Post-Game Talk: Nashville Wins - This is Like Coke and Mentos

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Fans have to realize that without McDavid and Drai the Oilers would basically be an AHL team. They could be in the NHL basement for 20 years.

The new poll question would be:

Who will win more games this season--the Elkimos or the Oilers?
It kind of sucks that it's such a double-edged sword.

They'd be an AHL team without them, but they're so good that they make deadbeat GMs think that the AHL team around is actually good too.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It kind of sucks that it's such a double-edged sword.

They'd be an AHL team without them, but they're so good that they make deadbeat GMs think that the AHL team around is actually good too.
No doubt Kenny has rode his good luck with these two. He's obviously not the brightest bulb in the chandelier but really no worse than what the Flames or other sports organizations have had for so many years. So many of these sports executives represent the worst of the old boys club. It's a beer/golf/who knows Wayne ensemble.

Some Oiler fans don't realize that most NHL franchises will never be fortunate enough to have a Gretzky/Messier or a Mcdavid/Drai combination. Its been a pretty special thing to witness all these years. It looks to me that the club will not make the playoffs (hopefully I'm wrong) but I am still going to enjoy watching the Mc-D magic for a few more seasons. He's hurt right now but still the most gifted player on the planet.

Who knows, maybe Ernie catches fire too.

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
The Oilers are better than they have shown. It's also definitely the case that the Conference is harder than it was last season. Vancouver and Anaheim are much more competitive and VGK and LAK are both still elite teams. I think this season could look an awful lot like 2005-2006 - including the team running with 3 goalies for a while (remember Mike Morrison? get ready for Olivier Rodrigues or Cal Pickard). Morrison's numbers were terrible - with the exception of his win-loss record (see Campbell last season). In 21 appearances in 2005-06 Morrison went 10-4-2. The Oilers could really stand to have a 3rd goalie appear and produce that kind of result.

I have a non-scientific theory that a 3rd string goalie can actually throw off opponents. The scouting reports aren't as detailed and the tendencies aren't as obvious to shooters. This is why you often see an AHL call goalie (or even and EBUG) put up decent numbers in the short term in the NHL. Remember the Hamburgler in Ottawa?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
One thing that has grated on me all weekend and Rishaug touched on in his podcast was the first shift of the second period by the McDavid - Draisaitl line. It's frankly inexcusable that they came out with that shift to start a period in a tie game.

Are we allowed to criticize them now? It was still taboo to say that they were playing like shit a week ago when it was obvious, but 5 games for Connor and 7 for Leon without a goal while being the worst defensive line on the team tells you all you need to know.

Reactions: bellagiobob

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The Oilers are better than they have shown. It's also definitely the case that the Conference is harder than it was last season. Vancouver and Anaheim are much more competitive and VGK and LAK are both still elite teams. I think this season could look an awful lot like 2005-2006 - including the team running with 3 goalies for a while (remember Mike Morrison? get ready for Olivier Rodrigues or Cal Pickard). Morrison's numbers were terrible - with the exception of his win-loss record (see Campbell last season). In 21 appearances in 2005-06 Morrison went 10-4-2. The Oilers could really stand to have a 3rd goalie appear and produce that kind of result.

I have a non-scientific theory that a 3rd string goalie can actually throw off opponents. The scouting reports aren't as detailed and the tendencies aren't as obvious to shooters. This is why you often see an AHL call goalie (or even and EBUG) put up decent numbers in the short term in the NHL. Remember the Hamburgler in Ottawa?
They can barely ice a full team let alone carry a third goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad