Proposal: Nash-Minn

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Ok, but why? Spurgeon is pretty good, but even smaller? Ellis is already part of the team chemistry. I guess you are thinking the Preds just can't get him signed without a trade, so will take 2yrs of Spurgeon vs. 1 year of Ellis?

And Meanwhile Minny can't get Zucker signed either so they swap him out for what may be a slight downgrade but in an already-signed format?

I think I need to see what the Ellis and Zucker contract specifics are here. Otherwise I don't see a point in doing this, and certainly wouldn't be inclined to throw in a 2nd round pick as part of it?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
None lol what else would they want.

I have no interest in Smith from a Minnesota point of view. Ellis just complicates things unnecessarily. Incentive to trade with Nashville would be Fiala, but I’m gonna take a leap here and assume Nashville doesn’t want to trade him, especially within division.

It’s just a whole lot of “why tho” with any trade between these two teams. They both have extremely similar strengths and weaknesses.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Ok, but why? Spurgeon is pretty good, but even smaller? Ellis is already part of the team chemistry. I guess you are thinking the Preds just can't get him signed without a trade, so will take 2yrs of Spurgeon vs. 1 year of Ellis?

And Meanwhile Minny can't get Zucker signed either so they swap him out for what may be a slight downgrade but in an already-signed format?

I think I need to see what the Ellis and Zucker contract specifics are here. Otherwise I don't see a point in doing this, and certainly wouldn't be inclined to throw in a 2nd round pick as part of it?
Hey lol thats exactly what i was thinking and when spurgeon's contract runs out it will be expansion draft time and we can go 7-3-1. And I like zuckers game. He would give us the net presence we need... no offense to smith, he's a constant 20 goal scorer I just think it's upgrades our top 6

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Exactly what inventive does Minnesota have to do this?

-Save some cap (a lot this year, a little bit next year assuming Ellis doesn't break the bank).
-Swap a lefty forward for a righty forward (to balance things out) without getting a whole heck of a lot older (although Smith's numbers are weirdly all over the board; not sure what kind of player we'd be getting in return).
-Pick up an additional asset (2019 1st).
-Qualifies as a "tweak".

Not saying I'd do it, but that could be some of the rationale.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
-Save some cap (a lot this year, a little bit next year assuming Ellis doesn't break the bank).
-Swap a lefty forward for a righty forward (to balance things out) without getting a whole heck of a lot older (although Smith's numbers are weirdly all over the board; not sure what kind of player we'd be getting in return).
-Qualifies as a "tweak".

Those reasons make sense.

It’s funny, when I came into the thread the pick was a 3rd, then it turned into a 2nd, now I’m surprised to see it’s a 1st.

Anyway, this definitely qualifies as a tweak.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
They gave up a 1st for Hartman he was a clear cut upgrade on who?

We essentially traded this year's first for a ripe '13 1st that would have a shot at impacting our team for the playoffs.

Hate it in the hindsight all you want, but I could see the reasoning with him coming off a 19 goal season.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
We essentially traded this year's first for a ripe '13 1st that would have a shot at impacting our team for the playoffs.

Hate it in the hindsight all you want, but I could see the reasoning with him coming off a 19 goal season.
I don't hate the Hartman trade I'm just making the point that we traded a first to upgrade our bottom six and you're good with it but giving up a first upgrading our top 6 is not a good idea to you?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, Smith is 2 1/2 years older Zucker, who just had a great year. I guess the 1st makes up for it, but it will likely be a really late first, so it's not like the Wild are getting something really precious.
I know Nashville really likes Ellis, but we REALLY like Spurgeon, and he doesn't have a mountain man beard...mainly because he doesn't shave yet, but that's another story..

All in all, this proposal is upsetting. I really don't want to play against either Zucker's speed or Spurgeon's all round skill. Don't see that Ellis or Smith, or the very late 1st does anything for exciting for MN.

Pass.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Yeah, I get why the Preds do this but I cannot for the life of me understand why the Wild do. Ellis and Smith are good but I’d much rather keep Spurgeon and Zucker. The first is what... 25-30 at best - which we all know the Wild will piss away anyway. Hard pass

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Spurgeon is better than Ellis, Zucker is much better than Smith. A late 1st really doesn't change things much.
I think Ellis and spurgeon is a wash for me. At that point the trade just becomes Zucker for smith and a 1st. If Nashville was in the east, I’d be intrigued. Instead we play them 5 times a year.

It’s a pass from me. I hate how slow we already are, don’t wanna trade Zucker.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
I think Ellis and spurgeon is a wash for me. At that point the trade just becomes Zucker for smith and a 1st. If Nashville was in the east, I’d be intrigued. Instead we play them 5 times a year.

It’s a pass from me. I hate how slow we already are, don’t wanna trade Zucker.
I can’t remember the exact stat- but when Ellis came back, he was scoring almost as many points as Karlsson did. I think he was the 3rd best defenseman in the league after he came back from injury. You’re really underselling Ellis here.. dude is a stud.

Smith is really fast. We call him “crazy legs” here. Zucker has the net-front presence we lack, that’s why we want him. You wouldn’t be losing any speed except on the backend, but I promise you Ellis has the better shot and hockey IQ over Spurgeon.

I will say though, I do like Spurgeon and Zucker. This deal truly isn’t bad. I wouldn’t really wanna give up yet another 1st, so maybe bump it to a 2nd.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
-Qualifies as a "tweak".

I'll add Fenton's familiarity with Ellis and Smith vs Spurgeon and Zucker as well, which does seem to factor into acquisitions sometimes.

It's not a bad proposal, but I have to agree with everyone else that both teams probably keep their guys.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I can’t remember the exact stat- but when Ellis came back, he was scoring almost as many points as Karlsson did. I think he was the 3rd best defenseman in the league after he came back from injury. You’re really underselling Ellis here.. dude is a stud.

Smith is really fast. We call him “crazy legs” here. Zucker has the net-front presence we lack, that’s why we want him. You wouldn’t be losing any speed except on the backend, but I promise you Ellis has the better shot and hockey IQ over Spurgeon.

I will say though, I do like Spurgeon and Zucker. This deal truly isn’t bad. I wouldn’t really wanna give up yet another 1st, so maybe bump it to a 2nd.
Nope. Spurgeon’s hockey IQ is top of the line across the league. Also funny that you say they undersell Ellis and then you completely oversell him.

Reactions: 57special

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad