News Article: Nash on going back to Columbus, endorses McDonagh for Captain

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Are we saying that ^^ this kind of raw emotion makes for the best type of captain, though? Why can't a team be successful with a quieter, admittedly less rah-rah kind of guy?

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
CBJ currently have no C. Dubinsky was discussed by fans. My personal conclusion - he's too much of a hot head to wear the C.

That was my take when Dubinsky was here as well. I don't think that Callahan was that great of a captain either. I think Girardi would probably be the best choice for captain but I wouldn't be overly upset if it was Mcdonagh.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Are we saying that ^^ this kind of raw emotion makes for the best type of captain, though? Why can't a team be successful with a quieter, admittedly less rah-rah kind of guy?

Sure, I think if you have other guys in the locker room who are vocal and/or a coach who is a motivator, then a quieter type is fine. Scott Niedermayer and Joe Sakic were both considered quiet leaders.

However, if you have a team full of players that can't really self-motivate, then a quiet leader is not ideal. I think the Rangers generally perform better when they have someone to kick their butts into gear every now and then.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Am I the only one who thinks the captaincy is little more than some extra stitching on your jersey and the ability to talk to the referee?

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
Am I the only one who thinks the captaincy is little more than some extra stitching on your jersey and the ability to talk to the referee?

I think on a veteran team you are right. If you have a younger team having a veteran who can mentor players and show them the right way to do things is a lot more important.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

This is one of those topics where everyone has a different opinion, and all of those opinions are correct depending on the situation. In some team dynamics, the captaincy is exactly what you say here. You might have a whole team of guys moving in the same direction, with several guys taking the lead and the letters meaning little or nothing (I honestly think this was the case in 2011). Have a young team? Maybe a steady vet is the best option for a captain. A vet team? You might need a fiery guy to keep those vets from acting too complacent (paging Mr.'s Nash and Richards...).

Would Dubinsky make a good captain? Yes, he would on a team that needs a passionate guy to lead the way. Some rosters, he would be a detriment as a captain.

The C can mean a lot of things (or absolutely nothing). It's all situational.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This is one of those topics where everyone has a different opinion, and all of those opinions are correct depending on the situation. In some team dynamics, the captaincy is exactly what you say here. You might have a whole team of guys moving in the same direction, with several guys taking the lead and the letters meaning little or nothing (I honestly think this was the case in 2011). Have a young team? Maybe a steady vet is the best option for a captain. A vet team? You might need a fiery guy to keep those vets from acting too complacent (paging Mr.'s Nash and Richards...).

Would Dubinsky make a good captain? Yes, he would on a team that needs a passionate guy to lead the way. Some rosters, he would be a detriment as a captain.

The C can mean a lot of things (or absolutely nothing). It's all situational.

I agree, but I also think NY fans got spoiled by Messier in his first stint here.

He had the ability to singlehandedly change the demeanor and attitude of his teammates. Very very few athletes have that ability.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.

This is part of the reason why Dubinsky having the C would be a problem in my eyes. The C needs to be capable of being the voice of reason when the team is pissed off at the game circumstances. (just my opinion, of course). Last thing you need is an officiating group that hates your captain.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Being a captain on a small market team going no where for years on end is not the same as being captain on team in the biggest market in the world.

Does this really surprise people?

No distractions needed for this guy. Just focus on putting the puck in the net Rick.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Young captains get chosen around the league and do well enough. It's about the person not their age. Some people mature quickly. I personally don't care who they give it to, but if they think a young guy is ready to take it, I trust that.

Agreed. Granted we only have a tiny window into who these guys really are, everything I've read about and seen from McD suggests that he's a very mature guy who works real hard to be the best athlete he can be. I mean, look at his conditioning. He's had bad games and bad stretches for sure, but I can't recall even one game where I thought he looked like he was dogging it, or wasn't up to the physical challenge. He's a pretty big guy for his height, yet he skates so effortlessly. I'd imagine that takes a lot of work on both sides of the equation - in the weight room and on the ice.

I'm not set on anybody as the next captain really, as I don't know nearly enough about what goes on in the room, but I'd be happy with any of McD/Girardi/Staal. All 3 have stepped up for this team countless times. All 3 have been loyal to the organization. All 3 seem like smart, mature guys.

I don't think this team has that vocal leader that some people want. I don't think most teams do, frankly. Those type of personalities are rare in the world, even in a situation like this, where everyone has had to work hard for years and show extremely dedication just to get here. In lieu of that type of guy, pick someone with a good head on their shoulders, someone who can cool everyone off when they're too worked up and fire everyone up when they're too carless. Most importantly, pick someone who you know will never be caught giving less than 100% on the ice. I think any of those 3 d-men are more than capable of that.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Lidstrom captained the Red Wings...he never struck me as a guy who was rah rah.

one of the greatest players to play the game, and captained his team to a championship.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Lidstrom captained the Red Wings...he never struck me as a guy who was rah rah.

one of the greatest players to play the game, and captained his team to a championship.

Not to nit pick, but are we comparing Rick Nash to Nick Lindstrom? I'm not trashing Nash here, but the record is clear as to what the Jackets achieved during his captaincy.

He and the franchise would be far better served by him having a much narrower focus. Just score more goals and be a better all round player. There by making the players around him better performers in the bargain.

That's a great and much more suitable leadership role for him.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Seems to me like the most consistently good choice for captain is the best player on the team. Toews, Chara, Crosby, Lidstrom, Neidermeyer have all fit that description and won the cup recently. The most notable exception is Dustin Brown, but I'd say it's hardly a rule. Look around the league--most teams choose their best player to be their captain. That's why I think McDonagh would be the clear best choice, not because he has more or less of an off ice presence

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Nash isnt Messier. He's Mike Gartner.

Quiet, consistent every year, happy to show up to work but not a rah-rah get-on-my-back kind of player.

Mike Gartner had a reputation of a floater and a softy, and a guy who pulled a vanishing act every postseason. Great teammate, nice guy. Not a leader.

Nash is not a leader. Nothing wrong with that. He understands his role and he sticks to it.

IMHO, Rick Nash isn't worthy of carrying Gartner's jockstrap.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Wait... people are really talking about Nash as captain?

I would make Boyle the captain before Nash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad