Name The 5 Worst Number One Goaltenders in NHL Contracts included

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Hanks contract is what it is, he deserved it, but he's over 0 in dSv% so even with the contract it's tough to put him in the bottom 5.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Andersen Elliot mason domingue hank
Stop being dramatic.
Andersen has looked like shit in 80% of his starts so far but look at last year. He was the worst goalie in the league for October and then he was a top-5 goalie in most stats from Nov-Playoffs.
He doesn't deserve to be anywhere near this thread unless we're talking about the bottom 5 goalies in the league TODAY...in which case you'd need to add Jesus Price and probably Talbot as well.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Mason, Elliot, Luongo, Raanta, Dubnyk

Luongo simply because of his age
Dubnyk i believe is very over rated

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Stop being dramatic.
Andersen has looked like **** in 80% of his starts so far but look at last year. He was the worst goalie in the league for October and then he was a top-5 goalie in most stats from Nov-Playoffs.
He doesn't deserve to be anywhere near this thread unless we're talking about the bottom 5 goalies in the league TODAY...in which case you'd need to add Jesus Price and probably Talbot as well.

Just because Andersen bounced back last year doesn't mean he will bounce back again. It probably was just a fluke and coincidence. The fact of the matter is that right now Andersen is being paid 5 mil to play like an AHL goalie. We pretty much have 5 mil in dead cap space. Kind of like when we had Clarkson. Actually that's a pretty good comparison. Andersen is the Clarkson version of goalies.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
In before Carey Price
Yea, but Price absolutely is bottom 5 once his new cap hit kicks in. It's like posters on here, much like Montreal management, don't understand the concept of replacement value. Price is a good goalie, but from a statistical standpoint, it doesn't make any sense to spend a seventh of your cap on ANY goalie.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
This is actually a fun, tough question.

If we are talking about right now, and not when they were actually signed (which is probably not the best way, but whatever):

I'll use save percentage since 2015/16 (i.e. 2yrs plus this year):

1.Lundqvist .914sv% ($8.5m x 4yrs)
2.Rask .914sv% ($7.0m x 4yrs)
3.Schneider .915sv% ($6.0m x 5yrs)
4.Price .920sv% ($10.5m x 9yrs)
5.Varlamov .908sv% ($5.9m x 2yrs)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Hanks contract is what it is, he deserved it, but he's over 0 in dSv% so even with the contract it's tough to put him in the bottom 5.
No, he did not "deserve it". It was a big mistake by management. Nothing more, nothing less.

And on topic, Lundqvist is the worst starter in NHL. Mason is the second-worst. Next would be Varlamov with his contract. Not sure about the rest of the spots.

Price might be on the list, by the way. Mostly due to having a terrible contract.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
No, he did not "deserve it". It was a big mistake by management. Nothing more, nothing less.

And on topic, Lundqvist is the worst starter in NHL. Mason is the second-worst. Next would be Varlamov with his contract. Not sure about the rest of the spots.

Price might be on the list, by the way. Mostly due to having a terrible contract.

Lundqvist isn't the worst starter in the NHL, the worst starter in the NHL doesn't have a positive dSv%

Reactions: haveandare

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
This is actually a fun, tough question.

If we are talking about right now, and not when they were actually signed (which is probably not the best way, but whatever):

I'll use save percentage since 2015/16 (i.e. 2yrs plus this year):

1.Lundqvist .914sv% ($8.5m x 4yrs)
2.Rask .914sv% ($7.0m x 4yrs)
3.Schneider .915sv% ($6.0m x 5yrs)
4.Price .920sv% ($10.5m x 9yrs)
5.Varlamov .908sv% ($5.9m x 2yrs)

Use dSv% instead :)

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Most of the goalies that are listed are in teams with certain defensive deficiencies. Very hard to judge. You absolutely cannot include Price on these lists. He has a history of stealing games on his own for the most part. When his new contract kicks in maybe then you can make an argument simply due to the fact that 10m/yr for a goalie is a stretch when the team needs that much help in scoring goals.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Mason, Elliot, Luongo, Raanta, Dubnyk

Luongo simply because of his age
Dubnyk i believe is very over rated

Since coming to Minnesota, he is:

#1 in minutes played
#2 in wins
tied for #1 in save %
#5 in goals against

And makes just a shade over $4 million. I don't know where the overrated would come in.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Why is everyone listing Mason? He's not a #1 goalie - he's only played 4 games in a Jets uniform. He had a competition to be #1 and lost.
I agree that he's not very good though.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
PRice is having a bad year, but he's an elite goalie.

That contract tho . . that's pretty much untradeable. What good team has 10 million in cap to toss at a goalie? That's just absurd.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Yea, but Price absolutely is bottom 5 once his new cap hit kicks in. It's like posters on here, much like Montreal management, don't understand the concept of replacement value. Price is a good goalie, but from a statistical standpoint, it doesn't make any sense to spend a seventh of your cap on ANY goalie.
Is there anyone, anyone on this forum who thinks its a good contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad