Post-Game Talk: Nashville Predators at New York Rangers 11/23/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vickers8

16-3-2, 1st 40 minutes of game played in Ranger zone, stupid penalties all game, Ribeiro, Neal and Gaustad are all *******s, Nash on fire, Hayes heating up. Hank has been sensational

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I've said before--the teams record in the standings is its justification. A lot of posters on the Rangers forum are s-p-o-i-l-e-d. If I were a fan of the Sabres, the Leafs, the Oilers or a bunch of other teams and I looked in on these pages at all the people griping about this team when it's winning games with a lot of consistency----I'd be like---'WTF!!?!?! What's wrong with these people? Sign my team up for the wins and let them get a real taste of what losing is like'.

This isn't likely to last forever. There will be a time when the Rangers come crashing back to earth and maybe even with a loud thud. No team stays on top forever and all time. When the crash comes that's the time I'll really start agonizing over advance stats and possession metrics. As long as the team is a legit contender though I'm going to be happy with it.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Dan Girardi is top 5 in the NHL in +-. :amazed:

To be fair, he's been playing primarily with Nash-Brass-Zucc, and that line has been on an absolute tear lately. G has been really good in the offensive zone lately as well, especially on that give-n-go with Brass last night.

I still want to see him paired with Yandle and have Klein play with McDonagh though.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
The crazy thing is you cannot have a record of 16-3-2 by accident.

By why does it sometimes feel that we could easily be 3-16-2?

This team is such an enigma:

I agree, if we are playing poorly and have such a great record, imagine what we are like when he are playing well?

BUT: I agree, our bad play and habits will eventually catch up with us.

Which is it? For the heck of me, I don't know.

I do think our lack of possession time is due to our forwards rather than poor play by our D. Despite all the Girardi and Staal hate, I think our D corp is fine. They are not the reason we are pinned in our own end. Our forwards inability to forecheck and create extended shifts in the offensive zone, ends up with possession going the other way and making our D look bad.

Sometimes I wish our D would not immediately look to make a pass to bring the puck out of the offensive zone to begin transition (I know that is AV's system) but give it to one of our centers to carry the puck.

I do know one thing....tomorrow's game against the Habs will be a good measuring stick and tell us exactly where we are.

AVsTimeOut

Jan 31, 2012
AV's Gum Retailer.
Okay I was wrong, we won. I can live with that.

Only saw the 3rd period, and was VERY impressed. We seemed to push the play, actually be the aggressor even though we had the lead. Maybe the Florida game lit a fire under their *****?

Judging by the other comments, I guess I didn't miss much by not watching the first 2 periods.

Either way, I wonder how many of you ranger fans have been around before the 04-05 lockout. Some of you are completely SPOILED, and are in for a rude awakening once we start the eventual decline. We're a good team. Enjoy it. It doesn't last forever (unless you're a patriots fan, in which case I hate you)

This. ****ing this.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Henrix been amazing when the rest of the team decides to play hockey we could be pretty tough to beat.

I think the coaches and management have done a great job in the last year and it's really paying off. Not perfect but who could argue with these results.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The crazy thing is you cannot have a record of 16-3-2 by accident.

By why does it sometimes feel that we could easily be 3-16-2?

This team is such an enigma:

I agree, if we are playing poorly and have such a great record, imagine what we are like when he are playing well?

BUT: I agree, our bad play and habits will eventually catch up with us.

Which is it? For the heck of me, I don't know.

I do think our lack of possession time is due to our forwards rather than poor play by our D. Despite all the Girardi and Staal hate, I think our D corp is fine. They are not the reason we are pinned in our own end. Our forwards inability to forecheck and create extended shifts in the offensive zone, ends up with possession going the other way and making our D look bad.

Sometimes I wish our D would not immediately look to make a pass to bring the puck out of the offensive zone to begin transition (I know that is AV's system) but give it to one of our centers to carry the puck.

I do know one thing....tomorrow's game against the Habs will be a good measuring stick and tell us exactly where we are.

I hear that are shooting % is not sustainable but it seems to me that the Rangers score a lot on quick/fast breaks and at the same time a lot of their chances are finding players loose in front of the net. It doesn't seem to me that the Rangers take a lot of low % shots. And if the Rangers can put up 3 goals in any given game---and have Henrik in net the opposition team is pretty much ****ed every way including sideways. There's some bend in our defending but not a lot of break and then getting it past Henrik is not an easy thing to do.

It's ironic that Girardi and Staal are always getting blasted for their possession numbers and their contracts but Girardi right now is tied for second place in the league in +/- and Staal isn't all that far behind. McDonagh's +14 is tied for first with John Klingberg. Girardi and Klein are both tied for second with a couple other players with +13's. Brassard is a +12. Zucc a +11. Staal is a +10.

When you take a look at the even strength goals for and against and throw in whatever shorthanded tallies against--the Rangers have scored 56 goals at even strength and given up only 28. Only McIlrath is a minus player this year with a -1 but he's only played 4 games.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Our shooting percentage isn't going to drop much if we keep generating quality looks. Nash had Rinne frozen last night in a situation where he has to cheat a little bit off the post to make sure he has a chance to make a save on a cross-seam one-timer, so Nash just rips it high short side. Staal megged someone to feed Stepan standing alone at the net mouth for a simple tap-in past Rinne.

Last night was all about how well we killed those penalties and capitalizing on the few chances we were able to generate

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Our shooting percentage isn't going to drop much if we keep generating quality looks. Nash had Rinne frozen last night in a situation where he has to cheat a little bit off the post to make sure he has a chance to make a save on a cross-seam one-timer, so Nash just rips it high short side. Staal megged someone to feed Stepan standing alone at the net mouth for a simple tap-in past Rinne.

Last night was all about how well we killed those penalties and capitalizing on the few chances we were able to generate

That whole shift was a display in fantastic passing.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Staal had a pretty good game last night. Really is such a shame about his injuries, he was on his way to becoming an elite defensive dman with some good offense. Thinking about what our d could have been like with injury free Staal and Sauer and keeping Stralman... Sighhhhhhh

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I came into this season pretty disinterested, to be honest. Going deep the past few years has made me realize that the first, I don't know, 60 games, are more about not screwing up than dominating.

Fair or not, the only thing that matters this year is the playoffs (and the stretch run to gear up for those playoffs). This hit me over the head this fall. I have no doubt, conscious or subconscious, it is in the minds of many of the players as well.

Not that it's necessarily a "good thing" but I wouldn't be so quick to overanalyze yet.

BarbaraAlphanse

This Rangers team reminds me of the Kings team that beat us 2 years ago. A clear deficiency in the top 6 heading into the trade deadline, and a less than complete defense. The Kings were above all resilient. A great goalie performance, a new found offensive game when one savvy buy low move to acquire Gaborik at the deadline put them over the top, and an understanding that not everyone on their defense was perfect and that they would need to over shift Doughty. They had several young guys, inconsistent, but offensively potent like Hayes and Miller. Seemingly, they'd either take a commanding lead early and coast the rest of the game, or would seem horribly overmatched in the first two periods (while somehow keeping a game close), only to crush the other team's soul and win in the 3rd.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

to play devils advocate, if you watch that Stepan Goal, Nashville's defense was in shambles on that play:

1) Hayes pulls the puck up to the top of the circle--I understand they're playing a man-man coverage in this specific spot, which is fine. Hayes makes a great pass, but watch what happens next:
fmS8PRp.png

2) Nashville's cheating with a high-placed "diamond" at this point, and Stepan is standing in the front of the net undefended
TQXr20f.png

3) This is Staal making the pass. Not a single Nashville defender has gotten back to defend stepan, which leaves him wide open for a pass. I'll give Staal credit for threading the needle, but given the lack of coverage, this is a VERY easy tap-in play.
PQZrCHG.png

Through all of this, someone is playing WAY too high in the zone where there's clearly a) no option up top for the Rangers, and b) a major lack of understanding that Nashville is requiring a need for defensive position.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
This Rangers team reminds me of the Kings team that beat us 2 years ago. A clear deficiency in the top 6 heading into the trade deadline, and a less than complete defense. The Kings were above all resilient. A great goalie performance, a new found offensive game when one savvy buy low move to acquire Gaborik at the deadline put them over the top, and an understanding that not everyone on their defense was perfect and that they would need to over shift Doughty. They had several young guys, inconsistent, but offensively potent like Hayes and Miller. Seemingly, they'd either take a commanding lead early and coast the rest of the game, or would seem horribly overmatched in the first two periods (while somehow keeping a game close), only to crush the other team's soul and win in the 3rd.

This team is obviously more seasoned than that team. I agree that the defensive deficiencies are still obvious, however like you said a low key move for a solid #2RW is what can put this team over the top.

Staal + Etem for Atkinson Please. Sign a stop gap or get Diaz up here... Staal's not proving he's worth that contract. Send him to a team where he can actually play. Reality is this is a business, and though he has a NMC, if he continues to play like crap, then he's going to be sent packing.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Okay I was wrong, we won. I can live with that.

Only saw the 3rd period, and was VERY impressed. We seemed to push the play, actually be the aggressor even though we had the lead. Maybe the Florida game lit a fire under their *****?

Judging by the other comments, I guess I didn't miss much by not watching the first 2 periods.

Either way, I wonder how many of you ranger fans have been around before the 04-05 lockout. Some of you are completely SPOILED, and are in for a rude awakening once we start the eventual decline. We're a good team. Enjoy it. It doesn't last forever (unless you're a patriots fan, in which case I hate you)

Yep. Those of us who have been fans since the dreaded dark ages can fully appreciate what we are seeing right now.

To give some perspective... we were the biggest joke in the NHL. We toiled in mediocrity, sacrificing our future year in and year out just to make the playoffs and never did. We were like Edmonton, always missing the playoffs but never had the excitement of getting a top 3 pick in hopes of saving the franchise.

It truly sucked.

BarbaraAlphanse

This team is obviously more seasoned than that team. I agree that the defensive deficiencies are still obvious, however like you said a low key move for a solid #2RW is what can put this team over the top.

Staal + Etem for Atkinson Please. Sign a stop gap or get Diaz up here... Staal's not proving he's worth that contract. Send him to a team where he can actually play. Reality is this is a business, and though he has a NMC, if he continues to play like crap, then he's going to be sent packing.

If Staal isn't traded, I imagine they'll be in the market of trading a 2+3 pick for a buy low guy.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

I think that would be a terrible move. While Staal may be struggling to start this year, he still holds value. Just because some of you don't think so, doesnt mean other GMs agree. Other GMs abd scouts certainly have not seen every one of our games and for them they can still see Staal as a top 4 defensive defenseman with a large frame and a long reach who has had past success against some of the best forwards in the East. Trading him for Cam Atkinson would be terrible asset management. Not to mention were just throwing in Etem who still hasnt gotten a fair shake here. The kid has talent.

Atkinson doesnt put us over the top. If we are going to trade pieces we better be getting someone that puts us over the top...otherwise i'd rather keep Staal for what would hopefully, eventually be a 5/6 role with less minutes. He would thrive in that role better for this team.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
This. ****ing this.
Yes but you also have to consider that if you were a fan during the Dark Ages, you probably were during 1994 as well, a lot of us weren't. Although I do see that it's not just the younger fans who look as this year as sort of Cup or bust.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
This whole "ranger fans are spoiled and they're winning a lot so there's nothing to complain about" meme got old last year and it's still old this year

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
What I can't figure out is if we'll continue playing like this and get our long overdue 10 game losing streak or start playing well and end up with the best record in NHL history.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yes but you also have to consider that if you were a fan during the Dark Ages, you probably were during 1994 as well, a lot of us weren't. Although I do see that it's not just the younger fans who look as this year as sort of Cup or bust.

I caught the tail end of it and didn't watch 94, or maybe I did but remember nothing of it. There are a lot of people in their late 20s early 30s that managed to be in the middle, part of the dark ages but too young to watch or appreciate 94. Not everyone is 18 or 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad