Name Your Favorite Moment from the Decade of Darkness

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Something to pass the time. What has your favorite Oiler memory been from the past decade? I'll draw the line at the 09-10 season, when Pat Quinn was behind the bench and the Oilers finished with a stunning 62 points.

I'll go with the Sam Gagner 8 point night. I was lucky enough to be in attendance. I'll never forget him getting all three stars, and the whole building staying in their seats to cheer him on.

What's yours?

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
The 8 points was kind of magical. I think of the decade of darkness as 07 thru 17 but. Man there were some really lean and trying years in the 90s but the team worked their bags off back then.

When Dallas Eakins was assaulted by Taylor Hall is mine....

Reactions: ClinicallyOilered

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
On ice Gags 8 points. Off ice Drafting McJesus. The darkest of night leads to the brightest of light.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
When it ended?

Seriously it was the McDavid lottery win. When I saw the golden card flip over, I flopped onto my side on the couch and just giggled like an idiot for 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: RattsSSV

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Kevin Lowe introducing Mact at that press conference. i dont know if any team will ever be that much of a circus ever again.

also Tambellini getting Smithson on Oil Change.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Kevin Lowe introducing Mact at that press conference. i dont know if any team will ever be that much of a circus ever again.

also Tambellini getting Smithson on Oil Change.

I feel the Senators the last couple years give them a solid run for their money.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Might seem weird, but seeing Mactavish with a look of despair on his face (you know the picture) was one of my favourite. It's a good signal something massive was going to change. Same thing with chia smacking his head against a table while watching his team get trashed.

Hockey moment though will always be the 8 point game. It's so rare and Gagner did it against a really strong hawks team.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I liked:

Eberle first goal.

Mac Ts expression at the public presser where Chiarelli announced he was taking President and GM role.

McDavid draft.

Gagner getting 8 points was obviously good but I think far more in person. Which I wasn't. Most his points seemed lucky more than skilled.

Yaks slide was pretty big at the time.

Andy Sutton Dangle.

Nuge undressing Lidstrom in his rookie is probably my favorite.

I'm trying to think of some Hall moments or even Hemsky. My two favorite players of that period but nothing is coming to mind.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Eberle's first goal. It felt like that was a sign of sure success. It wasn't, but that goal was gorgeous.
I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when this happened.

First year at U of C, at the Den and without looking I could tell you it was on a Thursday, as it was "Thursden," which is the student appreciation night where everyone goes to the campus bar and it's nuts (or was anyways, don't know about these days).

I'm with a large group of friends just mingling around the bar on the bottom floor, it was BoA so all of the TVs had it going and I remember Vandermeer holding the puck on the back of the net, playing it off the boards and it was Eberle on the right and Horcoff on the left wing on a two on one. Thursden was loud and rowdy and I just screamed for everyone to "SHUT THE f*** UP" and, in my memory anyways, a majority of everyone on the first floor around me did. Now music is blasting, but it's essentially silent up until he toe drags and goes to his backhand, bar down on Kipper. The place erupts in both sighs and boos from the Calgary fans and cheers from the Oiler fans in the crowd along with me, JUST as 'Pursuit of Happiness - Kid Cudi / MGMT / Ratatat' starts blasting from the DJ at the bar. I finally got to pull out that cocky smirk and direct it to all of my buddies that I had to push down deep for years, due to the seasons beforehand.

I remember thinking, oh man, being an Oiler fan is going to be good again.

And then the rest of the decade happened.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Either the SJ shutout by Scrivens, or the Gagner 8 point night. I was lucky enough to attend both, and as someone who attends maybe 2 games every year (none since we moved to downtown) I consider myself incredibly lucky to have experienced both of those games.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Outside of McLottery, probably Gagner's 8 pointer. I was actually at the gym but I thought my Score app was malfunctioning with all the points he was getting lol. Then I got home and saw the tail end of the game.

Also honorable mention to Hemsky scoring after Stefan missed the empty net, lol.

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
- Gagner 8-point game
- Eberle's first goal vs. Calgary
- Scrivens 59 save shutout
- Omark spin
- Yakupov slide
- Hall hat trick/RNH 5-point game vs. Chicago

I was fortunate enough to be at all but the last one, but then again I had to sit through a lot of atrocious hockey, so...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad