Post-Game Talk: Nashville at Islanders 15 October 2015 - License To Ill

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Once again I am reminded why I hate this board when we lose. I guarantee you I hate losing as much as anyone on the planet, but jeez- are there any of our players who aren't being criticized on here tonight???

We played one of the best teams in the league, outshot them almost 2 to 1, fired 47 shots- and lost a 1 goal game. I get heat of the moment frustration, but man at the overreactions.

I actually feel better about us after this game than I did going in, despite the loss.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I was hoping PL would get the hint from the Watson goal that he should be paired with Hodgson and Bourque. While it was probably more of a fluke than anything I think Watson brings a lot more to the table and will bring some much needed size and a guy willing to go to the net on the third line. Jarnkrok probably had his best game tonight of the season but the kid is just a hair to slow to make a difference in this league. I wrote an article that should be up later tonight or tomorrow about Jarnkrok and as good as he looked tonight, he didn't make a difference any way we look at it.

Rinne worries me. When he's set he looks solid, when he starts to scramble he is unable to get back in to position quickly enough and in the right form. He has to stop the Kulemin goal.

Listening to Stu and Willie just irritates me more and more. When Cizakis took the tripping penalty you clearly see the stick hit Ellis's skate and he falls down yet Stu says there was no contact. He's a moron. The Okposo goal looked more like it went under Rinne's glove but he said it went above it. That one I wasn't sure of completely but I'm betting I saw it better than he did. These two absolutely suck as announcers and need to be replaced.

One big thing we have to remember, if you outshoot your opponent like we did in the first and only lead 1-0, we will more than likely lose. We have to bury chances and put the Islanders away when we have the chance. I've seen this happen too many times over the years and if you let a team stay in the game after you dominate, you probably won't close them out and they will come back. We have to find a way to bury more chances and we certainly can't give up the first goal to them after we just go up 2-0. Elite teams know how to finish their opponent. We aren't there just yet.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Feel bad for Jones. He had a really good season building, I thought..and I am not his biggest supporter. Obviously one bad turnover doesn't erase everything good he is doing this year, but people seem to be looking for anything negative to latch onto and harp on. I am guilty of it, having made comments about his lack of good decision making. It just hadn't been the case this year, up to this game. Chalking his turnover to bad luck rather than still learning, or bad decision making. Shake it off boyos. Get north and beat the Canadian team.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
This is a make up game. I don't care which of the first 3 you want to choose but we could've lost any of those, especially in New Jersey. We played really well tonight in my opinion but a few breaks didn't go our way and that's what happens sometimes. If we play like we did tonight more often than not I think we're in good shape.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Feel bad for Jones. He had a really good season building, I thought..and I am not his biggest supporter. Obviously one bad turnover doesn't erase everything good he is doing this year, but people seem to be looking for anything negative to latch onto and harp on. I am guilty of it, having made comments about his lack of good decision making. It just hadn't been the case this year, up to this game. Chalking his turnover to bad luck rather than still learning, or bad decision making. Shake it off boyos. Get north and beat the Canadian team.

Exactly- he is off to a fantastic start, and yet still the first mistake he makes, people on here are still waiting to pounch- "there is the mistake", etc, etc, etc.

The fact that that turned into a goal is just bad luck, pass off a skate and leads directly to a primo scoring chance- he really has had some terrible luck the last couple of years in that respect.....

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Good game guys. Don't be down after this loss, you had the better team tonight and just didn't get the bounces.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Once again I am reminded why I hate this board when we lose. I guarantee you I hate losing as much as anyone on the planet, but jeez- are there any of our players who aren't being criticized on here tonight???

We played one of the best teams in the league, outshot them almost 2 to 1, fired 47 shots- and lost a 1 goal game. I get heat of the moment frustration, but man at the overreactions.

I actually feel better about us after this game than I did going in, despite the loss.
Want to have them all, but I will never complain about 6 of 8 points, regardless of who we play or how we looked in the process.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

I think he came back after that mistake, bad luck really, and played a really great game. I noticed he had several strong plays the next shift after it, which is a great sign for a player as young as him.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
If people are going on jump on Jones for one mistake then they better be all over Forsberg for his sloppy play with the puck all season. Of the two Forsberg has turned the puck over way more than Jones has. Difference is the one mistake Jones makes ends up in the back of the net and everyone is up in arms.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
It's not so much that we lost that irritates, but how we lost.

Giving up 4 unanswered goals while coughing up a 2 goal lead against a 3rd string goaltender shouldn't exempt anyone from criticism.

That said, this game was clearly the best effort game of the season. Let's see if we can carry it on to Ottawa.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
If people are going on jump on Jones for one mistake then they better be all over Forsberg for his sloppy play with the puck all season. Of the two Forsberg has turned the puck over way more than Jones has. Difference is the one mistake Jones makes ends up in the back of the net and everyone is up in arms.
That's how it always is it seems.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
i was at the game last night, one of those games you feel like you just got completely outplayed, but a few more pucks happened to go in for us. Not one of those gung-ho feelings you usually get after a victory

you guys have a solid team best of luck this year

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Ellis and Ekholm were by far the weakest pairing of the night.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Isles fan here. The difference is Nash won this game tonight by a WIDE margin, the scoresheet just didn't show it. It was like watching an open hockey; there were stretches of like 5-7 minutes where the Isles were penned in their zone and could not get out, like a bunch of 40-year old beginners against kids in major juniors.

Pekka let in a couple of softies, and you guys hit the post/were unlucky on some of your shots, otherwise we lose 8-2 which is what the score should have been. My boy Shea was kind of quiet tonight, normally he has more of an impact.

Also seeing SJ was a gift, he makes some mistakes sure but what he brings from the backline is unique, he is an immense talent. Give him some more time to develop, your coach knows how to develop players like Jones.

Your positives from this game:

1) your team is clearly one of the league's best and it showed

2) unlike the Isles you have a real coach, I've no doubt that capuano will claim how "great" the isles played when they were the luckiest team on earth and should have been blown out.

Sometimes the puck bounces your way, and sometimes not. We should have lost; I'm probably angrier over winning this game due to their awful play/lack of hustle than you guys for losing on the score sheet.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Thanks for all the kind words Isle fans.

Like someone above said, this was our best effort but things didn't go our way. If Fisher's shot goes in instead hitting the crossbar, had we stopped one of those goals, had we not used our timeout and immediately lose moment thanks to that glass they had to fix, it's a different game.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
That's how it always is it seems.

Forward makes a mistake, some people notice. Defenseman makes a mistake, alot of people notice. Goalie makes a mistake, it's in the back of the net.

FF will make mistakes when using his skill. What's good is that he balances it out by being able to produce takeaways on the other end. (9TK / 4GV) Not to mention he has a defenseman and goalie behind him. It's all about acceptable risk at your given position.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
people get all upset if you say that a larger percentage of jones mistakes wind up in the back of the net.

it's simple really, your puck moving defensemen are guys out on an island. normlally the last man back. their turnovers tend to be more critical than others, and result in more easy goals against. for us, that's primarily josi, ellis and jones. their mistakes are amplified.

it's simple really, in the past, jones has made more of those puckhandling mistakes more often than josi and ellis. at the blueline, jones failure to hold the puck in has led to more mistakes and breakaways than our other defensemen because jones tends to try to play most every puck with his stick instead of taking a more conservative approach of making sure he blocks the puck with the body. he's sometimes overly aggressive trying to make a play instead of stopping the bouncing or hard point pass. most all of that is because of inexperience and youth. but it's been an accurate observation for the past two years, more of jones mistakes wind up in the back of the net because he's made more mistakes.

he's showing much improvement here. maturing.

his 'decision making' mistakes are almost always when his first option was not there and carelessly attempted his the second option without rechecking.

but this is the price that has to be paid for a 21 year old defensemen playing high quality 20 minute nights in this league. painful, but necessary if he's going to be what we want him to be at 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad