Confirmed with Link: Nathan Beaulieu for a 7th Rd pick

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Fun fact: I sat beside his dad on a trip to Mexico in 2005. His dad was an assistant coach for the London Knights and the whole team was treated to a trip to Cancun by the Hunter brothers after they won the 2005 Memorial Cup (beating a certain kid name Sid's Rimouski squad).

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Good news: He was free.

Bad news: Would you want to play the worse defenseman in the NHL over what we have in the minors for call up?

I am torn and part of me wishes that the temptation to choose this empty sweater over our alternatives in the minors was not available.

Reactions: Andy99

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Good news: He was free.

Bad news: Would you want to play the worse defenseman in the NHL over what we have in the minors for call up?

I am torn and part of me wishes that the temptation to choose this empty sweater over our alternatives in the minors was not available.

Not that I'm defending Beaulieu specifically, but him being the "worst defenseman in the NHL" according to that analytics model is a lot different than him actually being that bad. Those analytics models probably think the Penguins got robbed by giving up two analytics darlings in Simon and ZAR for Rakell.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
This guy basically a big caveman kinda blueliner who isn't very good but hits?

Yeah, Sully is gonna LOVE him. Like all coach's love a dude who loses a game for you when they try to lay a big "F-you and your jaw" hit and ignore the puck. Sully don't care about winning, just revenge on the Tom Wilson's of the NHL. Makes total sense when you think about it that way.

This is how someone from Philly thinks. Its moronic. Someone from Philly runs our team, not our coach. I think it's only a matter of time until 1 of them is out because they obviously aren't on the same page.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, Sully is gonna LOVE him. Like all coach's love a dude who loses a game for you when they try to lay a big "F-you and your jaw" hit and ignore the puck. Sully don't care about winning, just revenge on the Tom Wilson's of the NHL. Makes total sense when you think about it that way.

This is how someone from Philly thinks. Its moronic. Someone from Philly runs our team, not our coach. I think it's only a matter of time until 1 of them is out because they obviously aren't on the same page.
I imagine he won't play if he's that bad. It's not like trying to justify a 5-year deal for Jack Johnson. We traded a 7th rounder for him.

A 6/7 d-man isn't gonna sink this team. GCR failing to show up again for the 4th year in a row, or Jarry playing like shit--that's gonna sink this team. /shrug

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
This guy basically a big caveman kinda blueliner who isn't very good but hits?
When drafted the name of his game was mobility and offense, stats tended to support that but then I remember the WJCs and him being Canada’s go-to PPQB and being just horrible at it. Bad enough that 10 years later and I still remember.

He definitely transitioned to being more stay-at-home, physical guy and looked alright earlier in his NHL career but kinda declined a bit. Maybe injuries, bad teams or just no longer having the luster of being a young prospect. Just a depth guy now but a good teammate, will fight, block shots, throw hits, etc.

I’d call him a solid #7.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It’s weird how Beaulieu is being viewed around here. Yeah he’s a big strong guy. But he was known for his offensive skills.

He was drafted for his offensive upside, but his NHL career has seen him be more of a physical guy who stuck to the defensive end (not that he's particularly good defensively either).

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
When drafted the name of his game was mobility and offense, stats tended to support that but then I remember the WJCs and him being Canada’s go-to PPQB and being just horrible at it. Bad enough that 10 years later and I still remember.

He definitely transitioned to being more stay-at-home, physical guy and looked alright earlier in his NHL career but kinda declined a bit. Maybe injuries, bad teams or just no longer having the luster of being a young prospect. Just a depth guy now but a good teammate, will fight, block shots, throw hits, etc.

I’d call him a solid #7.

Yeah, I mean, he is not good...
The tools are there to a certain extent..... and he has great hair. Just not so much is happening underneath it.

But for us... he is an insurance #8 (or even #9 D) that cost us nothing but a few $. All good. You never know what you need if you go far in the playoffs.

Reactions: Jacob

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

How has truck'n sissy worked out for the Pens the past 3 seasons? This guy has moxy and nice right hand.

Last edited:

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
It's amazing how much people complain about a depth defenseman.

Especially one that brings elements to the team that those same people want. "We need a physical defenseman that'll fight and add some nastiness" Hextall trades for one. "No, not that guy, he sucks."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad