GDT: nascar5

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Haven't read all the pages in this GDT, but for the interference call, it seemed borderline at best...when I first saw it, my guess was it would stay a goal since that was the call on the ice and it wasn't blatant (as in Foegele didn't intentionally/sigificantly impede Saros...obvious main impediment was Josi). I was surprised by the call but what really caught my attention was the lock-step agreement by the talking heads that is was clear interference...normally they'll give both perspectives on a call that close. Makes me wonder if my understanding of the rule is antiquated. The interference call in the Vegas/MN series made no sense to me either.

Also, did anyone else get pick up a less than friendly vibe from Forslund wrt the Canes/Canes Fans? One time when the crowd was booing Haula he made a comment something like "and the Canes fans boo a player they all liked last season". There were others as well that caught my attention...nothing big...maybe I was just misinterpreting.

I agree Forslund sounded snarky and I get that. I did point out in the GDT where you might not have read I thought John and Pierre were a hard listen last night. They also kept bringing up the same points over and over. I agree the way they analyzed the interference and a few other calls just had an odd feel to it. I usually like them together. Something seemed off about them last night.

Yes 100% and I and others touched upon it earlier in this thread -- probably took it a bit far at times too during the game. But yeah definitely noticed that and frankly lost a bit of respect for him, I thought he was more professional than that. I think part of it is that he's upset about how things played out here but also just being a "company man" for NBC now so he's parroting the dumb shit Pierre would say, etc.

The impression I got was that Forslund went overboard in an attempt to be neutral. E.g., Pierre tried to get him to tell the Necas story but Forslund wouldn't bite, so Pierre told it himself. But I thought Forslund's excitement on the Canes last 2 goals was genuine, and it came through.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
Anyways - Just for funs sake - I put it in slow mo and I think it's Svechnikovs goal

Puck seems to be heading straight down after what looks like jordan tips it and then propels forward from Svechnikovs stick

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
We don't know that (in bold) any more than we know that he was a malcontented prick. Both are obviously assumptions based on pieces of information available. Maybe he was trying to make the most of it and doing everything right. Maybe he was being a dick and was causing problems.

I don't think he's boo'd for "no reason". Right or wrong, he had a beef with a coach that is very popular with fans. Right or wrong, he's been going after Necas, a very popular player. Right or wrong, a lot of outlets have indicated it was more than his on-ice play that got him traded. How much a person wants to believe those outlets is up to them, but there's ample reasons IMO for fans to boo him.

I don't hold ill will towards him, but I don't fault fans for booing him either. He seems to be loving it as well and it's probably helping his standing both on his team, giving him motivation, and helping in future contract negotiations, so sounds like a win-win.
I felt the booing started before he had his issue with Necas. If the media had made a big issue about Rod and Haula before the series I missed it. We're pretty obsessed around here and we've only heard a little bit here and there that maybe Rod and Haula didnt see eye to eye around the time of the trade. I never heard anything back then about it being actually bad. If it was any worse I missed it. Actually any more than a guy playing for a contract would like to play more and his coach disagrees which is not a big deal. What the media does with it now to rev fans up is irrelevant to me, because now its all for show. The media loves it when there's a villain in a series, to the point of being fine with making one up.

The whole "that mean Haula is picking on poor, kind gentle Necas" is over the top ridiculous. Playoffs are mean and tough, guys are supposed to hate each other.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Yeah, the Vegas/MN was similar to Jokinen/Brodeur...good callback...I'll say all three are borderline. If I have no dog in the fight, on those close ones I tend to say no interference because I hate when games get what I would consider to be ticky-tack. If it was the Canes, my bias would kick in and I'd be thinking interference all the way.

I'll have to go back and watch the call from last night, but I thought Foegele was on Saros' left side for essentially a screen grab...and on the hairy edge of the crease...he might have ended up on the right side, but my interpretation of the call was him momentarily being on the left.

I may have typed that poorly regarding sides but you are correct in that Foegele is in front of Saros and somewhat on his left. I just meant right side as related to the crease and the rink if that makes sense.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
As much as I've said about Haula (and will gladly let that go), the player I dislike most in this series -- by far -- is Johansen. All the kid's toughness comes post-whistle, and about 3 out of every 4 of them come from behind. I am not a fan of post-whistle physicality for the most part...I'm sure this is hyperbole, but it feels like the most chicken-shit thing in hockey.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
As much as I've said about Haula (and will gladly let that go), the player I dislike most in this series -- by far -- is Johansen. All the kid's toughness comes post-whistle, and about 3 out of every 4 of them come from behind. I am not a fan of post-whistle physicality for the most part...I'm sure this is hyperbole, but it feels like the most chicken-shit thing in hockey.
Agreed.

Reactions: DaveG and geehaad

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Certainly could just be Haula thought Necas was a good target to pick on and nothing more. They just said they thought it was more from when he was in Carolina. They might have something approaching inside info.

Shane said in either a pre or post game show that Haula had several issues with teammates here and didn't elaborate.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Maybe I am looking into this way too much, but I could absolutely see Necas being a future captain of this team. Learning Finnish to joke around with Aho and Turbo? This story about him walking the aisle on the flight before being sent to Charlotte his first year over here? And my God, the goals last night and active shit talking to the Nashville bench after he tied it?

Can't really quantify it, but the kid has it. And this team rallies around him. He's a lightning rod that should provide a great spark to whatever team he is on. And, for added bonus, he's a really, really good hockey player.

They've shown clips of him on the bench encouraging guys, giving them hugs and stuff.

With his thighs you know RBA likes him for his workout regimen. I'm not sure I see him as captain but I can see him wearing an A for sure.

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
I'm curious to see if Slavin is a more physical player moving forward. He has been the definition of a positional defender up to this point, but has really utilized his size to defend at times with his lower-body not 100%. He can separate man from puck effectively, if he wants to.

This is something I've noticed this season on the whole. He seems to be much more willing to actually hit guys and not just get in their way.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Haven't read all the pages in this GDT, but for the interference call, it seemed borderline at best...when I first saw it, my guess was it would stay a goal since that was the call on the ice and it wasn't blatant (as in Foegele didn't intentionally/sigificantly impede Saros...obvious main impediment was Josi). I was surprised by the call but what really caught my attention was the lock-step agreement by the talking heads that is was clear interference...normally they'll give both perspectives on a call that close. Makes me wonder if my understanding of the rule is antiquated. The interference call in the Vegas/MN series made no sense to me either.

Also, did anyone else get pick up a less than friendly vibe from Forslund wrt the Canes/Canes Fans? One time when the crowd was booing Haula he made a comment something like "and the Canes fans boo a player they all liked last season". There were others as well that caught my attention...nothing big...maybe I was just misinterpreting.

Yeah John seemed butthurt and was lapping up the scraps Pierre was putting down.

If he cared to he could've reigned in Pierre like he did Tripp, but he didn't gaf.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
YES. I watched him after every whistle and he’s kinda sorta physical during play, but after the play is blown dead he’s the first (and a lot of times only) guy out there looking to poke/prod/etc. I don’t mind the scrums if they’re organic (guys all over the goalie and getting pulled off) but his is purely manufactured, 99% of the time.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
It seems to me like pierre just can't help but try to get John to talk about his time with the Hurricanes which John clearly does not want to do. He's done it every time I've watched them call canes games this year (which is only like 3 but still). I do think the canes did John dirty and I don’t blame him at all for not wanting to get into it while he's trying to call a game

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yep, him and Benning have been pricks #1 and 2 in the series. Haula's been a troll, but those two have been just flat out assholes.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Didn't Benning jump on Svech as the third man in after they squared off in a fight? Used to get kicked out of games for that shit.
Yep, and IIRC he was also the guy that punched Marty 5-6 times when he was already down after their tussle.

I'm legit convinced the only reason they called that Svech scrum roughing instead of a fight last night is so that they wouldn't have to toss a player in Benning.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Yep, and IIRC he was also the guy that punched Marty 5-6 times when he was already down after their tussle.

I'm legit convinced the only reason they called that Svech scrum roughing instead of a fight last night is so that they wouldn't have to toss a player in Benning.
I HAVE SEEN THAT SHOWN TO DISPLAY THAT TOMMY BOY AIN’T THE WORST.

IF YOU GET YOURSELF INTO THIS KIND OF COMPARISON…

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Just end this series tomorrow. Send those assholes to the golf courses and then focus on Tampa or Florida, who might be better teams, but we probably match up better against. And who also won't turn these games into such a shitshow of after the whistle bullshit.

They will, though. Have you seen that series? It's the playoffs.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I will say one thing, the celebration of the fans and the team like they did in the arena had the feeling of a gigantic 'well f*** you, too' at the refs and the league. Now that whatever mental block was there should be lifted, and now we have the knowledge that we can overcome the extreme levels of bullshit we saw to win.

The part that really just frustrates me about this series is that Nashville has a horseshoe lodged so far up their asses they are tasting iron right now. That first goal of theirs was ridiculous. And they're getting absurd bounces like that nightly. And yet we always have an answer for them. If we can just play one game where we cut out the bad turnovers, we win easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad