Player Discussion Nail Yakupov

Status
Not open for further replies.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
I can honestly say I don't understand the love for this guy , besides great hustle what does this guy even do.
Yet all his defenders say he should be playing over ebs and " GIVE HIM A CHANCE" we did , he sucks and we picked a bust, lets move on already. Seriously, stop making excuses for him

Last edited by a moderator:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I like the guy, but by no means do I think he deserves playing time over Ebs.

With that being said, trading him for nothing isn't a good idea either.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I like the guy, but by no means do I think he deserves playing time over Ebs.

With that being said, trading him for nothing isn't a good idea either.

Pretty much this.

Also, why such extremes? Is it so wrong that people want to see a guy succeed?

seguino

Jan 7, 2013
Van
I love Yak. I think that is the main reason some fans want to see him play up in the lineup. Honestly, he does not deserve it.
Potential 2nd line winger is what he is.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Sucks because I was as big a fan as anyone, but I think it's time to move on. He just isn't very good.

Nail needs a fresh start too.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
Im pretty much done with him, and I've had a long leash with him. He certainly doesn't make the Oilers harder to play against. Something as simple as having an active stick down on the ice while forechecking eludes him. He's not a threat what so ever without the puck, and barely one with it. Not enough production to justify his overall role on this team. I highly doubt he's in Chia's long term plan at this point. If Teddy gets dealt at the TDL, it may be his last chance to prove himself as an Oiler.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Pretty much this.

Also, why such extremes? Is it so wrong that people want to see a guy succeed?

He is a good cheap depth option to have IMO. Not like he's making 5mil a year for 5 more years.

With how injuries occur on this team wouldn't shock me to see him get a shot in the top 6 anyway this year.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I don't think there's any rush to trade him. Friendly contract, loves the team, good guy in the locker room. I say keep him, hold onto him, and develop him as a Radek Dvorak type. Bottom six winger with speed and grit, who can slot in anywhere in the line up.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
I've been done for a while. I'm sick of watching him skate around and achieve nothing. Trade him, waive him, I'm beyond caring.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
We may have picked a bust but we will never know because he hasn't gotten the proper development and opportunity to tell. We likely never will be able to tell. Eakins did a ton of damage to his potential, IMO

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Another no content "Fire Yak" thread.

Theres already previous threads that could have been bumped that actually provide background, information, and stats of note.

This thread seems nothing but a carve fest.

Yak has actually played well the last couple games in limited minutes on the 3rd line. Is their specific concern that has resulted in this latest round of get rid of him?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'll say this. Put RNH on the 3rd line with scrubs, he would do worse than Yak. Eberle, we all know is next to useless on the 3rd line. Much worse than Yak. There's that. If the 2 guys aren't playing top 6, they should be traded. Yak actually does something on the bottom 6.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'll say this. Put RNH on the 3rd line with scrubs, he would do worse than Yak. Eberle, we all know is next to useless on the 3rd line. Much worse than Yak. There's that. If the 2 guys aren't playing top 6, they should be traded. Yak actually does something on the bottom 6.

I think its a positive that we have him actually working hard on that line. That is progress for a player that has had prior up and down moments due to Eakins tenure. Before and after the allstar break Yak has been playing well. What is this thread about?

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Yakupov is a flop, should trade him while there is a chance someone else associates value with him.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
This board has been trying to make Yak look like a top6 player for the last 3 years. The supporters take little sample sizes of pieces of the season to support it. They ignore the season on the whole which is a way larger sample size and is proven to be way way more accurate in predicting his season point totals.

Hes a bust of a 1st overall talent. Hes still a NHL player though, should be able to get a team 15 goals and 35 points every year.

He will get a chance somewhere else and continue with those numbers in a bottom 6 role not being able to PK or really being trusted by his coach.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Yak actually does not look that out of place on the third line in the past few games. An upgrade on Letestu would do wonders for him. I still believe he has 25+ goal potential. If Purcell does get moved in the deadline, I hope Yak takes full advantage of this opportunity to play with Hall and Drai.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
His draft position and whether that makes him a bust or not is really irrelevant to this club at this point in time. All I care is whether he can add something and be effective on a secondary scoring line which he has in the past two games.

Don't see any logic in slamming him for his play since McDavid has been back just because Eberle has done what's been asked of him.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Another no content "Fire Yak" thread.

Theres already previous threads that could have been bumped that actually provide background, information, and stats of note.

This thread seems nothing but a carve fest.

Yak has actually played well the last couple games in limited minutes on the 3rd line. Is their specific concern that has resulted in this latest round of get rid of him?
People see his past as a 1st overall draft pick and his current playing on the third line and think that means he is worthless and needs to leave.

Some people see no value in a good third liner with heart and skill.

We have two of those in Yak and Kassian

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yak actually does not look that out of place on the third line in the past few games. An upgrade on Letestu would do wonders for him. I still believe he has 25+ goal potential. If Purcell does get moved in the deadline, I hope Yak takes full advantage of this opportunity to play with Hall and Drai.
I don't see it working but i would love to see it to prove me wrong.

Hall and Drai excel with Purcell because Purcell is a simple player that the other two just know where he will be. Most dynamic duos need a guy like that as it allows their chemistry to shine and not have to over think the third guy.

Yak is still an erratic player and i think he could cause issues to that line. Unless he joins in with the chemistry but i rarely see strong 3 way chemistry

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
People see his past as a 1st overall draft pick and his current playing on the third line and think that means he is worthless and needs to leave.

I would like to see Jujhar get another call up.

Kassian-Jujhar-Yak would cause chaos

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
He played just as much ice time as Taylor Hall yesterday, including on the powerplay. I was stunned by that when I noticed the boxscore. Can't use terms like "limited minutes" when describing his game last night when only 1 forward (Letstu) played more than him. He was almost invisible. I'm beyond disappointed as I've been a real big backer of him, particularly given his attitude and love for the game. Wanted him to be a real big part of the team moving forward but I'm running out of ways to see that happen.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

yeah I don't quite get that. People not valuing having talent in bottomsix.

lets also be clear here. Both Kassian and Yak are bringing better focus and effort than Pouliot and Purcell who continue to have plum roles on this club.

Pouiot yet again made the biggest bonhead play of the game taking a stupid penalty in offensive end with the Oilers unravelling in the 2nd. Another in an unending series of brutal penalties from this player that has cost us countless games. not even a mention of it though on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad