GDT: Nashville Predators vs Columbus Blue Jackets - 1-19-13

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
We still lack a bona fide scoring threat and it's driving me mad.

That's definitely true. Early it looked like we had something, but it became apparent as the game went on that the Preds are still going to struggle with scoring this season.

Wish they could have brought back Andrei Kostitsyn, he was decent until Radulov showed up. Wouldn't have lit the league on fire by any stretch, but every little bit helps when you're a scoring by committee team. It just lessens the opportunity that everyone will go cold at once.

But, it's too early to call. By game 10 I think we can start worrying about things. Judging by the schedule, I think it was easy to see that the Preds would be playing catchup over the last 30 games, it's just a matter of how much catching up they'll have to do. I stand by my prediction of missing the playoffs.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Anisimov was pissing me off all game. (As in I HATE THAT THIS GUY IS THIS ANNOYING AND ON THE JACKETS!!!)

And everyone said how badly the Jackets did in that trade. I think they brought in some really good players and improved the TEAM as a whole. Sucks that I used to like Anisimov too, I can tell already that i'll hate him in a hurry.

Atkinson and Foligno will be good, and Bobrovsky is the best goalie they've ever had (once they learn to anticipate and clear his rebounds).

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
And everyone said how badly the Jackets did in that trade. I think they brought in some really good players and improved the TEAM as a whole. Sucks that I used to like Anisimov too, I can tell already that i'll hate him in a hurry.

Atkinson and Foligno will be good, and Bobrovsky is the best goalie they've ever had (once they learn to anticipate and clear his rebounds).

Fact is this, when Howson traded for Foligno and Anisimov and Dubinsky I said 'Oh look that's a David Poile tra...

****!'

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It obviously wasn't working with Nash. You guys will be pleased to know the current rebuild is being referred to as building "a Nashville type team". Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. Look we didn't even include a proven goal scorer on the roster. :laugh:

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
Anisimov is the real deal. I was impressed with his game.

Josi I thought played well in his first game as a #2. I didn't notice any mistakes on his part, and while I'm sure we don't want him out for 27 minutes a game, he didn't seem to wear down.

I wouldn't have guessed that Gill would find the pine in OT over Ellis but it almost worked out well for us. Ellis played like he knew what he was doing out there. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a few more minutes a game soon.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
It obviously wasn't working with Nash. You guys will be pleased to know the current rebuild is being referred to as building "a Nashville type team". Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. Look we didn't even include a proven goal scorer on the roster. :laugh:

You joke but that's EXACTLY what I was thinking.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

That's what I was warning people about. People easily fall into the trap of just assuming history always repeats, but I think Columbus did well for themselves over the off season. Not only did they fill some holes and strengthen their team, but they brought in JD as Pres. of Hockey Ops. I still think CBJ misses the playoffs this season (or does poorly if they make it), but in another season or two, once they have enough time to truly put it all together, this team should be able to turn it around. All of the teams in the Central as scary as **** going forward.

Well, except maybe Detroit, but they'll figure it out, too.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I was very pleased to see both Hannan and Weber sticking up for teammates. The hit on Klein was borderline, but I think Klein slightly turning his body changed it from a shoulder-to-shoulder hit into something that looked more dangerous.

Boll's hit on Smith was also borderline with the way they are wanting to call interference now, but no big deal. I was actually complaining in the first period about how many damn penalties were being called. I was OK with settling for Weber stepping in.

Of course, we were having a viewing party of sorts, so I'll have to go back and re-watch the game to see all of the things I missed.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Boll won that one getting Weber off the ice for 7 minutes. i wish there was a way to put in a clause saying 'If you fight you PAY 10K into charity."

gratefulpred

Eternal Optimist
Jun 27, 2011
Almo Heights, KY
Okay, I guess it was the heat of seeing the shootout and all but my wife asked me a question last night and I could not answer it.

During a shootout is it just fine and dandy for the skater to barrel right into the goalie after his shot? Seemed like at least twice the shooter would shoot and then then just crash on into Pekka...WTF?

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Okay, I guess it was the heat of seeing the shootout and all but my wife asked me a question last night and I could not answer it.

During a shootout is it just fine and dandy for the skater to barrel right into the goalie after his shot? Seemed like at least twice the shooter would shoot and then then just crash on into Pekka...WTF?

the ice was garbage last night ... due to the Justin Gayber concert the night before ... that's why the players weren't able to stop on a dime easily

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I was very pleased to see both Hannan and Weber sticking up for teammates. The hit on Klein was borderline, but I think Klein slightly turning his body changed it from a shoulder-to-shoulder hit into something that looked more dangerous.

Boll's hit on Smith was also borderline with the way they are wanting to call interference now, but no big deal. I was actually complaining in the first period about how many damn penalties were being called. I was OK with settling for Weber stepping in.

Of course, we were having a viewing party of sorts, so I'll have to go back and re-watch the game to see all of the things I missed.

Weber taking himself off the ice for seven minutes in a tight game when the team hadn't fully gelled was foolish on his part. They traded a bottom 6 forward for our #1 d-man and took advantage of the outcome.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Won't go into too much detail since it's only one game, but..

People who impressed me: Wilson, Hannan, Josi, Ellis (offensive zone)

People who were bad: Smith, Gaustad, Ellis (defensive zone)

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
That's what I was warning people about. People easily fall into the trap of just assuming history always repeats, but I think Columbus did well for themselves over the off season. Not only did they fill some holes and strengthen their team, but they brought in JD as Pres. of Hockey Ops. I still think CBJ misses the playoffs this season (or does poorly if they make it), but in another season or two, once they have enough time to truly put it all together, this team should be able to turn it around. All of the teams in the Central as scary as **** going forward.

Well, except maybe Detroit, but they'll figure it out, too.
There's a large difference between Columbus improving and it being acceptable to lose to them at home. They couldn't get much worse, so obviously they have to improve at some point. Yeah they are in better shape now than they were but we're still light years ahead of them. That's great that they may not suck every season anymore but there was nothing to be worried about going into last night outside of our own sloppiness and Bobrovsky playing well. I'm not worried about them because if we're truly still a good team, we should have better and stronger teams to be worried about. One of the Jackets fans above said they're trying to "build a Nashville-type team". Well I don't feel we should be losing to teams that are in the beginning-to-middle stage of trying to be like us. I'm also trying to not judge too quickly since we haven't even played preseason games, but neither has anyone else. Hopefully we're able to get our act together before tomorrow.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I thought the problems from last season are still big problems this season. No true offensive threat, can't keep the puck in the offensive zone for more than 3 passes and can only generate pressure off the rush, no cycle whatsoever.

Also the player we missed most last night was Tootoo, not Suter.

2 players I thought were awful was Halishuk and Hannan.

And did SK play?

StarvinArvyn33

Jun 18, 2010
Yesterday
I thought the problems from last season are still big problems this season. No true offensive threat, can't keep the puck in the offensive zone for more than 3 passes and can only generate pressure off the rush, no cycle whatsoever.

Also the player we missed most last night was Tootoo, not Suter.

2 players I thought were awful was Halishuk and Hannan.

And did SK play?

i thought hannan was quite good... no offense to his game but was pretty sound defensively.

StarvinArvyn33

Jun 18, 2010
Yesterday
Hannan was decent, but maybe only because I had prepared myself for him to be a trainwreck. If he plays like this all season then it will be a nice addition. Though I wish Weber and Hannan would leave the fighting to McGrattan, Yip and Clune.

yeah my expectations werent high for hannan but he definitely exceeded them. Him and Klein will be a nice shutdown pair. I tend to think that webers fight was a reaction and timely thing. He saw smith get questionably hit and then answered the bell immediately. If Arnott did that as captain i dont think half as many people would hate him. Weber did what i thought a captain should. On Hannans fight, I think that was more of a proving himself thing. Since that was his first game on a new team with not so many new guys.

AEM6729

Mar 1, 2010
Nashville
My shootout order:

Erat
Kostitsyn
Legwand
---
Wilson
Ellis
Fisher
Smith
Klein
Spaling
Weber
Josi
Hornqvist
Halischuk
Gaustad
Hannan
Gill
---
---
---
Rinne
---
---
---
---
---
---
Yip

Rinne ahead of Yip...ha! Classic.

Stupid question but...is the goalie allowed to be a shooter also? Does he have to use his goalie stick?!

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Hannan was exactly what I was expecting: a placeholder. I thought he was impressive and perfect for what we need. His job is to be consistent and steady, so Klein can be a big more aggressive, provide leadership to a young blue-line, and hold that spot until Blum is ready to be Klein's partner long-term. Thrilled with how he played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad