National media coverage

Discussion in 'New York Islanders' started by Isles Junkie, Oct 30, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Isles Junkie

Isles Junkie In Lou We Trust

I know that we're just the lowly Isles and who really gives a damn. But it annoys me when I listen to the NHL station on XM, or the NHL Network and we never get mentioned. I was listening to XM in the car the other day and they were previewing the games of the week. For every game they'd spend about 2 minutes going over the keys for each game, and what's going on with each of the teams playing.

When they talked about the Pens v Islanders, all that was mentioned about us was that we were in fact the team that the Penguins were playing. They spent the time talking about how the Pens are rolling now and how they've won their last 4 games and how they're 1st in the league in scoring. I get it, they're the Penguins, a perrenial cup contender and we're the Islanders. But they didn't talk about us at all. We have 3 players who are producing at over a point per game. Our goaltending has been solid so far. We are 4th in the league in goals against. We are a measly 3 points behind the "rolling" Penguins. They don't need to go super in depth, but it just annoyed me how every other team got some sort of a mention about what is going on with them good or bad, and all they had to say about us is that the Penguins are going to play us on Tuesday and Thursday.

I'm just so tired of being the organization that the NHL forgets exists. I understand that is the own organizations fault, but yesh, I just wish everyone in the media would give us our 2 minutes sometimes.

Cygnusx1018 likes this.
  2. GrandmaSlices51631

GrandmaSlices51631 Registered User

Have you been hanging with Ho-Sang? No one cares about your damn Islanders. Go back to Brooklyn you Junkie!

3. MJF

MJF No Sleep Till Elmont

Home Page:
    When the team stops being a serial loser and 3 ring circus they’ll get coverage.

Surfrat and Eberzal like this.
  4. 13th Floor

13th Floor Registered User

Plus, nobody really gives a **** about us in general. People who both love and hate the Penguins (which covers almost everyone), wants to hear and talk about the Penguins. The media is out for responses and views, not for equal coverage.

5. PK Cronin

PK Cronin Bailey Fan Club Prez

Part of it is that Islanders fans, by and large, are hockey fans in addition to being Islanders fans. They can completely ignore our team and we'll still listen because of it, so they're not actually risking losing listeners and by catering to us they won't gain any either. Not until we have a bandwagon will we get attention.

Keyserfrans likes this.
  6. ScaredStreit

ScaredStreit Registered User

Nobody cared about the Penguins before they got Sid and they were even rumored to be moving. They got no national attention (except for the rare time Lemieux would play-but any team would obviously get attention for that).

7. 13th Floor

13th Floor Registered User

I don't disagree. They weren't always cared about, especially when they sucked pre-Crosby, but there's no doubt that people care about them now (positively or negatively). That's all I was saying.

8. Newsworthy

Newsworthy Registered User

Which makes me wonder why people are so against tanking?
    If NY could replace JT and possibly land another Crosby why not try and lose for the future.

9. nyisles

nyisles Registered User

Please keep the embarrassing tank advocacy contained in the embarrassing tank thread.

10. Thrasymachus

Thrasymachus Registered User

I have long ago accepted that is just the way it is, unfortunately

We have to win a cup to be relevant again

Or at least be consistent contenders for a few years

11. Cygnusx1018

Cygnusx1018 Registered User

Because tanking does not give even close to a guarantee. If we are last place we only get a 20% chance at 1st overall

sabremike likes this.
  12. Newsworthy

No guarantees for sure. That's why it's a lottery. But you have to be in it to win it.
    Pittsburgh tanked for Crosby. Washington was so bad they didn't have to tank for AO. Same with Hawks and Kane. LA with Doughty.
    I see A recurring theme here. The last decade of winners all have the same thing in common. They were once really bad and won after drafting either first overall superstars or top five talent.

13. MikeyMike01

MikeyMike01 U.S.S. Wang

I prefer things the way they are

I do wish they got some more local attention though

14. Jester9881

Jester9881 Registered User

Everything is ratings driven.... they aren't going to talk Islanders because that isn't what the majority of people want to hear. Stinks, but that's how it is.

Richie Daggers Crime likes this.
  15. nyisles

nyisles Registered User

Chicago tanked for Kane and LA tanked for Doughty? :huh: Little bit of history revision going on there. Those teams just sucked organically after years of poor management, like the Islanders have plenty of times.

Your “recurring theme” conveniently makes no mention of Edmonton, who despite a litany of recent top-5 picks - several of those #1 overall, including being gifted McJesus - can’t put together a winner. Tanking is garbage.

16. BTrotts19

BTrotts19 Registered User

We gotta continue making noise, force them to sit up and pay attention. We are only 11 games in now, if we are still relevant at the all-star break.

17. bigtim1988

bigtim1988 YES! YES! YES! YES!

property manager

He’s also forgetting our tank job in 09 that got us the Traytoor, but 0 Stanley cups. He was a franchise talent, and we thought he would be our Crosby or Kane, and lead us to a cup, but it didn’t work out that way.

I could MAYBE support tanking if it went by the old rules, where the worst team had a ~25% chance of retaining the 1st pick, but with the changes in the lottery, it doesn’t guarantee the worst team will retain the #1 OA pick, and could end up picking 4 at worst

nyisles likes this.
  18. Brunomics

Brunomics Registered User

Seriously, stop listening to NHL XM. For hockey talk it's one of the worst stations out there. Stick to the podcasts that cater to Isles fans if you want to here Isles centric stuff.

Why are you even paying for XM? It's a waste of money. Download soundcloud for some hockey podcasts and use pandora/spotify/ect. for your music needs in the car.

19. Newsworthy

Mismanagement and drafting high are completely separate. Edmonton are also the team that dealt Hall.
    Edmonton has the best player in the NHL. Simply my point. Sure you can get stars who slipped through the cracks later in the draft but the majority of Superstars are drafted high.
    I did not say Hawks or Kings tanked. They didn't need to. Tanking is a strategy I'm suggesting.
    I'm tired of nediocrity. You can have the greatest coach and a good GM but you still need talent to win. Like the majority of team sports This is a draft building league.

20. Newsworthy

You know what your forgetting.
    How the Islanders won the Cup in the first place and how they became a Dynasty.

21. FUJudas91

FUJudas91 AKA Rehabguy, just one of the betrayed.

But hey, I just saw Judas and Toews sharing a couch together in an NHL network commercial. Judas actually showed some emotion wearing his Leaf uniform. Traitor loves the spot light.

22. IwayMike

IwayMike Registered User

Just go to TSN.ca/NHL and the only article listed directly about the Islanders is about Ho-Sang. There is an article about the Pittsburgh shooting victim ceremony. To see anything about the game you have to scroll the "Around the NHL" area to the second group of articles. So basically, you have to hunt for anything positive about the Islanders.

23. seafoam

seafoam Registered User Sponsor

Sometimes I want to forget that this organization exists too. :sarcasm:

To be fair, I see Barzal talked about a decent amount on NHL Network.

Keyserfrans likes this.
  24. Isles Junkie

Isles Junkie In Lou We Trust

just bought a car & I got a 90 day free trial.

25. Brunomics

Brunomics Registered User

Oh ok, my bad if it came across as me jumping down your throat. Meant it more that there are options at your disposal which you might like better.

And congratulations on the new car!