Post-Game Talk: Nashville Wins - This is Like Coke and Mentos

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
People get on me here too when I constantly defend McDrai from criticism. They've more than earned it. I even expect them to have downtimes. How can mortals not.

As a fanbase we become unappreciative of the two great player we do have who are in an apparent slump. We experience their great play and learn to expect it always. But theres no players in the league that are giving it all the time. O Reilly for instance who was first star looked like a god. Theres been whole months from him that look awful. He plays his way off several clubs. If the guy was here he'd be highly critiqued for inconsistency, bad attitude, but yesterday he had a throne.

lately people here are wanking to Matthews again. How many times are there when Matthews is off his game. What has that team ever accomplished?

How about Stamkos. An absolute turd. But has 3 cups and not because of him, but because of being on the right deep teams.

In hockey it isn't always the superstars that determine season outcomes.
Very well said. I think the fan base has become too complacent with McDrai and sometimes forgets although they don’t always seem it they are not superhuman. The real issue seems to be whatever is nagging Connor as it has forced us to play them together all year even when both are mired in the biggest slumps of their careers right now. I have a feeling they turn this around soon and all these so called fans are put back in their place.

Last edited:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Has McDavid been “figured out”? I said it before the season started, I worried about his last quarter stretch of games last year. That shot that he was using to shoot through defenders and score was being closed off. Sportsnet ran a segment on how to stop McDavid, and it was noted he’s scoring a bunch of goals by just rushing and stopping short and shooting through defenders. I swear ever since that segment aired, that type of goal for McDavid happened much much less frequently.

I don't think that's the case. McDavid's not playing healthy. When a guy like him scored 60+ goals last season but has been more allergic to shooting so far this season, something's definitely aching his body.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don't think that's the case. McDavid's not playing healthy. When a guy like him scored 60+ goals last season but has been more allergic to shooting so far this season, something's definitely aching his body.

I hope it’s something underlying, I mean with the extreme amounts of abuse the League allows on McD combined with his high minutes, we should expect something physically to slow him down eemventually. But McD himself said he’s fine, so who knows. I had a sneaky suspicion the league came up with a new strategy against him last year…. I’m still seeing it now… hope I’m just being paranoid though.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Confidence is down. Like with Drai. But the same McD that was tryng to score by shooting the puck from behind off goalies heads is now in that can't score slump everybody gets. Even the greatest get that.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I hope it’s something underlying, I mean with the extreme amounts of abuse the League allows on McD combined with his high minutes, we should expect something physically to slow him down eemventually. But McD himself said he’s fine, so who knows. I had a sneaky suspicion the league came up with a new strategy against him last year…. I’m still seeing it now… hope I’m just being paranoid though.

I mean, I don't expect Connor to admit he's playing hurt as 1) Some will yap about him making excuses 2) Teams will key on the injury like how the dumb ass flames tried to chop at Draisaitl's leg (despite slashing at the wrong leg) during the BOA. Connor hasn't really had that 2nd gear shift that we know he has this season either. There was a glimpse of it last night when he drove to the preds end with the puck and got a nice shot on net by using one of the preds player as a screen. I'd rather him rest and recover from whatever's ailing him, but that's not going to happen.

Confidence is down. Like with Drai. But the same McD that was tryng to score by shooting the puck from behind off goalies heads is now in that can't score slump everybody gets. Even the greatest get that.

Same can be said for Draisaitl. Guy's been gripping his stick way too hard lately, hence why he's been whiffing or not hitting the spots he often snipes. Once those two get going, the offense will progress. My main worry is our goaltending which wouldn't even stop Stevie Wonder shooting the puck to score. Even an average goaltending effort would've net this teams some wins, its frustrating to watch like that 1-1 goal by nashville after the oilers scored the first goal.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I mean, I don't expect Connor to admit he's playing hurt as 1) Some will yap about him making excuses 2) Teams will key on the injury like how the dumb ass flames tried to chop at Draisaitl's leg (despite slashing at the wrong leg) during the BOA. Connor hasn't really had that 2nd gear shift that we know he has this season either. There was a glimpse of it last night when he drove to the preds end with the puck and got a nice shot on net by using one of the preds player as a screen. I'd rather him rest and recover from whatever's ailing him, but that's not going to happen.

Same can be said for Draisaitl. Guy's been gripping his stick way too hard lately, hence why he's been whiffing or not hitting the spots he often snipes. Once those two get going, the offense will progress. My main worry is our goaltending which wouldn't even stop Stevie Wonder shooting the puck to score.

True. McD would never say what’s ailing him. Let’s hope it’s just that and a bit of a slump.

Reactions: McAsuno

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
2 things that have changed:

1) On the vaunted pass back to McD opponents are positioning better, even on pk and not allowing McDrai a rocket path to net. At worst they are slowing him down, at best they have a player in NZ running right into him. They are slowing his speed or stopping him and Drai is being the usual outlet for a pass off to avoid the offside. Teams are getting to McD at the line or before entry.

2)Defenders are now simply deferring to take the man rather than the puck. This is basic and should have been the case anyways. So defenders are being careful to be square to McD and making it much harder for him to just walk defenders. used to be only confident D would do this to McD but now more D are. McD might have lost a step and that he's just one iota easier to stick with now. Even on his one hilight reel goal of the season the Defenders still were able to hit him, make impact with him. In prior years they were missing.

I'm not as much a coverage and systems guy but very apparent both Drai and McD are also being spied when entering zone. Meaning assigned player is always on them. like flies. So that when we separate McDrai it makes it easier to double team. When they are together its easier to spot premium 5 man units against them. In the playoffs the Kings and the Knights were both often enough putting strength against strength on McDrai and veterans can win those battles.

Reactions: TheNumber4

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
2 things that have changed:

1) On the vaunted pass back to McD opponents are positioning better, even on pk and not allowing McDrai a rocket path to net. At worst they are slowing him down, at best they have a player in NZ running right into him. They are slowing his speed or stopping him and Drai is being the usual outlet for a pass off to avoid the offside. Teams are getting to McD at the line or before entry.

2)Defenders are now simply deferring to take the man rather than the puck. This is basic and should have been the case anyways. So defenders are being careful to be square to McD and making it much harder for him to just walk defenders. used to be only confident D would do this to McD but now more D are. McD might have lost a step and that he's just one iota easier to stick with now. Even on his one hilight reel goal of the season the Defenders still were able to hit him, make impact with him. In prior years they were missing.

I'm not as much a coverage and systems guy but very apparent both Drai and McD are also being spied when entering zone. Meaning assigned player is always on them. like flies. So that when we separate McDrai it makes it easier to double team. When they are together its easier to spot premium 5 man units against them. In the playoffs the Kings and the Knights were both often enough putting strength against strength on McDrai and veterans can win those battles.

I think you are right here. Another issue is the League is going balls out to get faster, every team seems to know that’s the key now after seeing the Avs run around teams for years and dominate. When the League gets faster in general, McDs speed advantage is lessened and I agree that we are seeing way more D-men sticking with McD than in the past.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

He's not fine. If he was fine he would be taking face offs, the tell tale sign of a center playing through something is when they stop taking face offs and someone else has to do it.

Of course he's going to say he's fine in the media.

He's maybe 70% right now, thankfully it does seem like he can move fairly well out there, but it's not 100% yet.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Injuries to both McDavid and Ekholm have had huge impacts on this team so far.

That goes to also show the razor thin depth the team actually has.. when 1 or 2 key players are injured (even if they are still playing)... it makes this team into a mediocre squad as there just isn't enough skill in the lineup to compensate.

I know people like to point at the low PDO numbers as "bad luck" as well... but when you can't save pucks because the team can't play defense and the goalies can't stop even an average amount of medium/difficult shots and add to that that the team can't finish on chances worth a damn... you are going to have a low PDO by definition.

It will probably turn around due to some regression to the mean... but PDO can absolutely stay low all season long in they don't address their defensive/goaltending/lack of finish from majority of their forwards.

Just on that last point... do we really think players like McLeod/Holloway/Ryan/Janmark are finally going to find a sniper unlock mode? I doubt it.

Hyman and RNH are pretty much fully dependent on McDrai and when the big 2 slump... those complementary players will slump as well.

Brown was MIA even before he was injured and looks like he could be in that "slumpy" group all season as well as he fully recovers (hopefully) from his injuries.

Not to be totally negative... some positives:

Gagner is one bright spot with 2 goals already with his new bionic hips in place... maybe he pots 15-20 this season... that would be nice and an unexpected bonus.

Kane looks like he's engaged and his give a shit meter hasn't wavered... probably the best Oilers forward recently with regard to effort level. If he can fully get his hands back... he's definitely a positive out there.

Foegele has 3 goals already... finally could be busting out to be a 20+ goal scorer but he still muffins and misses too many of his opportunities.

Last edited:

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Fire GM. Trade them all. Build through draft. I'm sick of seeing mcdaddy suffer.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Have you seen the Oilers draft before? Doesn't seem like a viable option.
I forgot to mention - we will be mandated to pick straight from central scouting ratings....we have to make this idiot proof, for obvious reasons...

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The only real viable option to alleviate mass suffering is at least a proxy fan shift to another team, preferably one that Bettman loves and one that tests their water regularity.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Right? I am flabbergasted on some the remarks not only here but on social media as well towards McDrai right now. Is one 10 game stretch of sub standard play although still PPG pace enough to disregard almost a decade of dominance? Are we really that bad of a fan base to turn on the guys that have consistently produced year in and year out?
Yes. Pretty toxic fan base. Many oilers fans deserve this version of the oilers.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Right? I am flabbergasted on some the remarks not only here but on social media as well towards McDrai right now. Is one 10 game stretch of sub standard play although still PPG pace enough to disregard almost a decade of dominance? Are we really that bad of a fan base to turn on the guys that have consistently produced year in and year out?
Not only this time around. Coffey used to get jeered on ice and Grant Fuhr booed. Theres always been that element in the fanbase that given even greatness expect greater. I didn't get it then and I don't now. Anybody booing the present team or the 80's team should have to experience being a Canucks or Sabres fan through eternity. never booed a team on home ice and never will. Never tossed anything either.

Its not an easy market to play for as working class markets in Canada can be hard to play places. People always figure you aren't workign hard enough "and i pulled 20hr shifts at Suncor and this f***er can't play 60mins" Its entitlement seemingly borne of that.

If you're McDrai in anycase you know full well that fans here are NEVER satisfied and rarely even happy. You can whack your body out of shape playing injured for two months and playing great and then spend the next postseason scoring 13 goals in playoffs and the jackals will still turn on you with the lazy german putdowns.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
This is an interesting comment. Not sure if the comment was anthropological in nature or tongue in cheek. But interesting nonetheless.

Agree that gradings of all sorts are equal parts fishwrap. Humans are hardwired to be inobjective and we make poor court witnesses. As a species.

Poor monkey by association.
Anthropological-- if we had to stop to make analysis/decisions everyday/all day then life would be completely impractical. Bias tells us not to put our hands on red hot burners.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Yes. Pretty toxic fan base. Many oilers fans deserve this version of the oilers.
Fans have to realize that without McDavid and Drai the Oilers would basically be an AHL team. They could be in the NHL basement for 20 years.

The new poll question would be:

Who will win more games this season--the Elkimos or the Oilers?

Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Anthropological-- if we had to stop to make analysis/decisions everyday/all day then life would be completely impractical. Bias tells us not to put our hands on red hot burners.
Kind of where I thought you were going. Don't pick the red berries, don't eat those mushrooms. Not really bias as such, but learned.

Gets interesting with innate traits like being afraid of spiders, snakes. entities that can harm us,. the elements and reactions that are hardwired into us at birth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad