NAHL coming to KC

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Again I get stuck on wondering why they would make the move now, and not just wait in Topeka until the arena in Overland Park was built, to me it would seem like the easier choice in terms of logistics....
Then I suggest you contact Hunt Jr. and ask him for a copy of his announcement in double-spaced typeset, so you can more easily read between the lines about his last straw being broken in trying to extract a reasonable lease agreement from the SC Board of Commissioners. Sometimes you've just gotta cut bait, haul the boat outta the water, and head for a pond where the fish are hungrier.

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Then I suggest you contact Hunt Jr. and ask him for a copy of his announcement in double-spaced typeset, so you can more easily read between the lines about his last straw being broken in trying to extract a reasonable lease agreement from the SC Board of Commissioners. Sometimes you've just gotta cut bait, haul the boat outta the water, and head for a pond where the fish are hungrier.
Ah that brings a lot more clarity to the situation, somehow I missed that they were renegotiating their lease :doh:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Topeka returns to a familiar name the rebranded franchise now the Kansas City Scouts...... same name as the original NHL Team now based in New Jersey as the Devils

GareFan18

Jan 10, 2014
Kansas City
I play at KC Ice Center once or twice a week. During this downtime, they've redone the ice and are giving the place a cosmetic facelift -- new paint, redoing the bleachers, etc.
I don't know if they're getting a new scoreboard, but they could use one.

It's a HS hockey rink. A traditional hockey barn. It probably seats 400. I think the key word is TEMPORARY.

I'm going to speculate that they may double up and play a couple of games on the same day as the Mavs in Independence. It's the same ownership group and Simon Watson is a Mavs legend (if there is such a thing). There is no bad news here (well, except for Topeka, but I suspect much of the problem in Topeka was lease-related, as always).

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I'm sure they'll be playing some games at the Mavericks arena when scheduling allows.

GareFan18

Jan 10, 2014
Kansas City
Update.
The new logo at center ice looks good. There's some fresh paint inside.
That's all I got.

If it happens, it's going to be an interesting season. I'm looking forward to it!!

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Update.
The new logo at center ice looks good. There's some fresh paint inside.
That's all I got.

If it happens, it's going to be an interesting season. I'm looking forward to it!!

Which rink do they plan to move into? Didn't both of the competing rinks get the STAR bonds? I doubt they can stay there for more than a year or two, that place barely looked like a recreation rink.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Which rink do they plan to move into? Didn't both of the competing rinks get the STAR bonds? I doubt they can stay there for more than a year or two, that place barely looked like a recreation rink.
I could be wrong, but I think it's just down to the arena included with the BlueHawk development now.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Well then I guess they'll get to pick which arena they like best in 1-2 years.
Considering Lamar-Jr. owns the development company for the Mentum project in Olathe (Loretto Sports Ventures LLC), the smart money trail leads to The Great of the Great.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Considering Lamar-Jr. owns the development company for the Mentum project in Olathe (Loretto Sports Ventures LLC), the smart money trail leads to The Great of the Great.

The irony in this is back when he was championing the USHL to Kansas City he was backing the BluHawk bid in Overland Park. Now he is building his own place to rival that modified project with a building of similar size, seeking to fulfill the same purpose, fairly close to it. And he is doing it without the STAR bonds. And he is doing it in a market without any confirmed fan interest in junior hockey. That is a bold move, Cotton. Let's see how this one plays out.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The irony in this is back when he was championing the USHL to Kansas City he was backing the BluHawk bid in Overland Park. Now he is building his own place to rival that modified project with a building of similar size, seeking to fulfill the same purpose, fairly close to it. And he is doing it without the STAR bonds. And he is doing it in a market without any confirmed fan interest in junior hockey. That is a bold move, Cotton. Let's see how this one plays out.
I figured he & the Bluhawk principles had a falling out. Lamar-Jr. doesn't strike me as someone who likes to compromise.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Not compromising is one thing. Building an almost exact copy for the same purpose down the road is something crazy.
But it isn't for the same purpose; Mentum is for Tier II junior hockey, not the Tier I franchise that was expected. It's possible (at least in part) that L-Junior's shifted focus demanded lower cost accommodations than Bluhawk was willing to offer him. Plus owning your own arena (under one of many entities) is bound to have its financial advantages. If Hunt is as committed to growing the youth segment of the game in the KC area as he portrays, the Great Mall redevelopment seems as much a complement to a Bluhawk arena as it is a competitor. Similar situation to St. Louis, as @mk80 can attest: Two new multi-sheet arenas (Centene Ice & Maryville U Hockey Center) within a 20-minute drive of one another, cooperating to bring more ice time & more community awareness to amateur hockey.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
But it isn't for the same purpose; Mentum is for Tier II junior hockey, not the Tier I franchise that was expected. It's possible (at least in part) that L-Junior's shifted focus demanded lower cost accommodations than Bluhawk was willing to offer him. Plus owning your own arena (under one of many entities) is bound to have its financial advantages. If Hunt is as committed to growing the youth segment of the game in the KC area as he portrays, the Great Mall redevelopment seems as much a complement to a Bluhawk arena as it is a competitor. Similar situation to St. Louis, as @mk80 can attest: Two new multi-sheet arenas (Centene Ice & Maryville U Hockey Center) within a 20-minute drive of one another, cooperating to bring more ice time & more community awareness to amateur hockey.

I will contest this. They're both 4,000 seat arenas designed to host big hockey tournaments that don't have any junior hockey tenants to fill them. Whether it is for Tier I or Tier II doesn't really matter in this case. They're both full out arenas meant to host fan-driven junior hockey.

St. Louis is certainly different. Centene Ice Center was designed to be the home for Lindenwood and the St. Louis Blues practice facility and is a legitimate arena. Maryville U Hockey Center is not an arena, it is a very large and very nice rec rink with seating for maybe 1000. They fulfill and serve two entirely different purposes. These aren't two arenas that have the same capacity looking to fulfill the same niche despite not having announced anchored tenants like in Kansas City.

kij

Jan 31, 2016
I will contest this. They're both 4,000 seat arenas designed to host big hockey tournaments that don't have any junior hockey tenants to fill them. Whether it is for Tier I or Tier II doesn't really matter in this case. They're both full out arenas meant to host fan-driven junior hockey.

St. Louis is certainly different. Centene Ice Center was designed to be the home for Lindenwood and the St. Louis Blues practice facility and is a legitimate arena. Maryville U Hockey Center is not an arena, it is a very large and very nice rec rink with seating for maybe 1000. They fulfill and serve two entirely different purposes. These aren't two arenas that have the same capacity looking to fulfill the same niche despite not having announced anchored tenants like in Kansas City.
Having played at the Maryville U rink, I can say that max capacity is more around 400 than 1,000. It is a very nice, shiny new toy but not meant for anything fan-driven. Bleachers are only on one side of the rink, above the locker rooms. Tiny locker rooms that require the college to give visitors 2 separate rooms. Shared bathrooms in the locker rooms between rinks. They did build a nice little media pad out on top of the bleachers with room for both their team and visitors to bring media. Space for probably 3 cameras, maybe 6 people total.

The comparison really can't be made to the full-size arenas we see here. It is similar to how the Grossinger arena in Bloomington, IL is vacant nearly all day and is a burden on the city. Nobody wants to rent out full arenas for youth hockey, whether it be practice or games. The Andrescoggin Colisee up in Lewiston, Maine (I am prepared for hutch to argue) has similar issues where it sits all day because people prefer to use cheaper, rec rinks for most hockey activities.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Having played at the Maryville U rink, I can say that max capacity is more around 400 than 1,000. It is a very nice, shiny new toy but not meant for anything fan-driven. Bleachers are only on one side of the rink, above the locker rooms. Tiny locker rooms that require the college to give visitors 2 separate rooms. Shared bathrooms in the locker rooms between rinks. They did build a nice little media pad out on top of the bleachers with room for both their team and visitors to bring media. Space for probably 3 cameras, maybe 6 people total.

The comparison really can't be made to the full-size arenas we see here. It is similar to how the Grossinger arena in Bloomington, IL is vacant nearly all day and is a burden on the city. Nobody wants to rent out full arenas for youth hockey, whether it be practice or games. The Andrescoggin Colisee up in Lewiston, Maine (I am prepared for hutch to argue) has similar issues where it sits all day because people prefer to use cheaper, rec rinks for most hockey activities.
no it's not, kjj, in fact the success of the Colisee brought on the NCDC once St. Dominic's Academy swapped cities; and Norway Savings Bank Arena was constructed as the replacement for Ingersoll Arena and then the Twin City Thunder of the NCDC arrived (NSBA has two rinks, btw), not one, it's also why the NAHL Maine Nordiques partnered with said school as the next logical extension of that franchise... replacing the NA3HL L/A Nordiques, when Dr. Antonucci bought the facility outright from Jim Cain and Firland Management;

remember, Lewiston had a QMJHL entry for roughly a decade after leaving Sherbrooke.... and the AHL rented the Colisee in 2014/2015 while Cross Arena went into full update mode in the midst of a lease dispute

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

The problem with the Mentum and Bluehawk arenas is they are only a few miles apart and there's no reason to have 8k worth seats to watch hockey in that area. Sure both will be great for youth hockey and growing it in that region. I think Maryville and Centene are both great examples, both serve the youth hockey community, and other ice sports in much needed ways, although Maryville's rink should have been built with a full set of bleachers in both rinks to be able to host multiple high school games or one MU and one high school game at the same time.... but if both had a 2500+ seat arena like Centene has I think that would be overshooting what the community can support right now. LU hockey has unfortunately struggled to fill the main arena, and Maryville would as well, their rink is perfect for their crowd size. That area of KC doesn't even have college teams that could make use of two arenas that size.

I see this playing out similarly to how Chesterfield, MO handled two competing bids to build outlet malls, basically letting the companies decide, they both went ahead with their own developments and now one is being torn down/redeveloped because it couldn't stay afloat, in the case of the KC arenas one will simply be way overbuilt for it's own good, and while youth hockey and other ice sports will use it, it will be more of a burden on the community than if they had just built some nice youth hockey sheets.

Despite how it looks I know for the ribbon cutting on opening day, and a couple Maryville games I went to, and pictures of some high school games I've seen they have packed in 1000 fans into those bleachers. You can't move your elbows, but it's been done.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Probably just for purposes of appeasing taxpayers who will be footing the STAR bonds bill, but the Bluhawk leasing web page refers to their ice facility as "a 3,500-seat Civic and Community Center/Arena ... ." I guess Woodbury Corp. & Junior's Loretto Sports Ventures won't have to bother putting lipstick on their pig.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

While I'll admit your perspective - along with thoughtful Replies from @kij and @mk80 - have poked holes in my comparison, I'll take this opportunity to quibble with your characterization of Bluhawk & Mentum being "two arenas that have the same capacity looking to fulfill the same niche despite not having announced anchored tenants like in Kansas City." If you don't recognize Lamar-Jr.'s company having the arena management contract for the Olathe arena plus his relocation of the Pilots to the KC area as the de facto announcement of its future tenants, then further discussion is fruitless. And we all know none of us in this recent exchange are prone to let dead pucks lie. :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad