Rumor: Namestnikov Gaining Some Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Have you guys seen Tampa this year? Miller has looked terrible, despite his 8 points in 8 games. Half of those are secondary assists and one of his goals was the 8th goal in a blowout against Columbus as time expired and was a tap-in into an empty net.

He’s Ryan Spooner-ing this season.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
God i hope so. What a complete DUD he has been for us aside from the first game after the trade.

26 GP - 1G - 2A - 3P

Disgraceful.
One would think you would "run into" a 1-2-3 line by accident in 26 games. I don't care how responsible you are, on a team with no superstars (sorry Hank), everyone needs to contribute and make things happen. For crying out loud, Bruce MacGregor and Nicky Fotiu kicked in a goal now and again. Oh, those were the days!

When frighin' Cody McCleod has more grade "A" chances than you do, well then......4 million dollars? For what?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Holy **** I didn’t even realize his stats have been that bad, especially considering 2 of those points came in his first game which means he’s had 1 point in his last 25 games..
He’s looking better recently but hopefully we get a 2nd for him. I could see Edmonton being interested with their crappy depth and Namestnikov would look good with McJesus

Oooo. That is true. That would also mean Gorton gets the opportunity to snow Chiarelli. That could easily speed up our rebuild (only being partially facetious).

200.gif

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Have you guys seen Tampa this year? Miller has looked terrible, despite his 8 points in 8 games. Half of those are secondary assists and one of his goals was the 8th goal in a blowout against Columbus as time expired and was a tap-in into an empty net.

He’s Ryan Spooner-ing this season.
This is a point that needs to be restated. In a vacuum, of course I'd take Miller over Spooner. But would I have committed big money and years to Miller? f*** no. He looked like he quit on us last season. And coupled with the whispers about him being a less than ideal teammate, would I want him part of a young, rebuilding, and generally crappy team? Hell no. I would literally wager my house that if you put JT Miller on this team, as currently constructed and as currently playing, he would be posting shitty numbers and people would be dying over the contract we gave him (assuming we gave him the deal TB did).

EDIT: I mean Namestnikov here, not Spooner, if that wasn't apparent.

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I’d take a 7th rounder and another letter from gorton this time apologizing for taking this clown as part of handing over J.T. Miller for basically free.

I want him gone
Kudos! JT was quite the headache/head case........but damn, he was a helluva lot more fun to watch play, than this clown "Namestnicough". He and Hayes were great on the PK, and actually was getting used to those PK powerplays.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
This is a point that needs to be restated. In a vacuum, of course I'd take Miller over Spooner. But would I have committed big money and years to Miller? **** no. He looked like he quit on us last season. And coupled with the whispers about him being a less than ideal teammate, would I want him part of a young, rebuilding, and generally crappy team? Hell no. I would literally wager my house that if you put JT Miller on this team, as currently constructed and as currently playing, he would be posting ****ty numbers and people would be dying over the contract we gave him (assuming we gave him the deal TB did).

I would have easily let JT Miller leave the organization for nothing rather than sign him to the contract that he got.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
so you're saying he's not even playing well and he's still a ppg player. so when he actually does start playing well what happens? Meanwhile namestnikov has 3 pts in like 30 games as 2 of them came in the same game.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
You move him period. Don't care what the return is, as long as it doesn't cripple the cap.

I don't have any issues with the player, but he's going to be out of the NHL after this contract, and I'm sure he can add marginal value to a team that needs a body.

If you're going to be a generalist, or Swiss army knife of a player then you better be good at multiple aspects of the game. Names is not. But I can see him filling a nice role on a team like Minnesota or Florida... just not at $4M.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I'd prefer Miller at 5+ over 6 years than how we have for 4 over 2

One guy produces offence, and we have the other guy.
Wouldn't JT have fit in with this rebuild MUCH BETTER than Namestnikov? Me thinks so, and quite possibly has hurt Hayes play to a degree. They had chemistry and were good buds. (No pun intended)

My eyes were telling me that JT was actually improving and somewhat of a threat, can't say the same for who we acquired.
Does anyone here think NAMES will reach 20+ goals? Well, that's what JT was pretty much down for moving forward.

How's he doing in Tampa, btw? Probably hanging with McD, Dan, Anton and Cally. Pounding some down.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This is a point that needs to be restated. In a vacuum, of course I'd take Miller over Spooner. But would I have committed big money and years to Miller? **** no. He looked like he quit on us last season. And coupled with the whispers about him being a less than ideal teammate, would I want him part of a young, rebuilding, and generally crappy team? Hell no. I would literally wager my house that if you put JT Miller on this team, as currently constructed and as currently playing, he would be posting ****ty numbers and people would be dying over the contract we gave him (assuming we gave him the deal TB did).

Exactly.

My concern with someone like Miller, and to a lesser extent McD is that neither guy was going to lead this team forward. I think they can work as support players, assuming someone else is leading the charge, but neither guy was going to be the one leading that charge here.

So not only do you know have two players who aren't necessarily in positions to succeed, you now have to sign them to large, long-term contracts. Frankly, that's a path I have a lot of trepidation going down.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Wouldn't JT have fit in with this rebuild MUCH BETTER than Namestnikov? Me thinks so, and quite possibly has hurt Hayes play to a degree. They had chemistry and were good buds. (No pun intended)

My eyes were telling me that JT was actually improving and somewhat of a threat, can't say the same for who we acquired.
Does anyone here think NAMES will reach 20+ goals? Well, that's what JT was pretty much down for moving forward.

How's he doing in Tampa, btw? Probably hanging with McD, Dan, Anton and Cally. Pounding some down.
I don’t think either of them are good for a rebuild, and the one that’s here probably won’t be here for very long

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Also, he’d be making more money here when factoring in NYS taxes. I liked Miller, but he always overperformed relative to his play, and he struck me as the type of player who was incredibly talented, but also horrificly lazy. I hate throwing out buzzwords like mentally weak, but the dude is a ghost in the playoffs.

so you're saying he's not even playing well and he's still a ppg player. so when he actually does start playing well what happens? Meanwhile namestnikov has 3 pts in like 30 games as 2 of them came in the same game.

Does his shooting percentage stop being 20% when that happens too? Have you seen him this year? He’s dogging it and has been demoted to the 4th line. I liked the kid, but f*** that noise with giving him a 5 yr $6M AAV contract with trade restrictions. Usethat future cap space to try to get a guy like Panarin.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
One of the things that often gets overlooked in trades is how a team perceives diminishing returns.

We tend to look at things in the context of the immediate aftermath of a trade. Who's scoring better, etc.

But a big part of the discussion is about how things look 2 or 3 years down the line. How does their contract look, how does their value look, where is the team at, how does a certain player look on a team at that point.

So the question for the Rangers isn't about how Miller looks playing next to Stamkos and Kucherov on his new contract, or how McD looks playing on the second pair and being one of the guys.

The question for the Rangers is how Miller looks playing on this team, with these players, on what is likely a higher contract, or how McD looks plugged in as a first pair defenseman, and a captain, and having to be more than just one of the guys.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don’t think either of them are good for a rebuild, and the one that’s here probably won’t be here for very long

Personally, I think both of them would struggle and this board would be vocal pretty quickly.

I think we seem to be forgetting that this team was well along this path last year, with those guys.

At the end of the day, Quinn doesn't turn back the clock on McD's body. Even if there's a bump to his play, it wasn't going to stay that way for 7 years and the contract McD was going to demand.

And something tells me that Miller would probably not have been the type of player Quinn gravitated toward. I can easily see that being a relationship that went downhill fast and Miller being a challenge to move with a crazy salary and diminishing production.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This board really needs to stop breaking the NYR-TB deal into two seperate deals.

The components don't exist separately, without one another.

There is no Howden, Hajek, first and conditional first without Miller also being part of that deal.

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
That’s absolutely not how it happened

I understand he was part of the bigger package, but Names/JTMiller were basically the player swap. But true, as Edge said above, it is more complicated than that.

Guess I'm just bitter on not wanting him then, and now definitely not wanting him. I'm not saying that as if we should have gotten Pointe or Serg but he was clearly just a product of playing between two absolutely ridiculously talented players.

Either way, they need to dump him and Spooner at the deadline.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I understand he was part of the bigger package, but Names/JTMiller were basically the player swap. But true, as Edge said above, it is more complicated than that.

Guess I'm just bitter on not wanting him then, and now definitely not wanting him. I'm not saying that as if we should have gotten Pointe or Serg but he was clearly just a product of playing between two absolutely ridiculously talented players.
It wasn’t basically a player swap is what I mean. After the trade I think it was Gorton said that the big sticking point was Hajek, and to get him included the Rangers had to add Miller, but then in doing that the deal tipped toward TB and to even it out Namestnikov was added. They were both added to the trade last, but to balance out the deal as a whole, not just a ‘we might as well swap these guys too while we’re at it’

Reactions: qwertyaas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad