Value of: Nashville's pending UFAs

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
We're already getting to the point where we aren't going to be able to sign all the prospects in our system. I don't think more longshot prospects is really the answer at all. But again, it all comes back to the identities and roles of the players we're moving, and on the odds of them staying with the team. Because even if you tell me today that Carrier and Novak are asking for too much to extend them right now, I think the odds of finding a way before July 1st are still far higher than the odds of a general late 2nd round pick panning out. And at the end of the day, what you need are odds of having NHL calibre assets. Having those guys still in the mix, having the other players go through the team-building of a playoff run (however short) is still better for the long term building going on. We already made the big moves to change the culture and stockpile draft picks, that's in the rearview mirror for a team that can make the playoffs.

Now Trenin is a different story. Because to me, the odds of him staying would seem far far lower. He may just want out due to past issues he has had with how the organization has handled him. I don't feel like he's going to sign before July 1st no matter what happens. Moving him is less of an issue than Novak or Carrier.
The guys you need to be seeing playoff runs are in Milwaukee, so going for it here doesn't even add that benefit. There is Novak and Carrier I suppose but those guys very well might not even be here next season so worrying them buiding for a playoff run is a bit silly.

If Trotz knows certain guys aren't going to be around next season already because they either don't want to sign or he doesn't want to sign them then you might as well get what you can. Oddly enough as much as you crap on " mid round picks " some of the better players we've pulled out of the draft have come in the 2nd, 4th rounds. You don't have Josi or Weber, or Arvy without those picks and that's just to name a few.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad