Confirmed with Link: Nate Thompson re-signs (one-year, one-way contract)

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I mean, he's on a contract that can be fully buried and his role here was primarily defensive, at which he was effective (as shown above).

The money and term is fine, but if you are already talking about burying him then why sign him in the first place?

It's also April 25th, they couldn't have waited a little bit into the offseason to make this move?

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Glad he got this strategic, essential deal done so soon. We got ourselves a real gem here guys and I know for a fact that he was #1 on most teams’ free agent list. Personally, I don’t want to picture a future without faceoff expert Nate Thompson on this team. Some will tell you he’s a waste of a roster spot but they’re just haters. Real fans recognize real players.

Merci Marc.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
The money and term is fine, but if you are already talking about burying him then why sign him in the first place?

It's also April 25th, they couldn't have waited a little bit into the offseason to make this move?

You need some 13-14th forward I prefer a guy that is a fit with the organization then a other bottom player

Reactions: Habs Icing

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I liked Thompson. Not that big of a deal. I'm always struck though by the fact that Bergevin tells us that if we can improve, we will do it...yet, we sign fillers in April. Let just hope that it doesn't mean that we stop looking for improvement because he is just satisfied with those guys.

If not, fine signing. If they don't have a problem burying a contract, fine with me. Thompson was doing a very good job and yes indeed, forming a much better 4th liner than we had for a long time.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Aside from an 80 year old Matt Cullen, Eric Fehr and Marcus Kruger there aren't many cheap options for UFA centres for the 4th line. Rather MB get cheap depth moves like Folin and Thompson out of the way now as opposed to on July 1st.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
You need some 13-14th forward I prefer a guy that is a fit with the organization then a other bottom player

Yes, teams need depth players. I would have preferred to wait until the offseason to see who is available. But it's a Bergevin staple to sign these type of players early.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Everyone remembers but Chaput isn't even with the organization anymore, so what's your point?

The clear difference Thompson made versus him. That people are making him out to be a nothing player when in reality Chaput was a nothing player. You can’t just plug that 4C hole with anyone.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Because injuries happen? players get lost to waivers? Montreal might want to use some of their depth to go big-fish hunting?

And I'm not sure going after centers on the UFA market later in the offseason works out much. Teams always want extra centers. Thompson liked playing in Montreal and was willing to re-up now. I wouldn't be shocked if he got more had he waited until July.

I'm not saying its a good move, but in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't impede Montreal from doing anything they might want to do.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Nice contract. The Canadiens aren't afraid to send down players if they can play anymore (see. Alzner, Karl).

Joel Bouchard said himself that nobody is ready in Laval, right now.

My guess is Benn and Weal want multiple years and we need to keep some space for young players for the next years...

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Would having Poehling in the AHL be a bad thing? I'm not a fan of Julien and I'd much rather have Bouchard handle our prospects.

I’d be fine with that.

If Poehling is up with the big club, play him regularly. Let him make mistakes. Take the long view.

No in and out of the press box, 9 minutes, wing to centre to wing, 2 weeks conditioning in Laval.

No half measures.

There is nothing wrong with this signing. Usage by Julien is a possible concern.

Reactions: Walrus26

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The money and term is fine for Thompson, but I just don't know if they needed to bring him back. We'll see how it plays out.

I sure as hell hope that's not the opening day roster. I'm just so tired of treading water.

Yes I really hope we sign some good UFAs (we have room for 1 to 4 of them). And, we'll see where Suzuki is at.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
He was pretty bad last year. Marginally effective defensively but a complete black hole offensively which isn't really acceptable - especially given Thompson was actually playing 3C minutes and situations last season even if he was nominally the "4C" on the lineup chart.

5sZpce6.png

If you watched the games you wouldnt have to rely on this atuff

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
This move can be labeled as stupid, not needed, or something along the lines that this is a solid 4th line veteran addition that can only add value.

Nate Thompson loves playing in Montreal, excellent on face offs and penalty kill.

I see this as a positive signing.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Yes I really hope we sign some good UFAs (we have room for 1 to 4 of them). And, we'll see where Suzuki is at.

Re-signing a 4th line center to a 1M contract just increases the amount we have available to sign a top UFA. You know what would be a really stupid move? Giving 2M to Jordan Weal based on a 20 games hot streak.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I prefer Weal as the 4th line centre, but I don't really mind this signing either. Would rather Thompson in the lineup than being forced to play guys like we did this year (Chaput and such).
Weal made 1.75 mil last season...would you give him this amount or more?

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Awesome signing, this player brought a lot end of the year and i would love to have him there on the team.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He was pretty good as a 4th liner. Hopefully he'll remain on 4th line and not take KKs spot (typical of Montreal development)

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Inexpensive solid move, you never know with injuries what can happen. Traded during the year is hard I think he will be decent with a training camp under his belt and time to gel with his linemates. Nothing ever wrong with depth players.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
This.

Wouldn't even be surprised if Julien played him in front of either Kotkaniemi/Poehling, wouldn't even be surprised if one or both were sent to the AHL because of that.

Call me crazy but if we have Domi and Danault as centers with Kotkaniemi/Poehling as the next center I hope the last guy isn't on the 4th line. If Poehling is 4th line C I'd rather him as 1st line C in AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad