Pre-Game Talk: Nashville again?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
We're loading up McDrai again when they are shit with own zone responsibility playing together. wtf.

Rook pairing again. lolol.

Please come on down Trotz.
Lowetide ran some numbers today in his column, and Drai and Connor solo this year have sucked compared to the first 30 games last year when Woody took over. He's got to figure out why and get their own lines going again, but at this point he's just playing the odds of what works, desperate for a win.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Devin Shore still in the lineup = SIGH
Janmark in the top 6 = SIGH
Move Kostin up the top 6 and try him instead.
Same f***ing lineup as last game is zzzzz
I was thinking about the Kostin thing a bit too at least something to experiment with The odd shift. Give him samples and see what works. Nuge is very adaptable to playing with different players as well and Nuge plays bigger himself when he has a truck on his line. Kostin can fly though and shoot the puck. It seems like it could work. Haven't had enough view of Kostins all zone game yet and hard to get a read with him locked in cellar and playing limited minutes.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I was thinking about the Kostin thing a bit too at least something to experiment with The odd shift. Give him samples and see what works. Nuge is very adaptable to playing with different players as well and Nuge plays bigger himself when he has a truck on his line. Kostin can fly though and shoot the puck. It seems like it could work. Haven't had enough view of Kostins all zone game yet and hard to get a read with him locked in cellar and playing limited minutes.

Idk if it would work but its worth a shot with Kostin. Janmark hasn't shown much production whatsoever on the top 6.
Woody's inability to adapt is baffling when he was fine at it after he got brought up.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Lowetide ran some numbers today in his column, and Drai and Connor solo this year have sucked compared to the first 30 games last year when Woody took over. He's got to figure out why and get their own lines going again, but at this point he's just playing the odds of what works, desperate for a win.
I liked this because your right, not because I liked it! 😜 (you know what I mean, I hope).

If Woodcroft is asking players to get out of their comfort/traditional zones and do things differently to achieve different results(and he better be), then he godammned well better be asking the same of Manson, Gulutzan and Himself, especially, in their approach to coaching this show. Coaching “desperate for a single win” is so short sighted and counterproductive to what his role as a coach is.

Initially, last year I thought Jay and the coaching group he assembled was a big part of the answer to things, but it is becoming clearer that it’s not working. He’s either abandoned what worked on his initial step up to the big club or it was just a temporary coach bump and he’s over his head. I don’t know which it is. Talking a good game isn’t impressing anyone at this point.

Idk if it would work but its worth a shot with Kostin. Janmark hasn't shown much production whatsoever on the top 6.
Woody's inability to adapt is baffling when he was fine at it after he got brought up.
👍

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I liked this because your right, not because I liked it! 😜 (you know what I mean, I hope).

If Woodcroft is asking players to get out of their comfort/traditional zones and do things differently to achieve different results(and he better be), then he godammned well better be asking the same of Manson, Gulutzan and Himself, especially, in their approach to coaching this show. Coaching “desperate for a single win” is so short sighted and counterproductive to what his role as a coach is.

Initially, last year I thought Jay and the coaching group he assembled was a big part of the answer to things, but it is becoming clearer that it’s not working. He’s either abandoned what worked on his initial step up to the big club or it was just a temporary coach bump and he’s over his head. I don’t know which it is. Talking a good game isn’t impressing anyone at this point.

👍

He has abandoned what got him the wins last year. Different breakout resulting in a less effective forecheck and a different N zone setup. He is running the same program as Tippett whom he replaced. For some reason our coaches want to stretch the ice rather than break out as 5 men units and with our shitty D corps we are back to playing a 1-2-2 in the N zone vs the 1-1-3 that held the line.

Maybe someone wants "exciting hockey" but it is resulting in losing hockey.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
He has abandoned what got him the wins last year. Different breakout resulting in a less effective forecheck and a different N zone setup. He is running the same program as Tippett whom he replaced. For some reason our coaches want to stretch the ice rather than break out as 5 men units and with our shitty D corps we are back to playing a 1-2-2 in the N zone vs the 1-1-3 that held the line.

Maybe someone wants "exciting hockey" but it is resulting in losing hockey.

Would it be far-fetched to think there's some interference from the management regarding the way Woodcroft coaches?

Like we went from Dave Shitpett hockey to Derek Ryan praising the way the team has been under Woodcroft only to bounce back to Dave Shitpett type of hockey.

Reactions: Duke74

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Would it be far-fetched to think there's some interference from the management regarding the way Woodcroft coaches?

Like we went from Dave Shitpett hockey to Derek Ryan praising the way the team has been under Woodcroft only to bounce back to Dave Shitpett type of hockey.

This kind of thing was able to be confronted while we had alphas like Keith and Smith in the room looking over things and making sure everybody is OK and made to feel part of things. The presence of Keith and Smith helped mitigate the control McDrai tend to have on the whole team. Those were two vets that would raise issues like "Koskinen has to be made to feel part of the team" that McDrai learned from. Soon as Keith said it Drai was saying it later. It changed the play of Koskinen for a bit. We don't have that kind of player glue now, and Ryan in his limited role is only going to be bold enough to say something like that with those guys there. The cart has reverted back to this just being McDrai's team.

I'd really like Keith to actually be here. Even be in the bench and in the room. Something is wrong here again.

Last edited:

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
NHL schedule maker was pounding back the tequila the night he made the Oilers schedule.

Leon with 17 points.

Campbell is my guess as the starter with 16 goals against.

Bouchard and Nurse with 15 brutal giveaways.

We win by 1.
Looks like the league has done us a favour….when losing, give us a Preds game to bust the streak. Beating up on the Preds never gets old.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Looks like the league has done us a favour….when losing, give us a Preds game to bust the streak. Beating up on the Preds never gets old.

A bit worrisome hoping they don't take the preds lightly. As if it wasn't disgusting enough that they blew it last game against the f***ing Dallas Eakins coaching ducks out of all teams.

Also, where's the GDT?? 3 more hours until puck drop.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
This kind of thing was able to be confronted while we had alphas like Keith and Smith in the room looking over things and making sure everybody is OK and made to feel part of things. The presence of Keith and Smith helped mitigate the control McDrai tend to have on the whole team. Those were two vets that would raise issues like "Koskinen has to be made to feel part of the team" that McDrai learned from. Soon as Keith said it Drai was saying it later. It changed the play of Koskinen for a bit. We don't have that kind of player glue now, and Ryan in his limited role is only going to be bold enough to say something like that with those guys there. The cart has reverted back to this just being McDrai's team.

I'd really like Keith to actually be here. Even be in the bench and in the room. Something is wrong here again.
Hasn’t Keith been hired by the org? Maybe he needs to be in the room..

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

The Oilers really do need that Alpha-dog in the locker room.

That guy is Kane but he's rehabbing his wrist and we do not have another one. Nurse you would think would be that guy but he looks pretty sullen in his post game failure interviews when asked for the 10th time why he threw a puck away while doing his best Captain Morgan pose on the ice leaving the man who scored the game winning goal wide open in front of the net.

A bit worrisome hoping they don't take the preds lightly. As if it wasn't disgusting enough that they blew it last game against the f***ing Dallas Eakins coaching ducks out of all teams.

Also, where's the GDT?? 3 more hours until puck drop.

Another emergency GDT coming up....

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hasn’t Keith been hired by the org? Maybe he needs to be in the room..
Yes, he's in some kind of role but not on sight here afairc. Would like the team to give him more right here right now responsibility around the players. Maybe AC. My take is he couldn't possibly be worse than Woody and he probably has a lot better ideas of what works given his NHL resume. The guy should be a coach if he wants it. Right now it kind of seems he's an ambassador.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad