Player Discussion Nail Yakupov

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
We really need to stop degrading our own players, at the very least know that constant fan criticism will affect a player

IMO, Yak is a keeper, and McLellan is just trying to develop him. When we trade from out top 6, Yak is a relatively inexpensive talent that can and will do well with better linemates/situations. I trust Yak to do well in that situation a lot more that anyone in Bakersfield.

If Yak falters next year in his last cheap bridge contract year with good linemates, then it may be time for him to move, but now we're not looking at the complete picture and could easily get fleeced.

Besides were missing the real issue here and that's rushing players to the NHL level. Look at Nurse and how Draisaitl is running down. You'd think seeing what extra development did with Davidson, we'd leave guys in the AHL an extra year.

We're getting fleeced by having him on the team.

We need more effective players that can play a solid third line role in the bottom 6, and we need guys that are bigger and tougher to play against on the wing in the top 6. Yak doesn't come close to filling the description for either of those roles.

I really don't care if he goes to another team and does well (although I would be shocked if he did), he isn't getting it done here and provides nothing that the Oilers need.

If he hasn't been able to do anything effectively for three straight years, what makes you think he's going to figure it out in the 4th?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
For the Yak fans... What exactly are you seeing in him that still makes you think there's player there?

I keep hearing about this mythical shot of his... But he actually gets a good one off, what? Once every three games? And he works hard, sure. So does Klinkhammer.

I'm just not seeing it. In fact. I'm not sure if I've EVER seen a play or a sequence from Yak that made me think, 'wow, if this guy can just put it together...' He made a nice drop pass to Horcoff once in his rookie season, maybe. That's it.

Honestly, someone put together a Yak highlight reel. And then a Letestu highlight reel. Is there much difference in the skill level they show in how they get their points?

This. It seems to me that people want to see something that just isn't there. I'd imagine all the losing and, as Replacment says, mismanagement of players over wayyyyyy to many years has a large effect on how we perceive things as fans. I really wanted to believe the Yakupov hype for a couple of years, but it doesn't add up realistically.

I truly believe that if more folks took some time away from the game and saw things from an almost "outsider's" viewpoint, their opinions, good or bad, might change for the entire scope of this 10 year "project".....better known as the Oilers.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Pump and dump Purcell.

Move up Yakupov to top line post trade deadline.

If he still can't get his crap together then move him. I suspect he will flourish, but could be wrong.

But either way we'll have a good idea of what he's capable of once and for all.

Bring in some better players for the bottom six and overhaul the blueline.

Win Stanley Cup next year.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This. It seems to me that people want to see something that just isn't there. I'd imagine all the losing and, as Replacment says, mismanagement of players over wayyyyyy to many years has a large effect on how we perceive things as fans. I really wanted to believe the Yakupov hype for a couple of years, but it doesn't add up realistically.

I truly believe that if more folks took some time away from the game and saw things from an almost "outsider's" viewpoint, their opinions, good or bad, might change for the entire scope of this 10 year "project".....better known as the Oilers.

The problem with that is that an 'outsider's viewpoint' mainly consists of seeing a player struggling and focusing on said struggles. There's no desire to see the redeeming qualities of the player. This is why the main board is full of tunnel-visioned arguments either for or against specific players.

At least there are posters in here who are willing to address that Yakupov is a flawed player with loads of still untapped potential.

To answer the question, he's what you'd consider a hard-nosed player who is capable of protecting the puck. He's slippery.

And it's amazing how many here want to simply cut ties with the player when we just recently signed another 'draft bust' to a long-term contract.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
1003rd post guys

Is there a way to breakdown the post contributions in this thread?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The problem with that is that an 'outsider's viewpoint' mainly consists of seeing a player struggling and focusing on said struggles. There's no desire to see the redeeming qualities of the player. This is why the main board is full of tunnel-visioned arguments either for or against specific players.

At least there are posters in here who are willing to address that Yakupov is a flawed player with loads of still untapped potential.

To answer the question, he's what you'd consider a hard-nosed player who is capable of protecting the puck. He's slippery.

And it's amazing how many here want to simply cut ties with the player when we just recently signed another 'draft bust' to a long-term contract.

Who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad