Nassau Coliseum Visitor FAQ

HawkeyeKnight*

OK, here's my question...

Post game... heading back to NYC.

Do the trains run late?

Are there cabs at the arena?

I was thinking about renting a car, but if I can avoid it, it would be far more pleasurable.

I know getting there will be easy, but I am concerned with what the hell I do when the game is over :)

Thanks in advance.

Purple Tentacle

Oct 24, 2007
NYC
OK, here's my question...

Post game... heading back to NYC.

Do the trains run late?

Are there cabs at the arena?

I was thinking about renting a car, but if I can avoid it, it would be far more pleasurable.

I know getting there will be easy, but I am concerned with what the hell I do when the game is over :)

Thanks in advance.

The Hempstead line runs approximately every hour (there's one hour it skips which I believe is 3 am). I don't know if there are cabs in front of the Coliseum anywhere but I have always walked over to where the bus stop is and if I decide it's too long before a bus will arrive (the schedule doesn't correspond to the game unfortunately), there are a million taxis that go by on the street and I just flag one down. It was about $6 to the station.

I really don't think it's worth it to rent a car unless you want to save time but it seems like even more of a hassle.

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
My plans are now final and I'm going to be staying in Jersey City. Now I'm just wondering whether to drive to the Coliseum or take public tranportation. How hard is it to get from NY Penn Station to the Coliseum?

I From what I've read, you'd take the Long Island RR (then a bus), but does anyone know if they accept the MetroCards (including the buses) or is that just for the NYtransit? Does the train go right from Penn to Hempstead or do I have to transfer somewhere?

It doesn't sound all that difficult, but I've had a couple suggestions from people saying to drive it'd be much easier.

Any recommendations?

Purple Tentacle

Oct 24, 2007
NYC
My plans are now final and I'm going to be staying in Jersey City. Now I'm just wondering whether to drive to the Coliseum or take public tranportation. How hard is it to get from NY Penn Station to the Coliseum?

I From what I've read, you'd take the Long Island RR (then a bus), but does anyone know if they accept the MetroCards (including the buses) or is that just for the NYtransit? Does the train go right from Penn to Hempstead or do I have to transfer somewhere?

It doesn't sound all that difficult, but I've had a couple suggestions from people saying to drive it'd be much easier.

Any recommendations?

You will almost always have to switch at Jamaica to get to Hempstead as well as the other way. Or you can just take the E train to the second to last stop (which is Jamaica station) which makes the LIRR trip cheaper.

The buses take your Metro card the LIRR does not...I believe off-peak was under $4 (from Jamaica).

It's not all that difficult to go by public transportation it's just time consuming because the schedules do not correspond that well. I don't know what it's like to drive there though so maybe someone else can help you on that.

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Not sure, but I'll probably just end up driving. I just didn't want to hit rush hour traffic, so I may just leave mid afternoon and get there early. Is there anywhere to eat around the coliseum? I think I read there was a hotel right there, is there a restaurant in there?

EDIT>> Just read through the thread and saw there was a place in the hotel. Do they have good food or is it more just a bar? Good place to eat dinner?

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
Not sure, but I'll probably just end up driving. I just didn't want to hit rush hour traffic, so I may just leave mid afternoon and get there early. Is there anywhere to eat around the coliseum? I think I read there was a hotel right there, is there a restaurant in there?

EDIT>> Just read through the thread and saw there was a place in the hotel. Do they have good food or is it more just a bar? Good place to eat dinner?

Dunno about the place in the hotel, but for my money, the best place near the Coliseum is Vincent's. It's just a couple exits north of the Coliseum on the Meadowbrook, across the street from Roosevelt Field - see this map.

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. When I saw it said clam bar I wasn't going to look at it because I don't like seafood, but then I looked at the menu and alot of good sounding food there. I'm Italian and of course love Italian food so I'm going to have to stop here. Thanks again!!

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
Thanks for the suggestion. When I saw it said clam bar I wasn't going to look at it because I don't like seafood, but then I looked at the menu and alot of good sounding food there. I'm Italian and of course love Italian food so I'm going to have to stop here. Thanks again!!

Well to put it in perspective, I completely hate seafood and Vincent's is still pretty much my favorite restaurant ever. I think they lace their sauce with crack. Speaking of that, stay away from the hot sauce unless you enjoy eating napalm :banghead:

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Dunno about the place in the hotel, but for my money, the best place near the Coliseum is Vincent's. It's just a couple exits north of the Coliseum on the Meadowbrook, across the street from Roosevelt Field - see this map.

I'm going to have to try that out next time I go to a game.... Lately when I go I've been bringing everyone to PF Chang's over in the source mall. That place is pretty sweet.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Well to put it in perspective, I completely hate seafood and Vincent's is still pretty much my favorite restaurant ever. I think they lace their sauce with crack. Speaking of that, stay away from the hot sauce unless you enjoy eating napalm :banghead:

oh nyisles by the way i went there last night and that place rocked. I'm definitely going to have to go there again.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Tourist Thread

So if I wanted to go to New York and Long Island for a weekend... how bad is the traffic? What would be the best time to attempt to drive there on a Friday evening? Could I get itckets easily to a weekend game if I tried only a week in advance online? What hotels do you recommmend near Nassau... that aren't out of this world expensive but that I can get easily to Manhattan and leave my car parked for a weekend/3 day weekend? Like $150-200 a night. Is there any place to avoid if my goal is to stay somewhere somewhat close to the arena? I know nothing of New York and think Long Island could be a pretty safe place but close to everything in New York for a 2 or 3 day vacation there and hopefully an Isles game.

Frnakly I know your arena is old and kinda dingy.. That actually is a draw to see the old time arena the Isles won 4 Cups at. And old time somewhat old school arena.. I want to see the atmosphere there.

Anyway any advice.. I might try to come up sometime before the playoffs start... from Ottawa. I frankly fear New York Traffic... and would avoid it as much as possible. So advice as o routes and times of day or night or of the week would be valuable.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
There is a Marriott on the Coliseum property. Not sure how much for rooms, but probably more than 150-200, maybe like 225-250.

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
Traffic sucks during the day, at nite it slows down

If the Islanders are still in the race the weekend games will probably sell out, but usually they dont sell out till the day of the game unless it is the Rangers or another event(like this game we are honoring the Stanley Cup Dynasty in a few weeks)

Marriot is right next to the Coliseum, but there is no train station near by and youd need your car to drive to the train station or just drive into the city

Long Island is pretty dull and boring and outside of the Coliseum there isnt much to do, I'd say you are probably better off staying in the city and maybe driving out the Coliseum for the game, because it will probably be a pain in the ass driving into the city every day

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
There is a Marriott on the Coliseum property. Not sure how much for rooms, but probably more than 150-200, maybe like 225-250.

Checked that out.... $199-229 a night over Mar 29th weekend.. evening game with Philly with many cheaper tickets available.... But I ended up checking out the Hyatt Regnecy Long Island.. obviously a ton farther out on Long Island. But really nice and only $119 a night. How far out is 1717 Motor Parkway,, Hauppauge, New York, USA 11788..... or really this on google maps... http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Halfway or farther down Long Island... maybe we could make a 4 or 5 day trip of it... How hard is it to get into the city form that far out..on a weekday or weekend... (taking public tranposrtation) how much other stuff is there to do on long island.... at the end of March? Is coney Island open in Late March?

Clearly there is a ton to do on Long Island and New York but any suggestions.. especially for Long Island that I would not have previously thought of?

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
Checked that out.... $199-229 a night over Mar 29th weekend.. evening game with Philly with many cheaper tickets available.... But I ended up checking out the Hyatt Regnecy Long Island.. obviously a ton farther out on Long Island. But really nice and only $119 a night. How far out is 1717 Motor Parkway,, Hauppauge, New York, USA 11788..... or really this on google maps... http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Halfway or farther down Long Island... maybe we could make a 4 or 5 day trip of it... How hard is it to get into the city form that far out..on a weekday or weekend... (taking public tranposrtation) how much other stuff is there to do on long island.... at the end of March? Is coney Island open in Late March?

Clearly there is a ton to do on Long Island and New York but any suggestions.. especially for Long Island that I would not have previously thought of?

Hauppauge is probably about 40 minutes from the Coliseum, without traffic. If you are going to go into the city, you can take the LIRR (Long Island RailRoad). You don't need to drive in, you can however if you choose to. It will be well over an hour ride, especially during the week during rush hour. Not sure about Coney island being open this time of year, but it is located in brooklyn.

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site

Just got back from my trip and had a great time. Unfortunetly we didn't leave Jersey till later than I wanted, so we didn't have time to stop at Vincents. I really wanted to try it. We left so late we got stuck in the rush hour traffic from Jersey City to the Coliseum. Took about 1.5 hours to make the 20+ mile trip. Although, it wasn't all that bad, just more annoying than anything.

The coliseum itself was ok(as well as the game, the Pens lost). I wasn't expecting much, but I was still disappointed. We got stuck in the last row of seats that look like they were just thrown in there. I'm a tall guy and luckily there wasn't many people around so we could stretch out. If it would've been full, I would've had to stand the whole time. The outside of it is plain, but I sorta liked that. Brings back that old time feel.

You guys have such a great history and you have that arena. Is there any talk of a new one? You definately deserve it.

rbw

A good man. And thorough.
Oct 28, 2006
Leaving for the Island from Jersey at 3:30, what is the traffic like? Thnks!

No good answer for this one, and you probably already know most of this, but I'd strongly recommend avoiding the LIE until you can't (ie, Cross Island Parkway; don't use the Midtown Tunnel). If you're coming from Northern Jersey, I'd probably take the GW to the Triborough to Queens; then 687 (?) towards the Whitestone, then Cross-Island to either LIE or GCT East (Northern State).

From South Jersey, VN to the Belt to the Southern State is usually a nightmare (ever try to catch a flight at JFK leaving from downtown?), but it's tough to avoid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad