but I'd rather split them to balance the net presence. Possible winger pairs could be Moser with Brunner, Niederreiter with Andrighetto and Fiala with Bärtschi, although that would leave Hollenstein on the 4th line.

On defense, I see Kukan in the top 4. Not sure about pairing Geering with Blum, or what to think of Weber and Sbisa.

I agree with lots of your remarks, possible than the Olympic games come too early for Hischier and Malgin. Places can be taken by Romy for sure and perhaps Haas. Even if this last one have still all to prove at international level.
Perhaps better to put Ambuhl - instead of Andrighetto - in center due to the lack of depth in this position. And if Moser has the level of the last WM, he ll go in first line for sure.

For the defense, I think Sbisa is a very better player this year than the last ones. His level is way better and make him undoubtedly a top 4 with his present level.

Happy than this thread can restart :)

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I think there is not much of a doubt that Romy is the best center we have, if he's healthy. Hischier will contest him soon, but not in one year. But I'll think we'll see either Malgin or Hischier centering the second or third line. Mostly because the lack of depth at this position.

Meier has a good chance I think, also because he's a player you can bring in a 4th line with more defensive duties but also in a line which should score. He'll be 21 next year, hopefully full-time nhl-player, I don't see why we should take a defensive forward from the NLA with limited skills if a player with elite skills can take the same job.

But first, let's wait if the NHL really allows their players to join. ;)

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
How much one year can change. There is no question that Hischier is our best Center now.

And with yesterdays decision there is a good chance that Switzerland is a contender for a medal in Sout Korea.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Nice to have this topic active again!

Crazy how things changed since February. Romy was supposed to be a lock at center, but with his play this season and the WC performance of Almond, Haas and Suter he's unlikely to make the Olympics.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
To be fair, Romy also had some bad luck with injuries. And the older you get the longer you need to get in shape and overcome injuries.

Brunner seems to be ready for his comeback, I still think he could be an option if he stays healthy and is able to get in shape. Moser is out with an injury for 4-6 weeks, that could be a close call for the Olympics. It's a difficult task for Fischer because the depth has risen so much, the top players play in NA and won't be available but behind that there are (especially on Offence) a lot of guys who are able to make an impact and Fischer has to find out who's the best in February.

Defence worries me a lot more, not many options there, would be crucial not to lose anybody to an injury. Goalkeeping seems to be quite clear, Genoni and Hiller, Senn gets probably #3.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Romy has had injury problems for as long as I can remember, he was dropped from the Olympic team right before the tournement twice already. Brunner is of course an option, but he should only come if he's 100% healthy. Last year he didn't fully recover in time for the world championship and couldn't skate properly, and he was far from his level. Moser should come back 2-3 weeks before the break, that should be enough to evaluate him.

The defense should be more or less the same as last year, with Blum replacing Kukan. The biggest question mark is Loeffel, who is having a poor season, but I'm not sure who could replace him.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I don't think there is a way around Geering this time, nearly 1 PPG and if he's in shape (he wasn't last spring) he's probably the most consitent and solid swiss defender who plays in Switzerland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad