GDT: Nashville Predators vs Columbus Blue Jackets - 1-19-13

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Rinne ahead of Yip...ha! Classic.

Stupid question but...is the goalie allowed to be a shooter also? Does he have to use his goalie stick?!

I don't believe so. Goalies are not supposed to cross the center line and can't be a team Captain by rule. Roger Nielson used to use a D-man instead of a goalie on the other end. A rule was passed to prevent that.

ninetynine*

Also noticed last night that McGrattan asked Boll if he wanted to 'dance' and Boll politely declined.

I was hoping they would go at it.

Damn, was that before or after his fight with Weber? Hopefully McGrattan gets one soon.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
I thought the problems from last season are still big problems this season. No true offensive threat, can't keep the puck in the offensive zone for more than 3 passes and can only generate pressure off the rush, no cycle whatsoever.

Also the player we missed most last night was Tootoo, not Suter.

2 players I thought were awful was Halishuk and Hannan.

And did SK play?

haha, I couldn't disagree more

SK had 2 assists and looked fine out there. Hannan was invisible, as in very solid shut down dman kind of way. We did not miss Tootoo one iota. Suter, who knows? Josi performed very solid.

I believe at one point Wilson and Smith were out there together and they were exciting. Gaustad was the least impressive to me. Anisimov's goal was awesome to watch, but Gaustad should've just planted him or tried to knock the puck out. That shouldn't have been a goal.

Ryan Ellis was exciting as well.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN

Always easy to say things like that when one doesn't attend games (which I know the writer didn't and assume you didn't either). Smith wasn't playing well and got demoted. Wilson was playing well and got a promotion he earned.

We are one game into a season with a week of training camp and no exhibition games. The lines should be written in pencil just as they are in preseason. Players earn ice time. It's not given to them based on their offensive potential...

Fortheloveofthegame

Mar 18, 2008
USA
I do not attend the games, but I do watch a ton of hockey. I agree that ice time should not be given, just because of offensive potential. If you watch teams like the Oilers, Islanders, their young offensive players are given a lot " more rope " to play with and while they turn the puck over they also create true scoring threat as well.
Granted your team doesn't have 3 first overall picks, but Smith and Wilson have been mentioned as guys that MUST have consistent seasons for this team to have success. Hard to do without confidence, and ice-time. That's all, just an opinion.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
It was only a matter of time before Smith got demoted or benched. He was throwing too many pucks to the middle of the ice. Use the boards. Protect the puck. Don't throw it wildly to the middle of the ice just outside your blueline. Smith is a tough and smart kid. He'll fix the issue and move forward. I have a funny feeling Smith and Wilson will be on Legwand's wings once Bourque is back.ou

I am curious though, Gaustad instead of Spaling on the third line? He wins faceoffs and is tall. What else is he bringing that Spaling doesn't? Spaling was a solid number 3 for us last year and really connected well with Hornqvist and Bourque in the playoffs. Don't know why Trotz didn't put Hali on the wing with those two as the third line until Bourque is back in the lineup. Oh well.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I do not attend the games, but I do watch a ton of hockey. I agree that ice time should not be given, just because of offensive potential. If you watch teams like the Oilers, Islanders, their young offensive players are given a lot " more rope " to play with and while they turn the puck over they also create true scoring threat as well.
Granted your team doesn't have 3 first overall picks, but Smith and Wilson have been mentioned as guys that MUST have consistent seasons for this team to have success. Hard to do without confidence, and ice-time. That's all, just an opinion.
I agree we need to be more creative with the puck and IMHO we need more of a downlow cycle, but using the Oilers and the Islanders as examples of what we need to do is a reach, use teams like Vancouver or Boston as examples of how to do it right.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
The reason why I'm not too upset is because the whole league looks ****ing rusty. And we got a point. Bourques return will help. Mcgratten was useless and played 6 mins.

McG had a very good vantage point to see exactly what he's supposed to be doing because they had 2 clowns running around pushing the envelope (although I'd argue Boll crossed it and there shoulda' been a call) and hitting guys hard. If he can't throw/finish a check, then what is the point?

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
It was only a matter of time before Smith got demoted or benched. He was throwing too many pucks to the middle of the ice. Use the boards. Protect the puck. Don't throw it wildly to the middle of the ice just outside your blueline. Smith is a tough and smart kid. He'll fix the issue and move forward. I have a funny feeling Smith and Wilson will be on Legwand's wings once Bourque is back.ou

I am curious though, Gaustad instead of Spaling on the third line? He wins faceoffs and is tall. What else is he bringing that Spaling doesn't? Spaling was a solid number 3 for us last year and really connected well with Hornqvist and Bourque in the playoffs. Don't know why Trotz didn't put Hali on the wing with those two as the third line until Bourque is back in the lineup. Oh well.

I agree about Smith bouncing back.

I think Gaustad moved up to matchup against Anismov's size. Spaling is our 3rd line center tonight according to what I'm hearing today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad