NAHL coming to KC

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Probably just for purposes of appeasing taxpayers who will be footing the STAR bonds bill, but the Bluhawk leasing web page refers to their ice facility as "a 3,500-seat Civic and Community Center/Arena ... ." I guess Woodbury Corp. & Junior's Loretto Sports Ventures won't have to bother putting lipstick on their pig.
Funny how all these arenas state they are community/multi-purpose but can anyone find examples of any of these arenas regularly being used as anything other than a rink? When you think about it, all boards are collapsible and most rinks have that tiling on hand to convert the sheet into a floor (even my ratty old rink back in Long Beach, NY had them and it's from the 60's). But does anybody see rinks regularly doing this? With the costs associated with skilled labor to maintain the ice under the tiling as well as actually taking everything out and rebuilding it, is it even worth the money to do so? Obviously you see it at MSG and the like in the big leagues but at these smaller arenas built for junior hockey? Best example I can think of was the old Louisiana Ice Gators in the Cajundome but the dome hated them and jacked up the rent on ice time because it cost so much to convert from basketball.

no it's not, kjj, in fact the success of the Colisee brought on the NCDC once St. Dominic's Academy swapped cities; and Norway Savings Bank Arena was constructed as the replacement for Ingersoll Arena and then the Twin City Thunder of the NCDC arrived (NSBA has two rinks, btw), not one, it's also why the NAHL Maine Nordiques partnered with said school as the next logical extension of that franchise... replacing the NA3HL L/A Nordiques, when Dr. Antonucci bought the facility outright from Jim Cain and Firland Management;

remember, Lewiston had a QMJHL entry for roughly a decade after leaving Sherbrooke.... and the AHL rented the Colisee in 2014/2015 while Cross Arena went into full update mode in the midst of a lease dispute

Hutch, I appreciate your input, but I was referring to the use of the ice throughout the day to help cover expenses. To my knowledge, on a regular day during the season, the Colisee sits vacant for a large amount of operating hours outside of when the junior team/1-2 prep teams using it. Can you clarify that situation for us?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Funny how all these arenas state they are community/multi-purpose but can anyone find examples of any of these arenas regularly being used as anything other than a rink? When you think about it, all boards are collapsible and most rinks have that tiling on hand to convert the sheet into a floor (even my ratty old rink back in Long Beach, NY had them and it's from the 60's). But does anybody see rinks regularly doing this? With the costs associated with skilled labor to maintain the ice under the tiling as well as actually taking everything out and rebuilding it, is it even worth the money to do so? Obviously you see it at MSG and the like in the big leagues but at these smaller arenas built for junior hockey? Best example I can think of was the old Louisiana Ice Gators in the Cajundome but the dome hated them and jacked up the rent on ice time because it cost so much to convert from basketball.

Hutch, I appreciate your input, but I was referring to the use of the ice throughout the day to help cover expenses. To my knowledge, on a regular day during the season, the Colisee sits vacant for a large amount of operating hours outside of when the junior team/1-2 prep teams using it. Can you clarify that situation for us?
because of NSBA IS WHY, Lewiston isn't where you want to go.....kjj.... the Colisee simply isn't as fashionable to attend events there as it once may have been...it has nothing to do with tenants or ice time..... when the AHL/QMJHL were there (there are other events besides hockey as well, depending on the time of year) safety and/or security issues were paramount as due to the location of where the arena is located.... as compared to most arena, when you contrast and compare both Cross Center (Bangor) and Cross Arena (Portland), even Augusta's Civic Center is relatively safe and secure... and ADA Compliant the Colisee's arena is fine as a venue, the amenities outside of the arena are still suspect... primarily lighting and the upslope going toward the arena and downslope leaving the arena as parking lot is on an incline, and isn't flat. It's just the way the city of Lewiston is mapped out in that part of the city, just as Portland's on a peninsula, and why Deering section has Hadlock Field, the Expo, and Fitzpatrick Stadium as well as the Troubh Ice Arena side by side by side by side, while Cross Arena is in the heart of downtown.

google Norway Savings Bank Arena and contrast that with the Colisee side by side and you'll know that

GareFan18

Jan 10, 2014
Kansas City
The link to the article about the Mentum project is pretty dated. Since that time, I think they've run into a water run-off/geological engineering problem with the privately-owned neighboring property. Last I heard, Mentum had no "mo" in front of it.

