Nathan MacKinnon: 100 points in his last 76 (regular season) games.

mattcookefan

Nov 6, 2013
Matt Cooke's house
His last 76 games aren’t “now”. They’re the past just like his first four seasons are the past and all of it is relevant to predicting what he’ll do in the future. Obviously recent history is more important than less recent history but it’s still all relevant.
But hes only been getting better every year, so im not sure that matters as far as projections are concerned

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It's been two games. Yes he had a good year last year, no one debated that. Avs fans themselves said that he looks off, points come easily the first month of the season. Come back to me in March if he is still putting up insane numbers and I will admit he is legit.

So he is not a legit player in your mind? Okay.

In all honesty, why does everyone discussion about these young players result in some sort of $%^& match? It is as if you admit that MacKinnon is a pretty good young player, it somehow diminishes the talent level or projection for a Matthews, or a McDavid, or an Eichel, or a Barkov, or whoever for that matter. Seriously, the level of insecurity displayed on these boards never ceases to amaze me.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
His last 76 games aren’t “now”. They’re the past just like his first four seasons are the past and all of it is relevant to predicting what he’ll do in the future. Obviously recent history is more important than less recent history but it’s still all relevant.

His prior seasons before last year tell us he isn’t actually McDavid level. He likely won’t put up 1.3ppg or compete for the Art Ross/Hart this year. Beyond that, I don’t think his prior seasons are all that relevant at all. Again, he was 22 last year, not 27. MacKinnon seems to be the only player on the planet people think is incapable of improvement after the age of about 19.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
hey everyone, mackinnon's last year was a fluke he wont ever be that good again. please dont give him any extra attention (nhl teams that includes you and making game plans against him) and ignore that he exists, us colorado fans will just have to deal with having him on a 6+ million dollar contract for years and years. what will we ever do?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Mackinnon isn't even in his prime yet. It's perfectly normal to have an uptick in production from 20 onwards. Even if he doesn't produce at 1.3 ppg this season I can guarantee you he'll have more seasons like the last one before 30.

It's also expected in Mackinnon, who in terms of pedigree was second only to McDavid on draft day.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Crazy that he's still only just 23. Feels like he's been around alot longer.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
[Mod]

So he is not a legit player in your mind? Okay.

In all honesty, why does everyone discussion about these young players result in some sort of $%^& match? It is as if you admit that MacKinnon is a pretty good young player, it somehow diminishes the talent level or projection for a Matthews, or a McDavid, or an Eichel, or a Barkov, or whoever for that matter. Seriously, the level of insecurity displayed on these boards never ceases to amaze me.

I never said that you are putting words in my mouth. It is not at all a lie to say prior to last year, MacKinnon was seen as a disappointment given his pre-draft hype, and his rookie season (In which he played wing along several vets having a career year). He never took the next step. Then he had a monster year last year. Players have outlier years all the time.

I then said Avs fans themselves are saying he looks "off". Is that rust? Or is that him regressing to a more sustainable playstyle for him? We don't know at this point due to the small sample size of a few early season games, and my post was saying that the start of the season, using points to measure players is not a very accurate or reliable gauge.

[Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
how about you name someone that suddenly after 300+ games played in the NHL almost doubles their previous years point total without a significant increase in icetime and then actually maintains it?

fluky one off years happen all the time,Jiri Hudler and Nick Foligno are two names that pop immediately to mind with seasons where they had a similar level of overperformance relative to their careers

so you cant name one. thats why you lose. i can name a ton of players breaking out at age 22.

niether players were 22, not comparable. age is the single most important factor.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
It's been two games. Yes he had a good year last year, no one debated that. Avs fans themselves said that he looks off, points come easily the first month of the season. Come back to me in March if he is still putting up insane numbers and I will admit he is legit.

thats fair. we will see in march

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I never said that you are putting words in my mouth. It is not at all a lie to say prior to last year, MacKinnon was seen as a disappointment given his pre-draft hype, and his rookie season (In which he played wing along several vets having a career year). He never took the next step. Then he had a monster year last year. Players have outlier years all the time.

I then said Avs fans themselves are saying he looks "off". Is that rust? Or is that him regressing to a more sustainable playstyle for him? We don't know at this point due to the small sample size of a few early season games, and my post was saying that the start of the season, using points to measure players is not a very accurate or reliable gauge.

Your response seems reasonable to me. I don't have an issue with that view, I may have read too much into your original post.

I would say that if that is the view on MacKinnon, I would find it more reasonable to apply that view toward number of younger players at the moment, simply for the sake of consistency.

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
He won the Calder. He scored 10 points in his first 7 playoff games that year. Anyone who saw him on the Young Guns team in the World Cup saw how dynamic he is.
So he had a couple of seasons where he didn't put up stellar numbers. And that somehow makes him a fluke?
I hope the players and coaches on other teams think like that.

Reactions: Pure

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
The thing people consistently ignore about MacKinnon is that his shooting percentage always was historically low, and how it regressed to a more acceptable mean last year. That's really important. That says a few things:

• He always took boatloads of shots at the net, which is why advanced stats people have always expected him to break out. He's always been a terrific possession player on some truly terrible possession teams.
  • Last year he was still taking loads of shots at the net, but due to play style adjustments, linemate changes, and better support on the backend, suddenly those shots were going in for him. This is not completely unprecedented. It makes sense if you look at the data and the context surrounding the data.
  • He usually starts out slow in October; last year it took him 8 games to get going. He was still taking a tremendous amount of shots. He's doing the same thing right now, they're just going in at the rate they should be.
Unless Nate drastically changes the way he plays and especially the amount of shots he generates, which has always remained consistent throughout his career, he's going to be dominant.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The thing people consistently ignore about MacKinnon is that his shooting percentage always was historically low, and how it regressed to a more acceptable mean last year. That's really important. That says a few things:

• He always took boatloads of shots at the net, which is why advanced stats people have always expected him to break out. He's always been a terrific possession player on some truly terrible possession teams.
  • Last year he was still taking loads of shots at the net, but due to play style adjustments, linemate changes, and better support on the backend, suddenly those shots were going in for him. This is not completely unprecedented. It makes sense if you look at the data and the context surrounding the data.
  • He usually starts out slow in October; last year it took him 8 games to get going. He was still taking a tremendous amount of shots. He's doing the same thing right now, they're just going in at the rate they should be.
Unless Nate drastically changes the way he plays and especially the amount of shots he generates, which has always remained consistent throughout his career, he's going to be dominant.

good post.

Reactions: hooverdam

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It’s the truth :dunno: I mean he hasn’t looked bad, but he looks a little rusty still.

To be clear, Mack doesn’t look like a 60 point player this year. He just doesn’t look like a Hart/Art Ross candidate so far. If he plays the next 80 as he has the first two, it’ll just be a ho hum 75+ point season.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Mackinnon will pick it up. What we're seeing now is a minimum. But he'll have some stretches of 7GP, 10+ pts or 3GP 6+ pts and chosen NHL 1st star. This is a guarantee. Whether it adds up to 97 points again is unknown.

Reactions: olli

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
how about you name someone that suddenly after 300+ games played in the NHL almost doubles their previous years point total without a significant increase in icetime and then actually maintains it?

fluky one off years happen all the time,Jiri Hudler and Nick Foligno are two names that pop immediately to mind with seasons where they had a similar level of overperformance relative to their careers
Nathan MacKinnon

Reactions: Balthazar

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Let me know when Eichel puts up 100 in 76.

Ps try putting periods at the end of all your sentences. That would be a good start.

I’ll be sure to do that. :)

Rantanen has been a revelation and landeskog ain’t a slouch, now that he has sheary and Reinhart which is a bit less but still something I like his chances a lot more. PRETTY sure u didn’t say he was better then nackinnon either, come on Olli you know me better, you didn’t read me saying that I was just wondering why mackinnon had so many mediocre season, didn’t think that was a crime.

I’m calling him elite and better then eiche (right now) l so I don’t get the backlash but whatever

Is Jack Eichel on my Tim Hortons coffee cup? No. Nathan MacKinnon is.

Don’t think USA jack would be on the Zamboni in a Canadian commercials featuring Canadian players for a Canadian coffee chain.

Lol

Hockey cards. Finger point.

Last edited:
Reactions: olli

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I swear to god, I read the username, the first two lines, and I said to myself “I would bet one thousand dollars that “Eichel” appears somewhere in this post.”

Your hate on for eichel is far more clear then anything I’ve ever said.

I bring him up in two instances whenever evander Kane and his production is brought up (not every time but when I have something to say) and in mackinnons case, he’s been average so far I don’t get why this thread was made I mean even if he had a monster first few games it’d be premature but way, just because you see both things isn’t my problem. And you can sweat to god and put me on ignore.

You literally never watch eichel and had the nerve to say “just because you think eichel carried Kane” as if it was some THOUGHT. LOL!

You can’t take the fact eichel did carry gun and you know the numbers. That isn’t coincidence. And I actually watched all the games. You can talk about his 15 goals in bowever many as a shark clearly you didn’t read me say he had 16 and 36 pts in 39 with him and 3 3 for 6 pts in 21 without. The Sportsnet app is easy just watch every Jane goal from last year and look who created the entire play if not did all the work.

I’ll give credit to Kane he’s a pretty good player when he’s on and has a good shot but he is absolutely not a top line winger if you want to do anything of note. Your team is so good all around that your one of the few teams that may be able to get away with it but he always had a falling off point. So what if one of his goals happened to be center by suomela (I couldn’t reply last time as thread got closed) this is a player who thrives off plays created your way more talented centers.

Lol at you liking the sabres fan who called eichel a sleepy player (123 in 130) he was being sarcastic.

Just ignore me please, you following me around quoting me every time I bring up eichel a name which of the threads not on him are literally in just these two instances unless it has to do with something like top young centres.

cool

how many did he have in the 76 games before that?

or the 300 games before that for that matter

See this guy knows what’s up.

I say guys like Matthews eichel and mcdavid start their careers with elite totals in there first 200 gamesish but mackinnon just fell asleep for four years and gets a free pass.

Jack Eichel is insanely good. Probably best center in the league.

More consistent then mackinnon with less help at a younger age too.

I love how people act like in the last page “just because he didn’t put up stellar numbers” stellar?

5 seasons and he goes above 0.80, ONCE.

I even went as far as saying eichel wasn’t better but that’s just because I’m waiting for him to light the league in fire first. Those of you who don’t see his brilliance won’t understand it, there’s only a handful of players he’s not producing a better point per game then in the last couple years. On buffalo and considering his injuries, that’s downeight incredible. Especially since most of his pts come even strength and primary.

He’s so under appreciated league wide it’s hilarious. No one had a reason to watch buffalo and he’s been gone in 2/3 of his seasons a quarter of the year so that prevents him from finishing in top scoring races or and what hit abalysts who bash him at times even openly admit to not watching him. Once He stays healthy only him Matthews and mcdavid are locks for the top five centres for the next decade maybe Hughes and others like barkov will join them one day.

They’ve all posted strong numbers on dumpster fire teams unlike the number three best player!

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Your hate on for eichel is far more clear then anything I’ve ever said.

I bring him up in two instances whenever evander Kane and his production is brought up (not every time but when I have something to say) and in mackinnons case, he’s been average so far I don’t get why this thread was made I mean even if he had a monster first few games it’d be premature but way, just because you see both things isn’t my problem. And you can sweat to god and put me on ignore.

You literally never watch eichel and had the nerve to say “just because you think eichel carried Kane” as if it was some THOUGHT. LOL!

You can’t take the fact eichel did carry gun and you know the numbers. That isn’t coincidence. And I actually watched all the games. You can talk about his 15 goals in bowever many as a shark clearly you didn’t read me say he had 16 and 36 pts in 39 with him and 3 3 for 6 pts in 21 without. The Sportsnet app is easy just watch every Jane goal from last year and look who created the entire play if not did all the work.

I’ll give credit to Kane he’s a pretty good player when he’s on and has a good shot but he is absolutely not a top line winger if you want to do anything of note. Your team is so good all around that your one of the few teams that may be able to get away with it but he always had a falling off point. So what if one of his goals happened to be center by suomela (I couldn’t reply last time as thread got closed) this is a player who thrives off plays created your way more talented centers.

Lol at you liking the sabres fan who called eichel a sleepy player (123 in 130) he was being sarcastic.

Just ignore me please, you following me around quoting me every time I bring up eichel a name which of the threads not on him are literally in just these two instances unless it has to do with something like top young centres.

See this guy knows what’s up.

I say guys like Matthews eichel and mcdavid start their careers with elite totals in there first 200 gamesish but mackinnon just fell asleep for four years and gets a free pass.

I don’t hate Eichel at all, and I didn’t say anything derogatory about him here. I’m just pointing out that it’s very annoying that you jump into a thread about MacKinnon with the obvious agenda of saying that he is comparable to Eichel. And that somebody who knows your posting tendencies can recognize after 2 lines that your post is going to involve Jack Eichel in some way.

You are obsessed with Jack Eichel and it’s fine and dandy to have favorite players that you love; we all do. But it is very annoying when you bust into every thread that has nothing to do with Eichel with the sole purpose of trying to convince people that they should rank him marginally higher than they do.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
[mod] I asked where was he the first few years? It’s an honest question, he’s being put in elite company and if those others didn’t perform and decided to throw out or totals of 52 and 53 it’s in full 82 game seasons and then 38 in 68, had, had a good 63 or rookie year as I pointed out before.

They’d be ridiculed for numbers like that.

And I’m not the only one in here saying it.

Plus I’ve given mackinnon a ton of credit. Didn’t even say a player on my team was better. How on earth isn’t that trolling? I’ve been on these forums for 15 years. And I think you need to look that term up. Speaking of which what kind of substance are you adding to this tread besides being incorrect about something unrelated?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I don’t hate Eichel at all, and I didn’t say anything derogatory about him here. I’m just pointing out that it’s very annoying that you jump into a thread about MacKinnon with the obvious agenda of saying that he is comparable to Eichel. And that somebody who knows your posting tendencies can recognize after 2 lines that your post is going to involve Jack Eichel in some way.

You are obsessed with Jack Eichel and it’s fine and dandy to have favorite players that you love; we all do. But it is very annoying when you bust into every thread that has nothing to do with Eichel with the sole purpose of trying to convince people that they should rank him marginally higher than they do.

I clearly distinguished the two occurrences I bring up eichel if it’s not a thread on him therefore your “it’s annoying you bringing him up every thread” holds no merit. Especially when you say my purpose is to get people to hold him in higher regard. Again wrong, I was asking a question about mackinnon and referencing jack (as there wAs a comparison I was making) nothing I said wasn’t true. And no where did I say like him people like him I just pointed out how average mackinnon was for a few seasons and wanted to know why such an elite player could do that for so long? I never even said eichel was better. People really blow this up. My god.

So if you have a different understanding of what’s actually going on I’m sorry for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad