News Article: Nash on going back to Columbus, endorses McDonagh for Captain

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Gartner wasnt clutch. he wasnt physical. He was traded twice in his prime for Dino Cicarelli and Ulf Dahlen -- see a pattern? Then Keenan traded him for Glenn Anderson.

Still dont see a pattern?

Gartner was traded for three grittier or clutch guys at three different trade deadlines.

He was an elite skater. Not an elite scorer. He was a stat compiler and that is a testament to his conditioning. He showed up to work better than most.

In the 1994 CF, Gartner had one assist in the five game loss to the Canucks. Anderson was a no-show the first three rounds, and scored two GWG in the SCF.

Gartner was a perimeter player who was not physical at all. Go to the History Board for a non-Ranger objective view for those who think otherwise.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I think he means that in New York you're expected to win the Stanley Cup every season whereas in Columbus they would probably be happy just to make the playoffs.

I think it's good that he feels the pressure on himself, no?

No, in New York you're expected to score more goals than Asham in the post season.

I think that is the pressure he is referring to :laugh:

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Because you can't take it off of Brad Richards chest till he's bought out.

I think Staal is going to be the C.

Would be weird for 3 of your 6 defenseman to be wearing letters though lol.

It also shows a problem with the forward core if there is truly no one competent enough to at least wear an "A"

Girardi, Staal and McDonagh could all have letters. I don't know how they are in the locker room, who gets the team pumped, etc. If I was coach, I wouldn't designate my entire leadership team to the defensive core though. But in reality, does it matter who wears a letter? Players who are truly leaders will still step up when the occasion arises. You don't need a letter on your chest to lift the spirit of the team or lead by example.

I'd honestly choose who ever displayed the most leadership in the locker room, and led by example on the ice as the captain. Not just the best player (McDonagh, as of right now).

I wouldn't mind seeing Girardi/Staal with the "C" though. They've put in more time with the organization with McDonagh and are both core pieces of the team. I'm sure both are more than competent in a leadership role (both lead by example with their play on the ice).

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Gartner wasnt clutch. he wasnt physical. He was traded twice in his prime for Dino Cicarelli and Ulf Dahlen -- see a pattern? Then Keenan traded him for Glenn Anderson.

Still dont see a pattern?

Gartner was traded for three grittier or clutch guys at three different trade deadlines.

He was an elite skater. Not an elite scorer. He was a stat compiler and that is a testament to his conditioning. He showed up to work better than most.

In the 1994 CF, Gartner had one assist in the five game loss to the Canucks. Anderson was a no-show the first three rounds, and scored two GWG in the SCF.

Gartner was a perimeter player who was not physical at all. Go to the History Board for a non-Ranger objective view for those who think otherwise.

The above bold is how I remember Gartner. I remember him scoring some big goals in his career & as a Ranger. I remember being very annoyed that he was traded in 94' & thinking that this trade could come back & bite Smith in the butt.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Said this in another thread. and I'll repeat it here.

If he's not going to score goals, he should at least keep his mouth shut. Such a stupid thing for him to do. It can only hurt in the locker room. Girardi and Staal don't seem like the types of players to get upset over this, but I could see other potential future captains getting upset that one of their teammates singled someone out to be captain and it wasn't them. The best thing for the players to do is keep their mouths shut on a controversial topic like this.

If McDonagh is the next captain, I'll have no problem with that. The only thing we should hear about this in the media is the eventual announcement from Sather when they make their choice. Its a touchy subject. Its really stupid for the players to be talking about it publicly.

Players really care about the captaincy. Whoever doesn't get it is going to care, and its going to hurt. I just don't think its smart for a player to endorse one teammate over another, especially when there isn't a no-brainer choice.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Said this in another thread. and I'll repeat it here.

If he's not going to score goals, he should at least keep his mouth shut. Such a stupid thing for him to do. It can only hurt in the locker room. Girardi and Staal don't seem like the types of players to get upset over this, but I could see other potential future captains getting upset that one of their teammates singled someone out to be captain and it wasn't them. The best thing for the players to do is keep their mouths shut on a controversial topic like this.

If McDonagh is the next captain, I'll have no problem with that. The only thing we should hear about this in the media is the eventual announcement from Sather when they make their choice. Its a touchy subject. Its really stupid for the players to be talking about it publicly.

Players really care about the captaincy. Whoever doesn't get it is going to care, and its going to hurt. I just don't think its smart for a player to endorse one teammate over another, especially when there isn't a no-brainer choice.

Despite recent struggles, Nash is still leading the team in goals.

I think his comments here are just a testament to how much he respects McDonagh and the two veterans (Richards and St. Louis) too.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I am a firm believer in not rushing captain labels on these young guys. McD and Step will have their time. Staal or Girardi should be the next captain, with presumable MSL as the other A.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I am a firm believer in not rushing captain labels on these young guys. McD and Step will have their time. Staal or Girardi should be the next captain, with presumable MSL as the other A.
Are we really rushing it with McD, though? He is by far our best skater (even with MSL when he is doing what does) and one of the best players in the league. Also, our star forward just endorsed him as captain. He seems ready to me.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Are we really rushing it with McD, though? He is by far our best skater (even with MSL when he is doing what does) and one of the best players in the league. Also, our star forward just endorsed him as captain. He seems ready to me.

I think giving him the C would be rushing him. Giving him the A wouldn't. I'm more conservative than most, so I'd even hold off on the A.

McD isn't a rah-rah guy - not saying that you need to be one to be a great captain - but I worry about the C affecting him like it affected Leetch. Let's ease him into the responsibility.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I think giving him the C would be rushing him. Giving him the A wouldn't. I'm more conservative than most, so I'd even hold off on the A.

McD isn't a rah-rah guy - not saying that you need to be one to be a great captain - but I worry about the C affecting him like it affected Leetch. Let's ease him into the responsibility.

Personally, I think he's the kind of player who would grab the C by the horns and take his game to another level.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Personally, I think he's the kind of player who would grab the C by the horns and take his game to another level.

I disagree. I think McD should EVENTUALLY get it, but it's probably too early right now as he really doesn't seem like a vocal guy. IMO a Captain should be at least somewhat vocal and a verbal motivator.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Young captains get chosen around the league and do well enough. It's about the person not their age. Some people mature quickly. I personally don't care who they give it to, but if they think a young guy is ready to take it, I trust that.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I disagree. I think McD should EVENTUALLY get it, but it's probably too early right now as he really doesn't seem like a vocal guy. IMO a Captain should be at least somewhat vocal and a verbal motivator.

If that's the rationale and requirement for a captain, then Dubinsky should have been the previous captain.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Nash bleeds blue and gives it his all here every night. I think he should be captain.

That would be a mistake imo.

I love the guy, great human being, and an outstanding player. Quiet, stoic, hard working, great team mate.

But he would not make a good Capt. He's too nice. Messier was a mean sob.

McDunna with Fries

Apr 9, 2012
McD is my favorite ranger and has been since his rookie year. So if he becomes captain, then that's great. My only concern is that he is another quiet, lead by example type of guy. Didn't Richie say that there were issues with Cally's leadership because he led by example? That it was the more vocal and experienced guys that were the locker room leaders that "said what had to be said?" I don't see McD being the guy to speak out to do that, he's the more reserved type that says all the right things to the media and stays quiet.

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013

So why is Staal a front runner then? He reminds me a heck of a lot more of Leetch than McD does. TBH IS there really a rah rah kind of guy on this team?

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I am really not seeing any vocal, fiery, "rally the troops" leaders in the locker room right now. Maybe Boyle, but I doubt he'll even get a letter and he could be gone this summer.

The team will probably be forced to go with another quiet, lead by example type because they have no other option.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I think the letters get blown out of proportion. Everyone knows this is Lundqvist's team. Not traditional but then again, its the Rangers. C-Lundqvist/A-Stepan/A-McDonagh

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad