Proposal: Nate Schmidt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camille the Eel

We have actually deployed him as a shutdown defender even though in his career he's been always used as an OFD looking at underlying stats. With that said, his offensive stats have only taken a 3-5% dip even though he went from a 50% offensive zone start, to 31%. His offensive metrics are all around 48-50% still. Personally I'd be looking for a potential top 4 RHD or a late 1st in terms of value. He's been decent for us and its not like we need to move him. Just my personal preference as he's one of the only players we have with with positive value over the age of 26. We also have way too many LHD and could use the cap space. I know you guys have Smith and Butcher on the left side so it may be too pricey, but he does play the right side. Probably has played the right side more than the left in his career, so if you dont have an abundance of LHD, you could swap him back and forth on either side depending on injuries/depth. Canucks have 5-6 LHD so it'd be nice to recoup some assets, free up cap space, and sign a cheap RHD like Hamonic or Schenn to play with Hughes and just live with Myers in our top 4 given our cap issues. That way we have 4-5 LHD (Hughes/Tryamkin/Juolevi/Rathbone and Edler if brought back) and Rathbone can just over marinate in the AHL while we give Tryamkin a chance at the NHL.

Right where else are you going to get a top 4 D signed to a market value contract (pre-covid) maybe overpaid by 500k-1M max in a covid market (brodie got 5M, Krug got 6.5M) for a 4th? just because Columbus gave one that spends more time on IR than playing to you guys for a 5th doesn't mean others come that cheap too. Would you trade Severson for a 4th?
I’d vote for giving the Isles 1st for Schmidt in an instant, despite the salary. He’s a formidable guy who carried Vegas deep in the playoffs a couple of times and Washington before I think. We have plenty of cap space. Schmidt is the kind of D guy you can’t generally even get near by way of trade or free agency. But doesn’t he probably have a no move clause?

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
With a big contract as well, i don’t want him with that contract at all even for free. If they retained 50% I’d talk about giving them a 3rd or maybe even 2nd at most. I haven’t followed him at all lately and don’t really know how he’s been doing.
Fair enough. This being hfboards, I understand theres some posters that value cap space and draft picks over proven NHL talent and think any prime aged talent signed until 32+ above a 3M cap hit is instantly negative value unless they are top 30 in their position. As to your offer of 50% retained on Schmidt for a 3rd, I'm sure every other team in the NHL would outbid that.

You're a little off on the protection, Severson will be protected along with Siegenthaler. One of Butcher or PK will be left exposed, probably Butcher. PK has played well enough and NJ doesn't have a lot of options on the right side.

LD is probably one spot where we don't need very much. Obviously there are Smith and Siegenthaler, then Kevin Bahl has played in his first two NHL games and looks like he can play at this level. In the AHL we have Okhotiuk who is probably ready next year. Longer term Vukojovic has looked quite good in the AHL, we just spent a 1st round pick on Mukhamadullin, Misyul is progressing in Russia, and there's a decent chance we walk away from the 2021 entry draft with another 1st round LD.

I'm guessing if Butcher is seletcted, Fitz will go out and look for a cheap 1 year deal for a LD in case one of the kids stumbles, but I don't really see that happening.

RD is a little more of a problem, short term we've got Severson and PK, but no good third pair option, then long term we've only got Walsh and Case McCarthy in the system. We're hoping for Brandt Clarke in the draft (some of us, anyway) but either way I think Fitz will add a RD for next season.

I don't think the club is in position to trade 1st round picks for 30 year old players, and would probably prefer guys that are signed for 1-2 years over guys that have 4 years remaining.
Ahh wasn't sure how Devils fans viewed Butcher nowadays. Also didn't realize NJ also had such an abundance of LHD in the system too. Schmidt definitely wouldn't be a fit here unless your coach is okay with having LHD on the right side. Ours doesn't but since Schmidt is more proven there and we have no other options, he plays the right side. Also thought NJ may be looking to compete sooner, not in a couple years. Thanks for your input!

As an FYI. Fitz has been clear that he is not willing to acquire a 30 something with longer deal that could turn bad when the Devils are hopefully contending in a couple of years. He was discussing wings last offseason but I would think the same would apply to an older D. Would Schmidt make the Devils better next year - yes. Would I have any interest in acquiring him - no. He should go to a team that is looking to contend in 21-22 IMO.
Didn't know the GM had stated such. I also thought the Devils were looking to start competing in 2 years tops. Knowing they are further away than that, I agree, Schmidt doesn't fit the Devils plans.

Of course the problem is that none of those teams have cap space, which is exactly the reason you saw guys like Schmidt and Murray going for mid round picks last offseason.

In a league with a rising cap and more teams having some space, Schmidt probably gets a healthy return.
Exactly this. Or where a team (in this case the Canucks) aren't looking to dump him because they need cap space like Vegas did in order to sign a better player. We have other options without having to sell Schmidt to make room for Petey and Hughes's extensions. As a fan, I don't see this team competing for at least 2 years just like our idiot GM has said. So Schmidt will be 31-32 by then. It would make more sense to sell him and gain assets to try and create a longer window when our time comes given he's one of our few assets worth anything.

Your ask is too high a first is too much for a guy you got for a third....He's a good character player good fit there but that contract and his age doesn't fit our timeline imo
Previous acquisition cost has no barring on current player value. Especially if you add the context as to why he was available for only a 3rd. Vegas would have never sold him that cheaply if Pietrangelo hadn't agreed on a deal. See my reference to Gustav Forsling. He was picked up on waivers by Florida 4 months ago in January. See if they would give him up for even a 3rd today.

Schmidt is overpaid, aging and frankly not good enough to warrant any sort of return when a cap strapped team is trying to ship him out. If you think he is returning anything of value your either delusional or overly optimistic that some team gets absolutely fleeced.
How is Schmidt overpaid? He's making 6M for arguments sake. He's being deployed as a shutdown d-man compared to the offensive dman he was deployed as in his previous years with Vegas. He has 19% less offensive zone starts at 5 on 5, yet his offenisve metrics have only taken a 3-5% hit. his SV% has actually gone up. he's on pace to put up close to his career avg in points too. He's a 29 point dman over 82 games in his career prior to coming to Vancouver. He's on pace for 24 points in 82 games this year. I'll concede that with the eye test, he hasn't looked like a top 2 d-man like he did for Vegas the last year, but he has still been a solid top 4 dman. If he's overpaid its by max 1M. The Canucks are also not trying to ship him out as you are saying. I'm probably 1 of few, who are looking to move him. That has nothing to do with his play or cap hit, moreso his handedness and age and the fact hes probably the only player besides Miller that we have over the age of 25 thats worth anything. Only reason I'm not making Miller proposals is because we already lack offense and that in 2 years time, he still fits our window as he will be 30. with a few years left to give.

Last edited:

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Fair enough. This being hfboards, I understand theres some posters that value cap space and draft picks over proven NHL talent and think any prime aged talent signed until 32+ above a 3M cap hit is instantly negative value unless they are top 30 in their position. As to your offer of 50% retained on Schmidt for a 3rd, I'm sure every other team in the NHL would outbid that.

Ahh wasn't sure how Devils fans viewed Butcher nowadays. Also didn't realize NJ also had such an abundance of LHD in the system too. Schmidt definitely wouldn't be a fit here unless your coach is okay with having LHD on the right side. Ours doesn't but since Schmidt is more proven there and we have no other options, he plays the right side. Also thought NJ may be looking to compete sooner, not in a couple years. Thanks for your input!

Didn't know the GM had stated such. I also thought the Devils were looking to start competing in 2 years tops. Knowing they are further away than that, I agree, Schmidt doesn't fit the Devils plans.

Exactly this. Or where a team (in this case the Canucks) aren't looking to dump him because they need cap space like Vegas did in order to sign a better player. We have other options without having to sell Schmidt to make room for Petey and Hughes's extensions. As a fan, I don't see this team competing for at least 2 years just like our idiot GM has said. So Schmidt will be 31-32 by then. It would make more sense to sell him and gain assets to try and create a longer window when our time comes given he's one of our few assets worth anything.

Previous acquisition cost has no barring on current player value. Especially if you add the context as to why he was available for only a 3rd. Vegas would have never sold him that cheaply if Pietrangelo hadn't agreed on a deal. See my reference to Gustav Forsling. He was picked up on waivers by Florida in January. See if they would give him up for even a 3rd today 4 months later.

How is Schmidt overpaid? He's making 6M for arguments sake. He's being deployed as a shutdown d-man compared to the offensive dman he was deployed as in his previous years with Vegas. He has 19% less offensive zone starts at 5 on 5, yet his offenisve metrics have only taken a 3-5% hit. his SV% has actually gone up. he's on pace to put up close to his career avg in points too. He's a 29 point dman over 82 games in his career prior to coming to Vancouver. He's on pace for 24 points in 82 games this year. I'll concede that with the eye test, he hasn't looked like a top 2 d-man like he did for Vegas the last year, but he has still been a solid top 4 dman. If he's overpaid its by max 1M. The Canucks are also not trying to ship him out as you are saying. I'm probably 1 of few, who are looking to move him. That has nothing to do with his play or cap hit, moreso his handedness and age and the fact hes probably the only player besides Miller that we have over the age of 25 thats worth anything. Only reason I'm not making Miller proposals is because we already lack offense and that in 2 years time, he still fits our window as he will be 30. with a few years left to give.
Agreed about previous acquisition cost but no one is going high when taking on money and term in this NHL now....To rid yourself of that contract and term you won't get a first for him imo....Good team guy just doesn't match the Devils timeline

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Is Benning even looking to trade Schmidt? Is he really the type to guy to just have Hughes and kids lock down that side? (I feel like he wouldn’t but I’m not sure about that, particularly since the cap space is getting so tight.)

Did Schmidt maintain his 10 team no trade list? (The Devils might be on it as one of the few teams with cap space.)

And as others have said we actually numerous LD prospects so as well Smith so we might just go with stop gap solutions like Murray rather than spend assets for four years of Schmidt.
Benning isn't looking to move Schmidt. I however, would. We are a minimum 2 more seasons away before we are ready to be contenders. Even Benning has admitted as much. Schmidt will be 32 by then and even though depth wise we are weak everywhere, LHD is probably our strongest at this point. Schmidt does play the right side, I was additionally looking to move him with the hopes of Tryamkin coming in and being a bottom pairing LHD on the right side and moving Myers into Schmidt's role in the top 4. That way we have room to sign a stop gap RHD to play with Hughes and still have at least 2 RHD. With Tryamkin now not coming back, moving Schmidt is only due to his age given our timeframe. I can see why it makes sense for NJ to go for stopgaps until they are ready to compete.

I’d vote for giving the Isles 1st for Schmidt in an instant, despite the salary. He’s a formidable guy who carried Vegas deep in the playoffs a couple of times and Washington before I think. We have plenty of cap space. Schmidt is the kind of D guy you can’t generally even get near by way of trade or free agency. But doesn’t he probably have a no move clause?
Not sure if he still does, but this is make belief anyways. We could pretend he'd waive for NJ even if he has that clause still active. After-all anything that is posted hear as couch GM stuff isn't going to make a difference IRL.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ

Previous acquisition cost has no barring on current player value. Especially if you add the context as to why he was available for only a 3rd. Vegas would have never sold him that cheaply if Pietrangelo hadn't agreed on a deal. See my reference to Gustav Forsling. He was picked up on waivers by Florida 4 months ago in January. See if they would give him up for even a 3rd today.

Because he does not bring enough to the Devils to warrant a 6m cap hit for the 4 seasons when our left side is going to absolutely filled with youth. Could he be better then Murray or some of the young prospects we expect to graduate? Sure but not at the cap cost or the trade cost. He doesn't fit our window for either the price of contract or trade package required to get him. So as I said he would be an overpayment for the Devils.

I will add I don't expect you too know our prospect pool but if you come in here expecting to ship off a LD for to a team you might as well take a look at what they have. We have Smith and Siegenthaler in our top 6 on the left side right now. We have Bahl, Vukojevic and Okhotiuk a year or two away. Bahl made his debut two nights ago and looks good. We also have one of our top 3 prospects in Mukhamadullin on the left side.

Sorry if I came off as passive aggressive but your trade makes next to 0 sense for the Devils.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Sorry my dude but this entire thread is way off base. We have the expansion draft figured out, we have no interest in solving your cap issues for you, and we're not going to pay a 1st for a guy we that fetched a 3rd when he was a younger and better than he is now.

Reactions: HBK27

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
We have actually deployed him as a shutdown defender even though in his career he's been always used as an OFD looking at underlying stats. With that said, his offensive stats have only taken a 3-5% dip even though he went from a 50% offensive zone start, to 31%. His offensive metrics are all around 48-50% still. Personally I'd be looking for a potential top 4 RHD or a late 1st in terms of value. He's been decent for us and its not like we need to move him. Just my personal preference as he's one of the only players we have with with positive value over the age of 26. We also have way too many LHD and could use the cap space. I know you guys have Smith and Butcher on the left side so it may be too pricey, but he does play the right side. Probably has played the right side more than the left in his career, so if you dont have an abundance of LHD, you could swap him back and forth on either side depending on injuries/depth. Canucks have 5-6 LHD so it'd be nice to recoup some assets, free up cap space, and sign a cheap RHD like Hamonic or Schenn to play with Hughes and just live with Myers in our top 4 given our cap issues. That way we have 4-5 LHD (Hughes/Tryamkin/Juolevi/Rathbone and Edler if brought back) and Rathbone can just over marinate in the AHL while we give Tryamkin a chance at the NHL.

Right where else are you going to get a top 4 D signed to a market value contract (pre-covid) maybe overpaid by 500k-1M max in a covid market (brodie got 5M, Krug got 6.5M) for a 4th? just because Columbus gave one that spends more time on IR than playing to you guys for a 5th doesn't mean others come that cheap too. Would you trade Severson for a 4th?
Zero interest in trading a late first for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad