Nassau Coliseum Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I also found those LI kids who identified as city kids hilarious as if being from LI was like being from Mobile or Decatur.

I never lie about where I grew up (Levittown), but honestly, once I hit high school I felt like I didn't belong. I started hanging out in the city and felt so much more at home. Once I was able to I moved into Queens, then Brooklyn, and back again to Queens and would never move back to LI. Now that the Isles are in Brooklyn, I only really cross into Nassau to visit my parents and brother. Even my old LI friends come to me when we hang out.

Different strokes and all of that, but it's just not for me.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
HAHA this! So many people come here from out of town on the premise that it is the center of the universe or something... They also tend to think they are more NY than the people who grew up in the area after they have lived in Manhattan for like 2-3 years. I find it all very tedious. I will say this, if you are looking to build career momentum in the Financial Services industry, there still is probably no better place to start and then take the skills and career momentum to another region.

I never did the apartment in NYC thing, I'm sure it's fun and it's nice having a short commute, but I would get way too claustrophobic.

I dated a girl years ago who had lived in Manhattan for a few years, and when I said I was from LI originally she made a comment about the "bridge and tunnel crowd".

That got me a little worked up so I responded accordingly, and she quickly learned who was really a New Yorker. :laugh:

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
HAHA this! So many people come here from out of town on the premise that it is the center of the universe or something... They also tend to think they are more NY than the people who grew up in the area after they have lived in Manhattan for like 2-3 years. I find it all very tedious. I will say this, if you are looking to build career momentum in the Financial Services industry, there still is probably no better place to start and then take the skills and career momentum to another region.

I never did the apartment in NYC thing, I'm sure it's fun and it's nice having a short commute, but I would get way too claustrophobic.

I enjoy going into the city to hang out, drink, and walk around. But, I would never live in the city. Just not for me. I live on the island and if i could, I'd move somewhere else, like down south somewhere. I like that life style better than the roaring city. Just not my cup of coffee.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
And you'd turn into one of those toolbags who brings their laptop to Starbucks, gets a $5 coffee and sits there for 3 hrs...

**** Starbucks. I don't drink coffee, but if I did I sure as **** wouldn't go to that friggin place for many reasons.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I enjoy going into the city to hang out, drink, and walk around. But, I would never live in the city. Just not for me. I live on the island and if i could, I'd move somewhere else, like down south somewhere. I like that life style better than the roaring city. Just not my cup of coffee.

I share the same exact sentiment. Just ending a year long lease in Astoria, Queens after living on LI for my whole life. I wanted to give apartment living in "the city" a chance but it is just not for me. Need to leave the city after I leave work, can't always be there.

100% looking to move south in the future, but for now moving back to south shore LI.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Most of the desirable neighborhoods are more attractive because the rest realize the other ones are trending down... That's a sign things are not looking so hot...I love this millenials desire the 'burbs thing, because it's in complete contravention of everywhere else in a major market - maybe you are just referencing typical Burbanites that moved to NYC for a couple years and want back to the burbs - that has nothing to do with millenials.

fyi on the burbs and millennials:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/think-millennials-prefer-the-city-think-again/

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/03/09/your-new-neighbor-in-the-burbs-a-millennial-yes-really.html

http://www.wsj.com/articles/millennials-prefer-single-family-homes-in-the-suburbs-1421896797

it's not just anecdotal or a NYC thing. The narrative is changing.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Go to a better college, get a better GPA in a desirable major, and get recruited for an attractive job. Aim high.

It's possible to be able to work really hard and be able to afford to live on Long Island

But why? What's the payoff? Wouldn't it be better to do all that and then take your nice career someplace else cheaper, or equally expensive but nicer?

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
It's possible to be able to work really hard and be able to afford to live on Long Island

But why? What's the payoff? Wouldn't it be better to do all that and then take your nice career someplace else cheaper, or equally expensive but nicer?

I meant that generally, not with regard to LI specifically. Where and why people elect to live is their choice. Yes, there are better places to live at the same, higher, and lower cost of living and quality of life.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
OK, have to ask because I've seen this in posts several times recently, but what the hell does 'taek' mean?
I've even googled it and I still don't know.

It's a purposeful misspelling of the word "take" that implies the crappy writer pumping out controversial nonsense is typing so fast he can't even spell simple words correctly.

"Hot take" is a term denoting controversial (and usually silly) opinions. Think Stephen A. Smith, Skip Bayless, etc. They are "hot taek" artists. Our board specializes in hot Josh Bailey taeks.

A take: Josh Bailey is an effective 3rd line player who can slide up when necessary."

Hot take: Josh Bailey is an ineffective floater who scores slightly under a PPG but is a liability in other ways.

HOT TAEK: JOSH BARELY SHOULD BE TRADED TOMORROW; HE SUCKS AND THERE'S NOTHING THAT WILL EVER CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE. THIS GUY IS THE WORST PLAYER ON THE TEAM.

SECOND EDIT: My take is that we're going to lose to the Rangers on Sunday. My hot taek is that the loss will impact our playoff positioning and maybe even the rest of the season significantly.

Last edited by Abe Vukota; 03-02-2016 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: EDIT: Mods will probably want to sticky this incisive guide.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I hope Nassau County lost a TON OF PLAYOFF REVENUE from losing the Islanders to NYC.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
hope the town and county miss out big time! I feel bad for the businesses though.

I was talking to the workers at Col Del this morning and they were saying how much they miss them there. Not sure how much they were affected by the move.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
I would imagine several 100s of thousand per night.

The county is well off, they don't need additional streams of revenue ;)

I'm warming up to bk big time. Don't want to go back. If you think about it, it's crazy as hell that we were there in the first place. You would think this team would have had to be pried from their fingers to get away from Nassau..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad