Proposal: Nash-NyI

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
First of all if Tavares signs there will no doubt be some sort of trade clause where he will at least have the right to turn down a trade with a particular team.

If he is emphasizing he wants to be with a ‘winner’ you can bet he is going to want to determine which team he goes to.

I think you all are missing my point. If Tavares wants an 8 year deal the only way he can do it is if he signs with the Islanders before July 1. Basically if Tavares really wants an 8 year deal and the Islanders are willing to oblige, the Islanders could sign him and trade him to a team of his choice.

Now chances are Tavares probably will just sing a 7 year deal but their is a chance his agent could talk him into talking an 8 year deal in which case the Islanders would have to get involved.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
I am sure the Islanders might trade JT for either pre July 1st negotiating rights or a possible sign and trade but if you are expecting to get back value along the lines of Kyle Turris I think you are going to be very disappointed with what they get for him.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
not really. i wouldnt wa
I am sure the Islanders might trade JT for either pre July 1st negotiating rights or a possible sign and trade but if you are expecting to get back value along the lines of Kyle Turris I think you are going to be very disappointed with what they get for him.
not at all

I think Tavares is better than Turris, thats who we plan to sign

If we dont I think St Louis wold be very interested

Isee no reason to want Kyle Turris at all. his disappearing act in the playoffs makes him a very expensive and unwanted commodity

we've spent years catering to tavares. if he walks then as far as im concerned he has been nothing like his uncle, who had the courae to stay with one team his entire career. the team has been loyal to him, now its his turn to be loyal. if he lets his fiance decide his future then eventually he will come to regret it

Last edited:

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
not really. i wouldnt wa

not at all

I think Tavares is better than Turris, thats who we plan to sign

If we dont I think St Louis wold be very interested

Isee no reason to want Kyle Turris at all. his disappearing act in the playoffs makes him a very expensive and unwanted commodity

Understood if you don’t want Turris, remember I didn’t propose this. Basically saying I don’t see the Islanders getting a top 6 forward, top 4 defenseman or a 1st round pick for JT at this point.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I think you all are missing my point. If Tavares wants an 8 year deal the only way he can do it is if he signs with the Islanders before July 1. Basically if Tavares really wants an 8 year deal and the Islanders are willing to oblige, the Islanders could sign him and trade him to a team of his choice.

Now chances are Tavares probably will just sing a 7 year deal but their is a chance his agent could talk him into talking an 8 year deal in which case the Islanders would have to get involved.

If the Isles pull off this kind of deal, two things will happen:

1. They won't need to trade a 1st to faciliate it
2. They'll get a better player than Turris

It essentially will need to be another team sacrificing a #2C contract, and likely one that makes a fair bit of AAV, to get the deal done.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Understood if you don’t want Turris, remember I didn’t propose this. Basically saying I don’t see the Islanders getting a top 6 forward, top 4 defenseman or a 1st round pick for JT at this point.
we made a choice to be loyal to Our captain. the rest is on him. if he goes, we'll get nothing, and thats ok. Tavares will have to live with his decision....he'll also be proven false to all he's said for 9 years. I wouldnt want to be him if he lets his fiance change his morality

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If the Isles pull off this kind of deal, two things will happen:

1. They won't need to trade a 1st to faciliate it
2. They'll get a better player than Turris

It essentially will need to be another team sacrificing a #2C contract, and likely one that makes a fair bit of AAV, to get the deal done.

Question is what do you think Turris is worth?

A signed Tavares to me at most is worth a late first(and this is a huge IF, but if the team really needs us to give him that 8 year deal) so basically I am valuing Turris at the 12th pick + a very late first

Option 2 would be just accept Nashville's 2019 first and they can decide what to do with Turris(or Bonino). Once again this is dependent on Tavares really wanting that 8th year and this being the only option for Nashville

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Question is what do you think Turris is worth?

A signed Tavares to me at most is worth a late first(and this is a huge IF, but if the team really needs us to give him that 8 year deal) so basically I am valuing Turris at the 12th pick + a very late first

Option 2 would be just accept Nashville's 2019 first and they can decide what to do with Turris(or Bonino). Once again this is dependent on Tavares really wanting that 8th year and this being the only option for Nashville

I'd rather have Velano/Hayton/Kotkaniemi at 12th overall under ELC contract than Turris. Replacing Tavares with Turris does not turn the Islanders into contenders. There's no quick fix solution to this problem, and the answer is not trading high 1st round picks for veteran, expensive #2Cs.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I'd rather have Velano/Hayton/Kotkaniemi at 12th overall under ELC contract than Turris. Replacing Tavares with Turris does not turn the Islanders into contenders. There's no quick fix solution to this problem, and the answer is not trading high 1st round picks for veteran, expensive #2Cs.
exactly

to me Turris is worth nothing to us, all he is is 6M in wasted cap space

wearent winning anything if tavares leaves, why help him get to a team that he wants to go to by opening up cap space for him

if we arent gaining long term by working with a team. why do it

Turris has a high dollar long term deal they have a few of them. why help solve their problems just so they can steal Tavares away.?

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The isles made their choice to keep Tavares at the TDL,let Ledecky and Malkin continue to woo him.
Unless Tavares comes out before July 1st and says he is leaving, Isles will not trade him.
So, since I don't expect s trade, I do not expect to be disappointed in any return.

Reactions: Klaus3154

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
While they can't do a trade and sign, they can do a sign and trade before July 1.

As an Islanders fan I would do Signed Tavares + 12th overall for Turris.

While I think a signed Tavares has value it's less then Turris AND Smith

Yepppp, you're gonna wanna rethink that one...

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
exactly

to me Turris is worth nothing to us, all he is is 6M in wasted cap space

wearent winning anything if tavares leaves, why help him get to a team that he wants to go to by opening up cap space for him

if we arent gaining long term by working with a team. why do it

Turris has a high dollar long term deal they have a few of them. why help solve their problems just so they can steal Tavares away.?
I wouldnt say Turris is a wasted 6 million. He might of been snake bit in the playoffs but he had an alright regular season worthy of a second line centers salary which is around or about 6 million.
But I do get the whole not helping the team get more cap space to sign Tavares. I was just saying getting someone who plays 2c and a decent winger for him instead nothing might soften the blow. Nashville only has to trade a center to get Tavares to take their spot. If the cap goes up to 80 mil like projected. Nashville will have 15 in space with only Saros and Hartman to sign and they won’t sign for much. So Nashville could sign him regardless if they want with not getting rid of no one.
My guess would be he stays with you guys but it’s fun making conversation about him until he signs

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Why would Nashville trade valuable pieces to get something they could get for free in July? If anything, sign Tavares and then deal Turris and/or Smith for upgrades if Poile sees fit.
I don't know what steps lead to this scenario, but in a vacuum... if I can have Tavares today and know he's going to sign with us for $10.5M aav long-term, I am going to say "DONE!" to trading Turris and Smith for that guarantee. It's cap-neutral to the Preds and we can then go out and spend our current $10M cap space to replace Smith.

(But of course, if for some reason we have the idea that Tavares is inclined to sign with us anyway, ok, that'd be great and we could avoid making a trade. Just I don't have any reason to believe we're that much of a front-runner. However, in the trade-and-sign scenario you have to know he'll sign though which already implies front-runner status, so, true, it's hard to see how the trade scenario arises, practically speaking.)

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I can't really see any of this type of stuff happening. No sign and trade. No getting big contracts or established players in return.

The way things have gone, I'm fully expecting one of two courses of action from JT and Brisson:
1) He's an upstanding guy and let's the Isles know by June 15th that he is hitting the UFA market, no matter WHAT the Isles offer.
2) He makes use of his 100% right to listen to any and all NYI offers, respond to none of them, then hit the UFA market having let the NYI know that he's still considering their offers.

Thus, the entire onus is on management.

If this management's CHIEF concern was putting the club on the path to winning a championship, the current situation would not exist, because JT's party would have been informed last July 1st that it is on the clock. It would have received an offer, told it's negotiable, but tagged with a deadline for a "YES" or "NO", with no answer = "Not ready to resign".

Instead, the club went from decision maker to gambler and is now sitting around powerless to do more than make offers.
JT doesn't even owe it to the team to respond or actually negotiate. We can only HOPE that his character gives the team options.

What I find particularly disparaging is that Tavares was, or is, a HUGE asset! This management decided not to treat him as such. I thought, for example, that Winnipeg would have been a wonderful destination for him at the trade deadline, a place where he could have played for a cup and a team that is full of prospect riches, which could have paid the NYI very fairly, if not handsomely. Heck, such a move wouldn't have even had to meant that JT wouldn't resign with the NYI.

JT wasn't available, so Winnipeg grabbed Stastny instead. Hasn't been a bad move for Winnipeg.

Stastny is a class below Tavares and it still gave St. Louis 1st rounder, conditional 4th rounder (2020), and Providence forward Erik Foley.

What could Tavares have raked in?

Now NYI management has little wiggle room. Even if JT says "Not resigning. Am hitting the market." in a timely manner, what kind of conditional draft picks can Snow pick up just for his rights to negotiate? And if JT wants to test the market, why do a sign and trade??? He has no motivation for that.

Fans in Islanderville have ALL agreed that about the worst possible scenario is that Tavares simply walks. No compensation. No answer as to how to fill that void. Just plain walks into the sunset and the NYI have to create another plan.

Actually, that scenario could be made even worse if it sets in AND Garth Snow keeps his job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad