Proposal: Nash/Tor/Ott

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
From Toronto: Liljegren, Nylander, TOR 1st 2019
To Toronto: PK Subban

From Ottawa: EKarlsson (with extension, somehow)
To Ottawa: Liljegren, Fabbro, Trenin, Smith, NSH 1st 2019, TOR 1st 2019

From Nashville: PK Subban, Fabbro, Trenin, Smith, NSH 1st 2019
To Nashville, Nylander, EKarlsson

Ottawa's getting a giant slushpile of assets that may or may not be of interest. Might be more than they can hope for with Karlsson, but we'll see.

Toronto is paying ludicrous prices for Subban and I suspect they'd rather not.

Nashville is getting an incredible deal - immediate replacement of Subban and consolidating several marginal assets into another really high quality forward.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
From Toronto: Liljegren, Nylander, TOR 1st 2019
To Toronto: PK Subban

From Ottawa: EKarlsson (with extension, somehow)
To Ottawa: Liljegren, Fabbro, Trenin, Smith, NSH 1st 2019, TOR 1st 2019

From Nashville: PK Subban, Fabbro, Trenin, Smith, NSH 1st 2019
To Nashville, Nylander, EKarlsson

Ottawa's getting a giant slushpile of assets that may or may not be of interest. Might be more than they can hope for with Karlsson, but we'll see.

Toronto is paying ludicrous prices for Subban and I suspect they'd rather not.

Nashville is getting an incredible deal - immediate replacement of Subban and consolidating several marginal assets into another really high quality forward.
So subban isn't worth Nylander Liljegren and a 1st? Karlasson would bring back a lot of top prospects and picks for a rebuild

Reactions: Ookhaab

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Would be an idiotic move for the Leafs to move those young assets for a player, who while elite, doesn't fit ideally into our core and window (let alone the cap issues he'd present on his own, and with the lack of replenishable ELC assets we'd lose- because we'd trade them for said player in the first place).

I mean, that's a price you might consider if Subban was at a comparable level and a lot younger, not 7 years older than the best piece on our end (Nylander) and the extra's.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Why is Nashville necessary here? I'm sure Toronto could put together something equivalent to Fabbro + Smith + 1st in value without hurting the roster too much. Why not just deal that stuff to Ottawa for Karlsson?

Not that either deal would happen, but it's even dumber as a three-way.

Reactions: The Big D

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Why is Nashville necessary here? I'm sure Toronto could put together something equivalent to Fabbro + Smith + 1st in value without hurting the roster too much. Why not just deal that stuff to Ottawa for Karlsson?

Not that either deal would happen, but it's even dumber as a three-way.
Liljegren/Dermott + brown/Kap + 1st would be our comparable offer and I doubt that gets Ottawa’s attention.

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009
When you don't take age, cap hit or team control into consideration, and throw in a bunch of overly-optimistic homerism, that's how you end up with a proposal like this.

I mean, I love PK Subban. I've always been a big fan of him personally even when he was a Hab, and I think the Preds absolutely rinsed the Habs by acquiring him straight up for Webber.

But he's only under team control for four more years, three of those seasons will take place during his 30's, and he's not any kind of bargain when it comes to his cap hit. At $9M, he'll have a bigger cap hit than any other defenseman this coming season.

For that, the Leafs aren't going to give up a 22 year-old forward who's scored 20 goals and 60 points in each of his first two seasons, is under team control for between 4-8 more seasons (all eight of which will be in his prime/his 20's)---and then throw in their top prospect and a first round pick to boot.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
This is too much of a shake-up for Nashville IMO, and I'm not sure it's necessary. Karlsson will make more money than Subban and Fabbro combined, which means they probably won't have enough money for Ellis. So the Preds would basically give up their 3 RHDs for Karlsson.

Fabbro's situation is perfect with Subban's contract. If Fabbro signs next summer, that means his 3 ELC years will coincide with Subban's contract. Once Subban is a UFA, if he decides to sign elsewhere, Fabbro should be ready to replace him by then (to some extent).

Until then, the Preds can have Subban, Ellis and Fabbro as their 3 RHDs. That's amazing. I wouldn't touch that.

Reactions: Tex76

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I just love Nashville upgrades on Subban with the best dman in the league signed long-term and adds Nylander for only Fabbro, Trenin, Smith,2019 1st :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So subban isn't worth Nylander Liljegren and a 1st? Karlasson would bring back a lot of top prospects and picks for a rebuild
No. Nylander straight up doesn't work very well for either side (for contract and age reasons), and Liljegren as the add makes it kind of unreasonable for the Leafs. Throwing in the 1st on top of that makes it downright abusive.

While I don't think the Preds should trade Subban for anything less than something like that, that doesn't necessarily mean that's an achievable return. Rather, that's the sort of price one sets when one is not really willing to do business - and Toronto's confident enough in what they have that they'd much rather take that hint, and I think we're a good enough team with Subban that them taking the hint is better for Nashville.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
A top 5 player isn't getting traded for a couple firsts in the 25-30 range and a potential top 4 d-man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad