Names for new Seattle team

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
And all I am saying is, at no point was the Winnipeg Polar Bears selected as the team name, submitted to the league and then the board of governors rejected the name forcing the Winnipeg ownership group to go with Jets as their plan B.

That's an absurd claim and it's purely fictional.

Maybe the myth behind that story began back when Nashville had been on the market a number of years ago and TNSE had been approached about purchasing the team (if no other buyers could be found). It was said that Mark Chipman was intrigued with the Polar Bear theme because the team name in Nashville was Predators and a Polar Bear is considered the ultimate predator in northern Manitoba. That could be what gave the story legs in the first place about the name being rejected by the Board of Governors after the Thrashers were purchased. However, the name being bandied about was never the Winnipeg Polar Bears but the Manitoba Polar Bears. Nothing was really ever confirmed about the Polar Bears name though. I do recall that the Premier of Manitoba (Greg Selinger) wanted the team to be called Manitoba instead of Winnipeg as it was more inclusive according to him.

The Polar Bears moniker issue does bring back memories of when the Jets name was finally announced. I recall going to the Manitoba Legislature for an event honoring firefighters a few days after the Thrashers purchase announcement and in talking with the Premier, I mentioned that hopefully the team will be called the Winnipeg Jets and he said that it was going to be Manitoba (to be inclusive). The province, along with the city and federal government, had contributed to the construction (10% each) of the MTS Centre which was completed seven years earlier. I was under the impression that maybe Chipman felt obligated to name the team Manitoba because of the provincial contribution to the construction costs. I remember being bummed about that for a number of days afterwards. I was happy about the NHL returning but was really disappointed at the prospects of our team being called Manitoba (whatever) instead of Winnipeg Jets.

There was a large contingent of fans that were members on the JetsOwner.com website started by Darren Ford in 2003. Someone came up with the idea of an online petition for the Jets name. I'm not sure if it ever got presented to Chipman or if he was ever aware of it but it was great knowing there were others that wanted the Jets name as much as I did. To some people the team name didn't matter as they were just happy to be back in the NHL but to those of us that wanted the Jets name, it was a pretty tense time leading up to the draft when the name was to be announced. Along with many others, I was truly elated when Chipman announced the team name as Winnipeg Jets at the draft. I don't know how the Premier felt about it but I was so happy that he was wrong.

I hope for the sake of Seattle fans that the name chosen for their team is one they will be proud of.

:jets

Reactions: KapG

Evergreen

I like the name Evergreens. I think there could be some really cool evergreen tree logos created. And I’m a big fan of the color green. A nice forest green (darker than Dallas) would be cool.

Reactions: KapG

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Klgr3wX_d.jpg

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Picture a cow. An angry cow. A bull even. A mad bull. A fighting mad bull. In the rain. A fighting mad, wet, angry bull. Better, yet, a whole group of them.

The Seattle Battle Cattle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad