Value of: Nashville's pending UFAs

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Pardon my lack of knowledge if I'm off base, but doesn't Trenin hit everything that moves? I assume that's an asset many teams would love to have in the playoffs to beef up their bottom 6. Could see a team overpaying for him.

I would think a team wanting to grind in the East would be looking at Trenin. Tampa might so they keep him out of the hands of others. The Rangers or Bruins might because they aren't shy about adding grit. Toronto might because they need some physicality in their bottom 6 that is going to exact a toll via hitting instead of what Domi and Bertuzzi provide.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I would think a team wanting to grind in the East would be looking at Trenin. Tampa might so they keep him out of the hands of others. The Rangers or Bruins might because they aren't shy about adding grit. Toronto might because they need some physicality in their bottom 6 that is going to exact a toll via hitting instead of what Domi and Bertuzzi provide.
I don't know if Tampa wants to go down that well again after the Jeannot deal. :D

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Trenin for Nick Robertson? 🤷

I like Trenin but thats an overpay, trading a cost controlled young NHL asset for a rental is not smart. I would move Robertson if we got more pieces from Nashville however.

Id do leafs 1st + Ryan Tverberg (22/23 year old prispect putting up good numbers on the marlies who plays a pretty forechecking based game) for Carrier@50% + Trenin@50%

I would love love love something like this, I was about to propose about the exact same thing.

We only have one retention spot left this year, but we can take cap back.

Can I interest you in Connor Timmins so you dont lose a body on D?

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018

I would love Trenin. Idk if we're buying heavy at the deadline since despite what the standings say, we don't have the roster to make a deep playoff run. Would love to see him flank Beecher and Lauko on the 4th line next year or even on Frederic's wing on the 3rd.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would love Trenin. Idk if we're buying heavy at the deadline since despite what the standings say, we don't have the roster to make a deep playoff run. Would love to see him flank Beecher and Lauko on the 4th line next year or even on Frederic's wing on the 3rd.

He does seem to fit Bruin depth - plays a physical game and is responsible in his own zone.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
He'd fit like a glove with the Bruins. He's always flashed more offensive ability, but doesn't have the hands to finish consistently. It can be a little frustrating, but if you just take him for what he is then he's a really nice player to have on the team. I'd honestly prefer to keep him, but for whatever reason our negotiations didn't go well last year and nothing has come out this year about extending.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Novak for Wahlstrom (or JGP if he’s more your style in Nashville) problem solved. Barry owes Lou a favor and this is how he reciprocates it.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Only way I think it happens is if Trotz just decides he isn't going to sign.

Bigger issue is with us sitting in a wild card spot he may not move anyone, which I think long term is foolish.
I mean, it's not really foolish if the guys are only worth 2nd round picks or lower. The odds of getting anything but replacement level players out of those picks aren't good. They'll get something more tangible out of just making the playoffs. Or at least out of playing out the stretch trying to win hockey games.

It'd be different if they were trying to trade guys who just flat out sucked and aren't helping. (Barrie, Schenn for example). But Carrier, Trenin, Novak... they're decent players within their roles. They may not have enough market value however to be worth trading, given we already have lots of mid picks and prospects.
:dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I mean, it's not really foolish if the guys are only worth 2nd round picks or lower. The odds of getting anything but replacement level players out of those picks aren't good. They'll get something more tangible out of just making the playoffs. Or at least out of playing out the stretch trying to win hockey games.

It'd be different if they were trying to trade guys who just flat out sucked and aren't helping. (Barrie, Schenn for example). But Carrier, Trenin, Novak... they're decent players within their roles. They may not have enough market value however to be worth trading, given we already have lots of mid picks and prospects.
:dunno:
When you are rebuilding more assets is the goal, mid round or not. They can be used in the future to gain other assets or move up in the draft.

Keeping a guy that won't be here after this season on a rebuilding team is silly. Making the playoffs this year is nothing more than a bonus not a reason to change plans.

Reactions: Dadof5boys

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
For trenin I'd do Gregor + Timmins + 3rd. Two serviceable 25 year old players under team control past this season and a 3rd.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I like Trenin but think he can be replaced within our system. His value around the league also seems to be high so I'm leaning towards moving him.

Reactions: Armourboy

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Wow that’s bad. Even if I knew I couldn’t resign Trenin and there were no other offers I wouldn’t trade him for that.
If you think Trenin is worth more then a 2nd round pick you might as well own rental him because he isn't worth more then that.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
When you are rebuilding more assets is the goal, mid round or not. They can be used in the future to gain other assets or move up in the draft.

Keeping a guy that won't be here after this season on a rebuilding team is silly. Making the playoffs this year is nothing more than a bonus not a reason to change plans.
We're already getting to the point where we aren't going to be able to sign all the prospects in our system. I don't think more longshot prospects is really the answer at all. But again, it all comes back to the identities and roles of the players we're moving, and on the odds of them staying with the team. Because even if you tell me today that Carrier and Novak are asking for too much to extend them right now, I think the odds of finding a way before July 1st are still far higher than the odds of a general late 2nd round pick panning out. And at the end of the day, what you need are odds of having NHL calibre assets. Having those guys still in the mix, having the other players go through the team-building of a playoff run (however short) is still better for the long term building going on. We already made the big moves to change the culture and stockpile draft picks, that's in the rearview mirror for a team that can make the playoffs.

Now Trenin is a different story. Because to me, the odds of him staying would seem far far lower. He may just want out due to past issues he has had with how the organization has handled him. I don't feel like he's going to sign before July 1st no matter what happens. Moving him is less of an issue than Novak or Carrier.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wow that’s bad. Even if I knew I couldn’t resign Trenin and there were no other offers I wouldn’t trade him for that.
Yeah, there is no way Gregor or Timmins add anything. Preds have their own players already in Milwaukee who are better. For Trenin the minimum really needs to be a higher 2nd round pick. Bare minimum. Trenin may not be "worth" that in a vacuum, but the TDL sometimes brings funny things.

I think holding him as an own-rental is a valid plan for a playoff-bound team if you aren't getting say a top-45 pick for him. I wouldn't go around saying he's "worth that"... not so far this season anyway... but in his best Herd Line season when he was showing more offense he probably could have been worth a late 1st. It's not impossible that if he landed in the right spot he could find that level again... but if I was a buyer team, I personally wouldn't gamble on it.

A 3rd round pick for Trenin simply won't be considered.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Novak for Wahlstrom (or JGP if he’s more your style in Nashville) problem solved. Barry owes Lou a favor and this is how he reciprocates it.
Nashville has tons of wingers in their pipeline so i dont see wahlstrom as much of an interest and JGP is too old to be of interest for our retool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad