Nashville - is this a lottery team?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Preds seem to be at a crossroads. They haven’t committed to a rebuild but the roster doesn’t look like a playoff team. Their top 6 forwards are Forsberg, Granlund, Duchene, RyJo, Tolvanen & Kunin. Defense is super thin behind Josi & Ekholm.

what’s the plan here? Are they just holding on until Askarov arrives? Short of a bounceback season from several of their forwards that have been trending down the last years (Duchene, RyJo, Granlund, Tolvanen), it’s hard to see Nashville being a threat this year. Seems like a lottery team to me, but I’m curious what others think.

Weast

May 16, 2011
Yeah just with their top guns like Josi, Forsberg, and Duchene they definitely won't be a bottom 5 team, although it wouldn't surprise me if they miss the playoffs.

Reactions: Lolonegoal

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Personally, i think they'll go in with the mindset of replicating their 2nd half of last year, but ultimately it's not enough. They end up selling Forsberg & Ekholm at the TDL and enter the rebuild mode.

The division is vastly improved this year, and as long as the 16M duo down the middle can't even hit 50 pts, there's no shot.

Reactions: Lolonegoal

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't understand the mentality about "if the team is not a Cup contender, then what the heck are they even doing?"

They made the playoffs last year. They should be a better team this year. Division changes and a longer season may still mean they miss the playoffs. But the goal is still to make the playoffs. You don't have to be a lottery team to be building better and integrating young players into the lineup. The Preds ended up doing that quite successfully last season. Keep competing, try to make the playoffs. Gradually upgrade where possible if young players beat out incumbents. You don't have to tank down to top-5 draft picks. :dunno:

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
If Duchene and Johansen start playing like the low to mid 1cs they were than they could do more.

They have pieces it's up the pieces (players) to play well.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They need to make decisions on Forsberg and Ekholm. Can’t let them walk for nothing.

nothing is more infuriating to a fanbase than seeing ufas walk for nothing while you are not a contender.

canucks under Benning let Hamhuis walk, then went to make the playoffs then lost Tanev and Markstrom. And bled assets this summer to upgrade the roster.

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I think they're the 2nd worst team in the Central on paper. Unlike Arizina, however, I wouldn't be shocked to see them beat out a couple of teams and make the playoffs.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't understand the mentality about "if the team is not a Cup contender, then what the heck are they even doing?"

They made the playoffs last year. They should be a better team this year. Division changes and a longer season may still mean they miss the playoffs. But the goal is still to make the playoffs. You don't have to be a lottery team to be building better and integrating young players into the lineup. The Preds ended up doing that quite successfully last season. Keep competing, try to make the playoffs. Gradually upgrade where possible if young players beat out incumbents. You don't have to tank down to top-5 draft picks. :dunno:

No, but every team should have a vision.

Don’t see it with Nashville

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Depends on Juuse Saros.

Last year he singlehandedly carried them to a playoff spot.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Several teams made the playoffs last year that never should have in a normal season.

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
I think they surprise some people tbh, but their direction after this season hinges on what they decide to do with Ekholm and Forsberg

Bernie Federko

Jun 29, 2018
I kind of feel like you could say this about 24 teams. There's 4 or 5 teams at the top that are not going to miss and then there's 4 or 5 at the bottom that will not make it. The margins in the NHL are so thin, a couple of key injuries, a couple of guys with off years and there you are.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Their team on paper is not bad at all. If they could get some consistency with their forwards they are easily in the mix for the playoffs

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
They'll be in the mix for a wild card. Think Arizona & Anaheim will be the 2 worst teams by far. San Jose might surprise if they can get even average goaltending. They're my black sheep team in the West.

Nashville is in that level with Calgary, LAK, Seattle & Chicago. Some interesting parts, but will it all work over an 82 game season? :dunno:

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
There isn't much reason to believe in them making the playoffs. They can't win games on star power and they have too many flakey underachievers to be a really good grinding/defensive team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad