Nashville Predators talk - The offseason.

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
We should go after him as well. Not too long-term, he has his warts and seems to wear out welcomes, but exactly what we need on the blueline.
In that interview, he also stated Barrie was his favorite on ice partner... would you sign Barrie for 2-3yrs @ league min. if it got Z for 4.5-5 for the same term?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
We should go after him as well. Not too long-term, he has his warts and seems to wear out welcomes, but exactly what we need on the blueline.
I suspect Zadorov will command a surprising premium as a UFA. 5x$5M? Something like that. And warts and all, I probably won't even complain if we pay that, because we have such a need atm. Hopefully it won't seem too ludicrous in the long run... it definitely might, it wouldn't be risk-free... but I think that's the kind of contract it might take to land him? :dunno:

In that interview, he also stated Barrie was his favorite on ice partner... would you sign Barrie for 2-3yrs @ league min. if it got Z for 4.5-5 for the same term?
This does not surprise me one bit. Josi doesn't seem to be too bright in this area, we knew he loved having Ellis as his partner, and Barrie is like the replacement for that. When we can all see how bad it can look on the ice. Whereas he doesn't want to play with Fabbro, except that's what actually works. :facepalm:

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Some pretty high praise from Zadorov on Roman Josi here. I wonder how many guys in the league feel the same way?

I wonder if more players feel this way. Preds have a special player! Need to build more around him and FF9! It is a shame and a waste that the Org has not done this. First with Weber, and now with two more players. Spend the money and get the players!

Reactions: bdub24

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Zadorov is probably gonna get a fat paycheck from someone. Big, physical, can put up some offense, skates fairly good for his size. He checks alot of boxes. If we can ditch Lauzon, I would gladly take him but we cant have two dmen that rack up 100+ penalty minutes a season. That's just too many trips to the box goin on from the defense.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Herz you are arguing that Marner means you don't add a center, but the Predators very clearly need 2 pieces on offense, minimum. I do not think it is an either/or situation, it is a both.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Herz you are arguing that Marner means you don't add a center, but the Predators very clearly need 2 pieces on offense, minimum. I do not think it is an either/or situation, it is a both.
You use up assets and capspace to get marner leaving you lacking both to get the other. If you use saros to get marner, there goes our best trade chips unless you are willing to go for a really risky center like PLD or Norris in which case Marner's near 11 million caphit + near 12 million in dead cap next season (duchene, turris, joey, ekholm) makes it difficult to field a complete team. We can definitely use both cant argue there. We also need a rhd upgrade over fabbro, carrier, schenn and a lhd over lauzon.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
You use up assets and capspace to get marner leaving you lacking both to get the other. If you use saros to get marner, there goes our best trade chips unless you are willing to go for a really risky center like PLD or Norris in which case Marner's near 11 million caphit + near 12 million in dead cap next season (duchene, turris, joey, ekholm) makes it difficult to field a complete team. We can definitely use both cant argue there. We also need a rhd upgrade over fabbro, carrier, schenn and a lhd over lauzon.
Saros isn't returning anything close to a #1 Center. I agree we need all things listed, so why not add them as they become available instead of following the priority list?

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Like Enoch says though, they are all needs we need to fill and the cap penalties alone means the build is always going to be iterative (we can't fill all the holes in one season). Marner is head and shoulders superior to either of those centers mentioned. Strengthening our wings further also means we have more flexibility to trade winger prospects to address on our other holes going forward.

And don't mean to be harsh, but after 6 years of Johansen, I can't see how anyone on this board would want to take a flyer on PLD--his "don't give a f***" meter is already long-past what we saw with Joey.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Like Enoch says though, they are all needs we need to fill and the cap penalties alone means the build is always going to be iterative (we can't fill all the holes in one season). Marner is head and shoulders superior to either of those centers mentioned. Strengthening our wings further also means we have more flexibility to trade winger prospects to address on our other holes going forward.

And don't mean to be harsh, but after 6 years of Johansen, I can't see how anyone on this board would want to take a flyer on PLD--his "don't give a f***" meter is already long-past what we saw with Joey.
I guess it depends on trade price. He wont just cost saros (if toronto even wants saros with Woll in house) and the extension will be costly as well. With the cap finally going up again, maybe that isnt an issue.

We just cant get tunnel visioned into shiney toy while our other areas are in pretty dire need.

WRT PLD - that's the thing with centers. When they're young, noone will trade them unless there is something wrong with them or you are willing to pay a horrible price. I really dont want PLD because he is RyJo reincarnated but there arent any real options out there. We either luck out in the draft, we suck bad enough to get a good draft spot, or we absolutely bribe someone - but we saw how that went last draft where both our 1st + askarov couldnt get us moved into the top 5.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Maybe a $12M contract isn't entirely a deal-breaker in terms of adding a talent like Marner, and still having room to add. McDonagh will be going away in a bit, and Josi not long after. By the time we actually got a #1C in the cross-hairs, with the Cap continuing to rise, it probably wouldn't be a problem.

But I'm definitely not signing up for that *AND* trading a huge package of assets for the privilege. If he was a UFA, fine. Come here, pay less taxes, make more money. (Won't get any Selke nominations or the same endorsements however). Will win just as much, though! Shouldn't be impossible to lure Marner here as a free agent? Just... I'm a firm "no" on trading for him.

I'd be more interested in Brady Tkachuk if he still wants out of Ottawa. He makes as much impact in games, and is already more manageably under contract for 4 more years.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
If RyJo goes LTIR or Retires as many are speculating. What happens to his cap with the Preds?

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If Joey goes LTIR or Retires as many are speculating. What happens to his cap with the Preds?
I don't think we'll get any relief? Matt Murray had salary retained going from Ottawa to Toronto, then Toronto LTIR'ed him. I don't believe Ottawa got any relief.

And I don't see why he'd retire... he'll get his money if he just goes on LTIR, why give up the money for no reason?

:(

Reactions: bdub24

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Maybe a $12M contract isn't entirely a deal-breaker in terms of adding a talent like Marner, and still having room to add. McDonagh will be going away in a bit, and Josi not long after. By the time we actually got a #1C in the cross-hairs, with the Cap continuing to rise, it probably wouldn't be a problem.

But I'm definitely not signing up for that *AND* trading a huge package of assets for the privilege. If he was a UFA, fine. Come here, pay less taxes, make more money. (Won't get any Selke nominations or the same endorsements however). Will win just as much, though! Shouldn't be impossible to lure Marner here as a free agent? Just... I'm a firm "no" on trading for him.

I'd be more interested in Brady Tkachuk if he still wants out of Ottawa. He makes as much impact in games, and is already more manageably under contract for 4 more years.
If we are talking Ottawa, sign me up for Pinto and Tkachuk.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Same reaction I had to the Kings' presser yesterday with Robitallie feeling they were that close (despite getting eliminated in just 5 this year). I don't really understand the thought process here. Yeah, maybe a Zucker because our scoring depth is weak, but...we can't go much further with this roster than what we did. Why run it back? Cut the dead wood that doesn't work and start trying to plug in/add upgrades.

Bruno not mincing words. That's a straight up old school call out.
Dude's gone. Prospect for prospect trade in off-season or packaged for something else. Then we'll all ketch about every point he scores (cause even with his warts he seems a pretty good bet for 35-40 for a full season).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad