[NA Pro Sports Leagues] Expansion to Mexico - Will it happen?

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Announced today. The Carrier company ( heating and A/C ) is going to close its Indianapolis manufacturing plant within 3 years and move all to Mexico. Another one bites the dust.
Of course the Headquarters and engineers will remain in Indianappolis. FN Joke .
The list is endless.

I just typed and erased a couple hundred words to you about nafta .
I will just say check specific stats not generalizations like you stated.
Hundreds of thousands or more jobs have left the U.S.
Just see the list of companies that have moved manufacturing away from the U.S.
Ask your 50 or 60 year old neighbor why he works at McDonald's. Maybe he lost his job. Maybe he has a skill that is only needed south of the border at 10 percent of his salary.
As for trading partners as you say, the U.S. deficit with these countries has never been higher.
At least before Nafta there was a small surplus statistically speaking. I hope your life , whether you are young or old is prosperous on a personal, family, and professional level, but don't ever tell me Nafta
Is good for the majority of the U.S. citizens.
Bring the jobs back home.

Two things here:

1) An increasing number of companies in selected job fields are relocating their manufacturing operations back to the United States or North America.

2) Many of those companies aren't actually creating many jobs due to increased automation, something that is true regardless of location.

In general, if you adjust for inflation, most goods today cost less (and in many cases, dramatically less) than goods did 30-40 years ago. If many of the low education, non-specialized manufacturing/trade jobs had stayed in the U.S., the cost of living in the U.S. relative to salaries would probably be significantly higher than it is now. And it should be noted the "Rust Belt" received its name in the 1960s and 1970s when jobs were leaving, which was many years before NAFTA was passed. Many of the manufacturing jobs that have been eliminated in the U.S. were going to be eliminated with or without NAFTA. Additionally, many companies relocated their international operations from Mexico to China or other lower cost countries in the last 15-20 years due to China's even cheaper labor, and China isn't part of NAFTA. (China's labor costs are now increasing as their middle class grows and the impacts of its One Child policy become more pronounced, which is encouraging some of those companies to bring operations back to the U.S. or at least North America, though in some cases they are relocating to even lower cost countries.)

Regarding U.S. debt, since the end of World War II it increased most dramatically during the Reagan, Bush 41, Bush 43, and Obama administrations. Two of those administrations (Reagan and Bush 41) took place before NAFTA was passed. For more information, check this link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_debt_of_the_United_States.

One final thing - if people want to find the "blue collar" jobs in the U.S., look at the supply chain industry. It is a growing industry and will likely continue to grow due to the increased push by pretty much all companies to increase their sourcing, manufacturing, and distribution/transportation efficiency. Some of those jobs will become automated, but many will not. Supply chain operations represent many of the blue collar jobs available in the U.S. today. (Of course, increased supply chain efficiency also was a significant contributor to offshoring of jobs outside the U.S., but that was driven by businesses, not U.S. government policy.)

Okay, back to the thread topic.

Last edited:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Take any NAFTA talk to the Politics Board - unless it is directly related to the topic at hand.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
the NBA has played games there the last few years , the NFL will play down next year, MLB will have some spring training games down there and NASCAR even has series down there...... and whats the NHL doing ? nothing.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
the NBA has played games there the last few years , the NFL will play down next year, MLB will have some spring training games down there and NASCAR even has series down there...... and whats the NHL doing ? nothing.

I seriously think the NHL should be playing preseason games in other countries to market the product. Even if they lose money today, they will make more money in the future by expanding the fan base.

Gumbo

Dec 31, 2015
Raleigh
I could definitely see NFL or MLB eventually having a franchise in Mexico. Of course soccer is king in Mexico, but they already have a strong soccer league, which would make it very difficult for MLS to get into the market. I understand that both baseball and American football are somewhat popular, especially in the northern parts of the country. The biggest problem is probably the standard of living and the fact that the average income in Mexico is so much lower than the US, thus making attendance really expensive.

The thing with NFL is they only play 8 home games (plus 2 preseason and possibly playoffs), so the number of games is really low which mitigates the attendance concerns (esp compared to baseball). The big prize is the TV market. I have read that the NFL is popular on television and that the Cowboys and Steelers already have sizable followings. The NFL is obviously looking to expand, and in a lot of ways Mexico makes more sense than the UK (closer, no time difference, etc). As others have posted, there is going to be a regular season NFL game played in Mexico City this year. I think if the NFL can find a suitable stadium they would give Mexico City and Monterrey very serious consideration.

Baseball is arguably more popular in Mexico than American football, but it seems like it would be really difficult to sustain attendance over baseball's very long season (81 home games, literally ten times as many as NFL). I think that MLB would like to expand or relocate to open up the market, but IMO that would be more difficult because the season is such a grind.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I don't think the Mexican soccer authorities would let an American based major pro soccer league into Mexico.

The Milwaukee Wave has played against Mexican teams in their league(s). The Monterrey La Raza was in the MISL in 2007-08.

This year, the Monterrey Flash and Saltillo Rancho Seco are in the 22 team league (MASL). The third Mexican team, Hidalgo La Fiera dropped out after 7 games. Other cities with teams include Detroit, Chicago, St Louis, Dallas, Baltimore and San Diego.

The Wave is the longest running US pro soccer franchise, starting in 1984.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Milwaukee Wave has played against Mexican teams in their league(s). The Monterrey La Raza was in the MISL in 2007-08.

This year, the Monterrey Flash and Saltillo Rancho Seco are in the 22 team league (MASL). The third Mexican team, Hidalgo La Fiera dropped out after 7 games. Other cities with teams include Detroit, Chicago, St Louis, Dallas, Baltimore and San Diego.

The Wave is the longest running US pro soccer franchise, starting in 1984.

"Major Pro"

Nothing indoor soccer in this era is anywhere near being "Major Pro" anything.

Tijuana's team plays in a 200 seat arena for crying out loud.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
My guess is the North American Soccer League will be the first one and i could see the Cfl looking at team in Mexico if they could create a southern division.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
why dosent the NHL show games down there like the other leagues and have at least pre season games?

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004

I covered that on the first page:

Mexico's junior team won the Division III World Juniors, yes. However that is the sixth tier of the World Junior tournaments, against teams from Turkey and New Zealand, for example. Further, it is only the third time Mexico has won at this level; the previous two times they were the hosts, which unsurprisingly they were this year as well. It looks good, but context is important. Also will note that the senior team is only in Division IIB (fifth level), and has been steady at that level for a while now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00