GareFan18

Jan 10, 2014
Kansas City
The NAHL team is going to play in Northeast Olathe in, hopefully, 2021-2022. You say, "What?"
Well, that's what LHJr and his sports holding company's CEO says.
H1-MLB players show bad faith (0:00-20:15), Corona virus on college campuses (20:15-35:04), KC Scouts (5:04-54:26) - The Program - Omny.fm

This is kind of a curveball. The site of the former Great Mall of the Great Plains isn't anywhere near NE Olathe. It's South Olathe (actually right down the street from Olathe South high school). I don't know where this is going to be. More later...obviously.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Was chatting with a buddy with 3 kids playing and he told me he got an email to register them for USA Hockey 20-21 season, because the USA website said they were "confident" the season would start as usual. He then asked me if something did happen and their season was affected by the pandemic would they get their registration money back?

Then it got me thinking about all the "pay to play" Tier3 checks (and even youth) being sent and if there was a consistent USA Hockey "Covid" refund policy, or if parents like him will be at the mercy of whomever they sent money to.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Was chatting with a buddy with 3 kids playing and he told me he got an email to register them for USA Hockey 20-21 season, because the USA website said they were "confident" the season would start as usual. He then asked me if something did happen and their season was affected by the pandemic would they get their registration money back?

Then it got me thinking about all the "pay to play" Tier3 checks (and even youth) being sent and if there was a consistent USA Hockey "Covid" refund policy, or if parents like him will be at the mercy of whomever they sent money to.
Bet on the latter. Skip the coming hockey sessions & send the kids back to school (traditionally or virtually). More future in an education than in ice time.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

The USPHL at least has a full plan in place and it's likely going to work with each state at the rate they are at now. They will start normal time in September. They also don't rely on fans, and most of them don't get any so that's another reason they will probably continue on time. The start of the season is 3 months away. Considering the United States has been entirely shut down for three months and the rapid progress that has been seen with reopening in recent weeks, there likely won't be any issues. Especially since no state is backtracking any respectable amount despite rising infections.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Any chance we could persuade a Mod to move the last three posts to an appropriate thread within this forum? Might keep @mjhfb's topic from getting lost, and the NAHL coming to KC topic more focused. Though the latter is a stretch goal.

Reactions: GareFan18

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
They also don't rely on fans, and most of them don't get any so that's another reason they will probably continue on time. The start of the season is 3 months away. Considering the United States has been entirely shut down for three months and the rapid progress that has been seen with reopening in recent weeks, there likely won't be any issues.

Sorry to bring the thread even more off topic, but while this is an entirely plausible scenario, it is equally likely is that the measures imposed by states will impact the start of the season, regardless of what King Richard wants.

Although the league I work in has recently separated from the USPHL, we are unsure if we will be able to play due to potential restrictions such as locker room capacity, the number of players allowed on the bench at one time, whether full use of the facilities (e.g. showers and bathrooms) is allowed, etc., and those are just for our home rink; a tiny, publicly-owned shoebox. Just imagine all the extra restrictions at the behemoth in Marlborough.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Sorry to bring the thread even more off topic, but while this is an entirely plausible scenario, it is equally likely is that the measures imposed by states will impact the start of the season, regardless of what King Richard wants.

Although the league I work in has recently separated from the USPHL, we are unsure if we will be able to play due to potential restrictions such as locker room capacity, the number of players allowed on the bench at one time, whether full use of the facilities (e.g. showers and bathrooms) is allowed, etc., and those are just for our home rink; a tiny, publicly-owned shoebox. Just imagine all the extra restrictions at the behemoth in Marlborough.

I'm not saying there won't be restrictions. Those huge showcases are going to be a lot different. Regular games are going to be a lot different. All I am saying is they it is likely they will be playing. They already held a fairly large combine in tight spaces in Indiana and are holding another one with more than a hundred kids next month in Detroit.

People might be wearing masks and there might be rules on showering and social distancing, but at the rate we're going it will be happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad