Naslund/Thornton/Iginla vs. Marchand/Bergeron/Kane

Which line do you take?

• Total voters

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I'll take every player in the first line over every player on the second

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
People never seem to value line dynamics. Just because players have a reputation of being great doesn't mean their games will necessarily fit together. If you put MacKinnon and Ovechkin on a line, they aren't going to both lead the league in shot attempts still. There's a tradeoff with different roles that players take.

Thornton-Iginla is a natural fit with a playmaker/goal-scorer combo but who's doing the heavy lifting on that line? Marchand and Kane are both adept as elite playmakers and goal-scorers and are incredible in transition and puck carrying in the O-zone, and then Bergeron does all the heavy-lifting. We've already seen Kane and Marchand adapt depending on who their winger is as goal-scorers or playmakers. We've seen similar dynamics for both with Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak and Panarin-Anisimov-Kane. You also have built-in chemistry already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yard Cobra

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Peaks:
Naslund: 2nd in points, 2nd in goals, 2nd in Hart, Pearson
Thornton: 1st in points, Hart
Iginla: 1st in points, 1st in goals, Pearson, 2nd in Hart

vs.

Kane: 1st in points, 2nd in goals, Pearson, Hart,
Marchand: 4th in goals, 5th in points, 7th in Hart
Bergeron: Selke , 5th Hart

The offence of Naslund/Thornton/Iginla would overwhelm the second group

Last edited:

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Kane and Marchand haven't played together, and I have my doubts that two high-risk players who like to hold the puck as much as they do would be as successful as their skill sets would suggest. And we know you're just trying to pump Bergeron tires, but control yourself- this is a family site.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Kane and Marchand haven't played together, and I have my doubts that two high-risk players who like to hold the puck as much as they do would be as successful as their skill sets would suggest. And we know you're just trying to pump Bergeron tires, but control yourself- this is a family site.
What you're describing is exactly what Marchand and Pastrnak are. I'd argue Kane is the most versatile offensive player in the league. He's amazing with the puck on his stick but he also is great at popping up in the softer areas of the ice if someone else has it.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
What?

How am I pumping Bergerons tires? I think he's the weakest of the 6.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Line 1 has 3 players who could legitimately be argued as the best in the world at some point. 2 ross winners, all 3 hart/lindsay winners.

Line 2 has Kane then 2 guys who have never sniffed a ross or a hart or a lindsay.

Easily line 1.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Kane and Pasta's games are completely different.
They're high risk/reward players that can create something out of nothing with the puck on their stick. They're also two of the best wingers in transition in the league. If you watch the Bruins play, Marchand is usually the primary puck carrier in the Ozone, but Pastrnak is the best with zone entries and beats players one on one with the puck as well in the Ozone. He's not just sitting there waiting for one-timers. Bergeron is there to lend support in the Ozone and quickly bump it to someone else. If there was a metric that tracked how soon a player gets the puck off his stick after getting it, I can guarantee Bergeron would be at the top of the league for that. That line mixes quick passing with one on one puck carrying by the wingers. That's why they work so well as a unit. Kane would just be even more effective in that set up with Bergeron tilting he ice to allow him to play outside of the Dzone more.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
They're high risk/reward players that can create something out of nothing with the puck on their stick. They're also two of the best wingers in transition in the league. If you watch the Bruins play, Marchand is usually the primary puck carrier in the Ozone, but Pastrnak is the best with zone entries and beats players one on one with the puck as well in the Ozone. He's not just sitting there waiting for one-timers. Bergeron is there to lend support in the Ozone and quickly bump it to someone else. If there was a metric that tracked how soon a player gets the puck off his stick after getting it, I can guarantee Bergeron would be at the top of the league for that. That line mixes quick passing with one on one puck carrying by the wingers. That's why they work so well as a unit. Kane would just be even more effective in that set up with Bergeron tilting he ice to allow him to play outside of the Dzone more.

The issue would be that Kane isn't someone that finds soft spots. He is someone that wants the puck. I think Bergeron and Marchand would actually be a deterrent.

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Is it in their primes? Because then that first group you've assembled is nearly a perfect line. One of the best playmakers ever, between one of the best scorers of his era, and one of the highest skilled power forwards of his era. If they're all in their prime, that might be the best line ever.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The issue would be that Kane isn't someone that finds soft spots. He is someone that wants the puck. I think Bergeron and Marchand would actually be a deterrent.
He absolutely can. He was known for that before where he'd have people lose him in the Ozone. I specifically remember people talking about that in the 2010 Cup run. A huge strength of Kane is that he can adapt his game offensively depending on who he plays with. He's become on of the most consistent goal scorers and one of the most consistent playmakers. I believe he was top 5 in both goals and assists for the decade.

If you have two offensive minded players, there isn't a better player to play with than Bergeron. He does all the heavy lifting but still finds spots in the Ozone where he can either finish or keep the play moving. He just allows dynamic players to play with the puck more and take more chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad