Name The 5 Worst Number One Goaltenders in NHL Contracts included

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Why is everyone listing Mason? He's not a #1 goalie - he's only played 4 games in a Jets uniform. He had a competition to be #1 and lost.
I agree that he's not very good though.

People listing Mason forget that he lost his starter job to Hellebuyck at the game 5-6 mark.

That's kind of the point. He's the one being paid like a number one goaltender...

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Mason, Elliot, Luongo, Raanta, Dubnyk

Luongo simply because of his age
Dubnyk i believe is very over rated

Even if that's your opinion, he's at worst an average goalie by any standards and has the 20th highest caphit for an NHL goalie.

There is zero reason he'd be in the worst 5 list as an average goalie getting paid below average money.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Some guys near the top including contracts are Rinne, Varlamov, Lundqvist, Smith (this year doesn't erase the past), Mason and Elliott. I think my rankings would be:

1. Mason
2. Rinne
3. Elliott
4. Varlamov
5. Lundqvist

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Apparently the people who are saying Howard having seen him play in front of that abysmal 6 man group we call a defense.

He's not the greatest. He's not even top 10. But he's far from bottom 5. Detroit's defense BLOWS.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I'd say Mason is more like one of the overpaid backups/1B's. I don't think he was ever brought in as the clear #1, that job was up for grabs for whoever takes it and the main thing with him was he brought in a competitive scenario for our goalies. Bringing him in probably added motivation for Hellebuyck to prove himself, so in that sense it's worked out. He's as much of a #1 goalie as Mrazek or Halak at this point.

Taking contracts into consideration makes this ranking a whole different thing, than just naming the 5 worst starters, and it's pretty tough to say, at what point you'd prefer a mediocre starter making little money to above average starter making 7M.

For me Reimer is up there (3.4M) if he's truly taking the reigns right now, Howard while decent is overpaid (5.29M), Rask has been average for couple years now (7M), Lehner gives so many bad goals it's not even funny (4M) and even though the cap hit isn't too bad, i'd still prefer the guys making 7M to Elliott making 2.75M or Markstrom making 3.6M.

But yeah it's tough to make a definitive list when we don't have clear conception of how much weight should be put into contracts.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Hard for me to not say halak after last night but he only has one year left. I'd want nothing to do with Price or Lundqvists contracts (although id want hanks towards the beginning when he was still elite) Howards contract is brutal and throw in elliot

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hard for me to not say halak after last night but he only has one year left. I'd want nothing to do with Price or Lundqvists contracts (although id want hanks towards the beginning when he was still elite) Howard's contract is brutal and throw in elliot

Jimmy Howard doesn't have a brutal contract. 2 years left at 5.2 and he has been playing awesome the past season and a half. Injuries are his problem not his contract.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Scott Darling - $4.15m x 4 yrs
Jimmy Howard - $5.29m x 2 yrs
Cam Talbot - $4.16m x 2 yrs
James Reimer - $3.4m x 4 yrs
Robin Lehner - $4m

Best list so far. OP said contracts included, but everyone seems to only be focusing on the contract. These 5 are way worse than guys like Lundqvist or Price, even with the pricetag considered.

I would probably go with Howard, Halak, Markstrom, Lehner, and then maybe Reimer as the 5 worst starters at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Scott Darling - $4.15m x 4 yrs
Jimmy Howard - $5.29m x 2 yrs
Cam Talbot - $4.16m x 2 yrs
James Reimer - $3.4m x 4 yrs
Robin Lehner - $4m

Imagine those goaltenders in an Avs jersey god damn that would be scary :popcorn: Varly isn’t the best but hes been great so far. Vegas game not included :laugh: 57 saves on 60 shots last night against Carolina

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Imagine those goaltenders in an Avs jersey god damn that would be scary :popcorn: Varly isn’t the best but hes been great so far. Vegas game not included :laugh: 57 saves on 60 shots last night against Carolina

I didn’t realize he was in for all 7 goals. That really trashed his season totals. Without that game, he’s put up elite numbers.

Reactions: Spilot23

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Most of the goalies that are listed are in teams with certain defensive deficiencies. Very hard to judge. You absolutely cannot include Price on these lists. He has a history of stealing games on his own for the most part. When his new contract kicks in maybe then you can make an argument simply due to the fact that 10m/yr for a goalie is a stretch when the team needs that much help in scoring goals.

Ummm, you absolutely can and should include him because he's playing like the worst goalie in the league. Before someone says "it's only been 10 games", y'all wanted to give him the Hart and Vezina after 10 games in 15/16 so sit down and be quiet.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Some guys near the top including contracts are Rinne, Varlamov, Lundqvist, Smith (this year doesn't erase the past), Mason and Elliott. I think my rankings would be:

1. Mason
2. Rinne
3. Elliott
4. Varlamov
5. Lundqvist

I'm curious how Rinne is on here above Lundqvist. His contract ends very soon and has played fantastic thus far.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Jimmy Howard doesn't have a brutal contract. 2 years left at 5.2 and he has been playing awesome the past season and a half. Injuries are his problem not his contract.
Agreed. Mrazek has a worse one as of last season and this season

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
Price 10M contract hasn't kicked in yet thought ...

But right now his play for a #1 goalie is definitively bottom 5. He's gaven up 2 goals in less than a minute 6 times this season. Most of them early in the first period too. He's really killing the Habs.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Just because Andersen bounced back last year doesn't mean he will bounce back again. It probably was just a fluke and coincidence. The fact of the matter is that right now Andersen is being paid 5 mil to play like an AHL goalie. We pretty much have 5 mil in dead cap space. Kind of like when we had Clarkson. Actually that's a pretty good comparison. Andersen is the Clarkson version of goalies.

This is a massive supposition.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Apparently the people who are saying Howard having seen him play in front of that abysmal 6 man group we call a defense.

He's not the greatest. He's not even top 10. But he's far from bottom 5. Detroit's defense BLOWS.
He's paid a little more than other middling goalies who are younger, and is frequently injured. He performs quite well everything considered, definitely not bottom 5. If Detroit were to rebuild they could do quite well to trade Howard (with retention), I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad