GDT: Nashville@ Columbus 5/5/21 The Final Countdown Edition

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Hynes is messing with the chemistry of this team by putting in Fabbro, Richardson, and Ellis has to sit!! He is god-awful! The team was playing just fine with the other players now with some getting healthy and back to playing, the old mistakes are creeping back in! That was frustrating to watch last night knowing a win against the worst team in our division and we are in. We seem to play down to the competition instead of playing up and better than.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Hynes is messing with the chemistry of this team by putting in Fabbro, Richardson, and Ellis has to sit!! He is god-awful! The team was playing just fine with the other players now with some getting healthy and back to playing, the old mistakes are creeping back in! That was frustrating to watch last night knowing a win against the worst team in our division and we are in. We seem to play down to the competition instead of playing up and better than.
I had no big issues with Fabbro's game last night. He had a couple of late reads and timing was a bit off some but overall average 1st game back.

I'd much rather Fabbro to Benning or Gudbranson (who should be a last resort, IMHO)

Reactions: bdub24

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I had no big issues with Fabbro's game last night. He had a couple of late reads and timing was a bit off some but overall average 1st game back.

I'd much rather Fabbro to Benning or Gudbranson (who should be a last resort, IMHO)
Yeah, Fabbro had a rusty/shaky start to the game but he settled in just fine as the game went on. People have got to get over the fact that they've watched every mistake the kid has made over his 100 games and tried to call him a bust every time.

I'm not as down on Gudbranson as you are but don't mind Harpur in over him.

Reactions: triggrman

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
The only thing I am talking about is chemistry. Fabbro may be alright but him and Harpur along with Ellis has made that D not look as good as it did before. That is all I am saying. I too thought Gudbranson played well and gave us some tough guy presence that we haven't had in a while. I guess Harpur does that too.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Some teams are more aggressive and physical than others. I kind of like Gudbranson against Tampa and Florida, those were some nastier games. The Columbus game was a big step down in intensity, I thought. Doesn't really hurt us to sit Gudbranson for somebody else in that game. But now we are basically faced with playing Carolina for the rest of the season... I haven't decided on them yet. I thought Gudbranson looked better than I expected last time against Carolina. I was worried about their speed. But he was fine. Well, no worse than all the rest of our guys against them anyway.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
Press are in with a Dallas Regulation loss in any of the next 3 games for them or Preds finding 2 points in any fashion. An OTL from Dallas and an OTL from Nashville also clinches it

Here's to the Bolts taking care of business tonight!

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Press are in with a Dallas Regulation loss in any of the next 3 games for them or Preds finding 2 points in any fashion. An OTL from Dallas and an OTL from Nashville also clinches it
Dallas has to have 5 out of a possible 6 points AND Preds to take 0 out of a possible 4. Or, they must have 6 out of 6 points AND the Preds to take 1 out of a possible 4. The Stars have a chance, but it is not exactly automatic.

But I keep hearing talking heads mentioning "Dallas has a game in hand" repeatedly. o_O

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Poile’s acquisition of Gudbranson is turning out to be a good rental player. For a guy who will probably play in 15 or so games he has been solid. Doing his job.
If we weren't already stuck with Borowiecki and Benning under contract for next year, I wouldn't be against bringing Gudbranson back if he was willing to sign cheap for a depth/spare role. But we just seem to have too many bodies on hand. Maybe if we deal Ellis and don't get another D back... ? :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If we weren't already stuck with Borowiecki and Benning under contract for next year, I wouldn't be against bringing Gudbranson back if he was willing to sign cheap for a depth/spare role. But we just seem to have too many bodies on hand. Maybe if we deal Ellis and don't get another D back... ? :dunno:
Benning would be easy to trade. Just toss Borocop on waivers and bury him in the minors

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Benning would be easy to trade. Just toss Borocop on waivers and bury him in the minors
Wasn't Borowiecki like our first signing in free agency? It seemed like someone in the org liked him enough to really go after him, but who knows.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
yeah, I wouldn't take a rostered D back in the deal.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Wouldn't bother trading Benning unless we get a decent return. He's the kind of guy you can toss in the pressbox and forget about until an injury comes up and he'll be ready to go. That's the perfect role for a 1M defenseman. Next season should be more normal so i wouldn't expect the taxi squad again. I wouldn't want a young player sitting in the pressbox

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wasn't Borowiecki like our first signing in free agency? It seemed like someone in the org liked him enough to really go after him, but who knows.
Heck, I was really hoping we'd sign him too! I thought that he was better and that we could use his toughness on our blueline. I thought it was a great signing. :(

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wouldn't bother trading Benning unless we get a decent return. He's the kind of guy you can toss in the pressbox and forget about until an injury comes up and he'll be ready to go. That's the perfect role for a 1M defenseman. Next season should be more normal so i wouldn't expect the taxi squad again. I wouldn't want a young player sitting in the pressbox
I mean, our default should be:
Josi-Fabbro
Ekholm-Carrier
Harpur-Ellis
Borowiecki-Benning

... assuming we are able to re-sign Harpur anyway. If we can additionally trade Ellis and Borowiecki, bonus. Benning would still have a spot. He's kind of like the good first year version of Irwin. Serviceable enough for his role and salary for next season. But in that scenario of moving Ellis and Borowiecki, we'd certainly have room to bring Gudbranson back too.

Last edited:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Dallas has to have 5 out of a possible 6 points AND Preds to take 0 out of a possible 4. Or, they must have 6 out of 6 points AND the Preds to take 1 out of a possible 4. The Stars have a chance, but it is not exactly automatic.

But I keep hearing talking heads mentioning "Dallas has a game in hand" repeatedly. o_O

Yeah, Anson Carter on NBC has been driving me crazy- Preds have a 94% chance to get the 4th slot, but every time they discuss it he is still clinging to "I really like the Stars chances".........LOL

Reactions: Kat Predator

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
It's one reason I am happy NBC is getting the boot. The amount of active cheering that goes on by their analysts is insane.
It's crazy that they use the local broadcast guys for national games. Hopefully that goes away, I'll be disappointed if we still have to hear Eddy O for Blackhawk games.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Win and we're in scenario Tomorrow, hate to say it for the 30th time this year but this game is huge if we don't clinch the playoffs you have to wonder why we didn't sell at the deadline when we were so far behind. Can't let this opportunity slip away, going to have to bring the A game and beat a team we haven't beaten this year.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Win and we're in scenario Tomorrow, hate to say it for the 30th time this year but this game is huge if we don't clinch the playoffs you have to wonder why we didn't sell at the deadline when we were so far behind. Can't let this opportunity slip away, going to have to bring the A game and beat a team we haven't beaten this year.
I wouldn't put it past Chicago to lose both those games. That would be typical.

So indeed we have to find a way to get a win from Carolina. I don't know how we manage that. But it's do or die.

I definitely won't wonder anything about the deadline or anything like that if we do end up missing the playoffs, though. It will still go down as quite a miraculous turnaround, and I think we really learned an awful lot about our team and players. That turnaround was invaluable. I wouldn't trade it for the dubious distinction of a 2nd round draft pick or whatever we might have gotten at the deadline instead. Just think of all the golden nuggets we got from this run. We saw Saros regain his #1 status emphatically. We saw some new guys step up and the Herd line emerge. And you know what, I think it was also valuable information to see that there wasn't any particular value added when guys like Duchene and Ellis came back in the lineup. The distinction on that might not have been so clear without the contrast provided by the turnaround.

Not folding up shop and selling at the deadline was 100% the right decision, really the only possible decision, and whether we finish 4th or 5th will not make one bit of difference in that regard.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I wouldn't put it past Chicago to lose both those games. That would be typical.

So indeed we have to find a way to get a win from Carolina. I don't know how we manage that. But it's do or die.

I definitely won't wonder anything about the deadline or anything like that if we do end up missing the playoffs, though. It will still go down as quite a miraculous turnaround, and I think we really learned an awful lot about our team and players. That turnaround was invaluable. I wouldn't trade it for the dubious distinction of a 2nd round draft pick or whatever we might have gotten at the deadline instead. Just think of all the golden nuggets we got from this run. We saw Saros regain his #1 status emphatically. We saw some new guys step up and the Herd line emerge. And you know what, I think it was also valuable information to see that there wasn't any particular value added when guys like Duchene and Ellis came back in the lineup. The distinction on that might not have been so clear without the contrast provided by the turnaround.

Not folding up shop and selling at the deadline was 100% the right decision, really the only possible decision, and whether we finish 4th or 5th will not make one bit of difference in that regard.
Great post. My response would have been much more condescending and had something to do with winning the trade deadline vs winning games. Vingananan (sp?) Stillman and the like can keep their bullshit trade deadline 4th round "lottery tickets" and I'll take this playoff push every - single - year rather than folding the tent.
I still think the Preds earn two points and stamp their own ticket. Let the fun begin!

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

Why would anyone wonder why the team didn't sell at the deadline when they were moving into contention and playing well to the point where they hold their own destiny heading into the final two games? The front office took the risk of falling short while actually doing the things that could lead to regular season success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad