National media coverage

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
But hey, I just saw Judas and Toews sharing a couch together in an NHL network commercial. Judas actually showed some emotion wearing his Leaf uniform. Traitor loves the spot light.
Hope he's enjoying that spotlight right now! A friend tweeted out the video of the TSN guys ripping him with the #LeafsForever hashtag LOL.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
......Which will be so much better when this organization wins. I actually enjoyed listening to the 3rd period on XM driving to my hockey game last night. The Pens announcers were noticeably complimentary of Barzal who by the way is the main story whenever you hear about the Islanders. We need to be patient here. Lou and Trotz are building something here which may not bring Torrey and Arbour results but it will bring respect to this franchise and possibly a cup winner someday.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Sometimes I want to forget that this organization exists too. :sarcasm:

To be fair, I see Barzal talked about a decent amount on NHL Network.

I watched the Pittsburgh feed last night. One of the announcers couldn't pronounce his name (Bar-zill) and referred to Anders Lee as Anders Nilson. Not a lot of household names here.

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
Mismanagement and drafting high are completely separate. Edmonton are also the team that dealt Hall.
Edmonton has the best player in the NHL. Simply my point. Sure you can get stars who slipped through the cracks later in the draft but the majority of Superstars are drafted high.
Right, so the moral here is that all the great draft picks in the world aren't going to get you anywhere if your management sucks. Case in point, the Isles for large portions of the 90s and 00s. And as we've been over many times here, drafting high still doesn't guarantee anything. For example, Chicago was lucky to strike gold winning the lottery and getting Kane in '07, but PHI, PHX, LA, and WSH were all worse than CHI but ended up players who, while serviceable, simply weren't guys who will take you to the promised land.

Even if you do land a stud in the draft, that still isn't a guarantee of anything if your team culture sucks, and teams that tank have a losing culture by default. The Islanders can and hopefully will be avoiding this mindset going forward, much to the dismay of draft futurists here and elsewhere. It's a stupid idea.

I did not say Hawks or Kings tanked. They didn't need to. Tanking is a strategy I'm suggesting.
This is correct, I misread your previous post. However, I also noticed your claim that the Penguins tanked for Crosby, which is very interesting since A) the season before Crosby's draft was lost due to the lockout and B) all 30 teams had a realistic chance to win that lottery. How long have you been following hockey?

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Ironically I was in the car for about 3 hours today and I heard a ton of Islanders talk - including Art Staple.

Basically the first time I’ve listened to nhl network and I was pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: nyisles

joekono

Apr 29, 2016
Roxbury,New Jersey
I noticed that the NHL network has mentioned "The liar" more times since the TML got him in July then for the 10 years the Islanders had him. Most of those shows are tilted towards the north of the border teams.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Nobody cared about the Penguins before they got Sid and they were even rumored to be moving. They got no national attention (except for the rare time Lemieux would play-but any team would obviously get attention for that).

Ah correction - "they got Sid" should read "were given "
My wife said don't eat all the candy . My tummy hurts

Happy Halloween
LGI

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
I feel like there's so much content out there about the NHL and plenty of stuff about the Islanders that I don't really care if TSN et al ignore us.. with Stape, Newsday, LHH, NYI PB, and of course our HF forum, I kinda get all the NYI content I care to consume anyway...

Reactions: xECK29x

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I noticed that the NHL network has mentioned "The liar" more times since the TML got him in July then for the 10 years the Islanders had him. Most of those shows are tilted towards the north of the border teams.

Yes. It fuels the Leafs fans’ delusion that they’re relevant, interesting, and important.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Because tanking does not give even close to a guarantee. If we are last place we only get a 20% chance at 1st overall
Is first overall the only prize available in the draft? Anything top 5 is worth it. Those who think that tanking is not a legitimate topic for discussion are the same people satisfied with just getting into the playoffs. You see it all the time on these pages, 'if we do x or we trade y, we can make the playoffs'. Personally, I don't really GAS about just making the playoffs. The goal is Cup finals and Cups and if tanking can get you there rather than:

1) finishing middle of the pack or
2) sneaking into the playoffs then
3) getting a 17th-25 th pick then
4) staying in the middle of the pack year after year because
5) you "just want to make the playoffs"

then I am all for tanking.

Do I think it is the right option for this team right now, no, I think we may be on to something with this team with lots of cap room to make some moves at the deadline if we are SUBSTANTIALLY in the hunt, but if come Jan or Feb our chances are only mathematical, or worse, we have reverted to where the preseason prognostications said we would be then I am all for filling up the tank. But we have time.

Having said that, the worst thing that could happen to us is that we remain a bubble team right up to the end with the false hope that we can actually do something if we do sneak in.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Right, so the moral here is that all the great draft picks in the world aren't going to get you anywhere if your management sucks. Case in point, the Isles for large portions of the 90s and 00s. And as we've been over many times here, drafting high still doesn't guarantee anything. For example, Chicago was lucky to strike gold winning the lottery and getting Kane in '07, but PHI, PHX, LA, and WSH were all worse than CHI but ended up players who, while serviceable, simply weren't guys who will take you to the promised land.

Even if you do land a stud in the draft, that still isn't a guarantee of anything if your team culture sucks, and teams that tank have a losing culture by default. The Islanders can and hopefully will be avoiding this mindset going forward, much to the dismay of draft futurists here and elsewhere. It's a stupid idea.

This is correct, I misread your previous post. However, I also noticed your claim that the Penguins tanked for Crosby, which is very interesting since A) the season before Crosby's draft was lost due to the lockout and B) all 30 teams had a realistic chance to win that lottery. How long have you been following hockey?
I remember that the NYR had a shot at Crosby as well. That's a long time ago to remember the specifics.

Keyserfrans

Feb 14, 2015

Hockey in Canada and, especially Tornto, is almost like religion. Everybody there follows hockey, compared to what? 1/20 in the US, and probably less in NY?

Numbers are just guestimates from me!
We need some cups to change that...

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
We got a mention on Hockey Central yesterday (huge in Canada, plays in US too)
"What about a little love to the New York Islanders?."
"Doubled up on Pittsburgh."
"They are sitting three points behind the Leafs with a game in hand and they are scoring. Barzal stays in the number two hole and the number one line is scoring."
"Lee takes over the captaincy and has been outstanding in a big year for him."
"And Bailey."

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
We need some cups to change that...

As always, this is what it boils down to. Win games consistently and the coverage will come.

For now I'll settle for seeing a post game "Press Conference" that is more than just Shannon interviewing Trotz.
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Keyserfrans

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I remember that the NYR had a shot at Crosby as well. That's a long time ago to remember the specifics.
Was Crosby drafted after the lockout and therefore all team names were just thrown into a hat basically to determine draft order? Or maybe it was weighted somehow towards teams that were bad the previous year? I think that happened one time and Crosby might have been the time.

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
Wikipedia said:
draft order was determined by lottery on July 22, 2005. Teams were assigned 1 to 3 balls based on their playoff appearances and first overall draft picks from the past three years. According to the draft order, the selection worked its way up to 30 as usual; then instead of repeating the order as in past years, the draft "snaked" back down to the team with the first pick. Therefore, the team with the first pick overall would not pick again until the 60th pick. The team with the 30th pick would also get the 31st pick. The new CBA reduced the draft to seven rounds in length, compared to nine rounds in years past.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I feel like there's so much content out there about the NHL and plenty of stuff about the Islanders that I don't really care if TSN et al ignore us.. with Stape, Newsday, LHH, NYI PB, and of course our HF forum, I kinda get all the NYI content I care to consume anyway...

Between HF and Islandermania I feel like I don't need other outlets to talk about the Isles. I get more insight talking to all of you then I ever could listening to some media personality.

Reactions: xECK29x

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

Each team started with 3 balls. You lost a ball for one of the following scenarios:

-Each playoff appearance for the 3 previous seasons (01/02, 02/03, 03/04)...this is why we only had 1 ball.

-1st overall draft pick over the previous 4 years

Every team was guaranteed at least 1 ball. Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh had 3 balls and thus the best odds to win (I'm pretty sure the Rangers also had 3. The main controversy was Feaster (TBL GM at the time) complaining saying that Tampa's ball got stuck during the selection and claimed it was unfair that they'd automatically be drafting last due to it (in all fairness though they had just won the cup before the lockout so the story didn't completely blow up in the NHL's face).

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Is first overall the only prize available in the draft? Anything top 5 is worth it. Those who think that tanking is not a legitimate topic for discussion are the same people satisfied with just getting into the playoffs.

It doesn’t happen pal. Everyone would have to be on board to tank, and there is too much at stake. For example, telling Lee, Ebs and Nelson to ease up won’t happen. To tell Lehner to let goals in won’t happen. They are playing for millions on their next contracts. You cannot bench them. Someone point out how a team goes about tanking? I can see sitting a key player the last game of the season, but how exactly do you tank in November - March? Doesn’t happen.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Should the owners allow a team to tank? They are desperately trying to win games so that they fill seats for the holiday time and second half of the season and build excitement around this team as they build a new arena.

The GM is trying to change the perception and have UFAs come here and have players not include the Islanders on no trade clauses.

Does losing help in any of those areas? Nope!

Winning changes things

Tanking is a hoax and does not happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad