[NA Pro Sports Leagues] Expansion to Mexico - Will it happen?

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Not just the political and drug problems down there but if you think the exchange rate between the U.S. and Canadian dollar are bad, don't even look at the exchange rate between the dollar and the peso. That alone will kill any possibility.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Major League Baseball is the only one that I can see working. Mexico City's metro is over 21 million so I think there's enough wealth in that population to support one. Commissioner Manfred mentions it from time to time along with Monterrey.

NFL a maybe but I just see neutral site games being played there. Having franchises down there would add nothing to the league IMO.

gravyleaves

Apr 24, 2012
Are people not counting the MLS? I know at least one friendly match was played in Mexico against a local club. They seem closer than MLB to making a Mexican expansion happen

nutbar

Jan 19, 2011
Are people not counting the MLS? I know at least one friendly match was played in Mexico against a local club. They seem closer than MLB to making a Mexican expansion happen

I don't think the Mexican soccer authorities would let an American based major pro soccer league into Mexico.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It's been said before, but I'm going to second that MLB is the only league that can justifiably go to Mexico at this point. It's one of the three sites I think would be most likely for MLB's expansion to 32, the others being somewhere in the Carolinas (Raleigh, Charlotte, wherever wants to build them a stadium) and Havana.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
The way the NHL handles expansions, I think Mexico's best chances are elsewhere if you want it to happen before XXIV century.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm guessing you'll see an NFL exhibition or regular-season game in Mexico before too long. Maybe an MLB exhibition game or two as well, although it's not like you need to sell baseball to Mexico.

But no, I don't think any North American pro sports are going to try and franchise in Mexico in the foreseeable future. NASCAR has a Mexico series but that's a bit of a different animal. There really doesn't seem to be much of an appetite down there for much of anything other than Liga MX, though - at least, not when I lived in D.F. and the Yucatan.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I doubt it for the simple reason that the monetary conversion would be killer. If the Canadian NHL teams are suffering from the fact that they take in Canadian dollars and have to pay players in American dollars, how do you think a Mexican club in any sport would handle taking in Mexican pesos and paying players in American dollars?

And that's not even bringing up the assured difficulty that a Mexican team would have in retaining and attracting free agents.

Never say never, but I don't see it happened for a very, very long time.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Baseball maybe. But the political problems down there are serioud

Baseball really isn't that big in Mexico. It certainly has it's place, but it's too niche for baseball to ignore all of the extreme negatives that would go along with a Mexican team. I really don't see MLB expanding anywhere in the near future (maybe somebody moves to Montreal, that's about it as far as options are concerned right now).

Don't see the demand for the NBA at this point, certainly not the NHL.

The NFL could certainly end up in Monterrey or Mexico City at some point, preferably the former.

Liga MX > MLS (and they will never join up to make a continental league...the US & Canada sharing a domestic league is extremely rare to begin with and is basically a result of Canada not having any steady soccer infrastructure of their own). That and the MLS is going to grow to the point that they're going to have to split the league in the near future anyway...you're talking 40 teams being inevitable by the time the league is done expanding...there's just nowhere to fit Mexican teams even if Liga MX or the Mexican Football Federation had any reason to consider a merger.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Before MLS they tried the reverse of Liga MX expanding to USA and that didn't pan out.

I just don't see Mexico being able to financially support any of our big sports unless someone like Carlos Slim just throws all his money behind it and eats the losses. Maybe the NFL could work just for the TV money.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I know you guys here hate the phrase "gr*wing the g*me" but I thought it'd be interesting to show you this:

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/mexico-wins-gold-in-hockey-championships/

NHL expansion to Mexico is an obvious red herring and joke, but the game is growing in what is really the most non-traditional market in the Americas.

Mexico's junior team won the Division III World Juniors, yes. However that is the sixth tier of the World Junior tournaments, against teams from Turkey and New Zealand, for example. Further, it is only the third time Mexico has won at this level; the previous two times they were the hosts, which unsurprisingly they were this year as well. It looks good, but context is important. Also will note that the senior team is only in Division IIB (fifth level), and has been steady at that level for a while now.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Baseball really isn't that big in Mexico. It certainly has it's place, but it's too niche for baseball to ignore all of the extreme negatives that would go along with a Mexican team. I really don't see MLB expanding anywhere in the near future (maybe somebody moves to Montreal, that's about it as far as options are concerned right now).

Don't see the demand for the NBA at this point, certainly not the NHL.

The NFL could certainly end up in Monterrey or Mexico City at some point, preferably the former.

Liga MX > MLS (and they will never join up to make a continental league...the US & Canada sharing a domestic league is extremely rare to begin with and is basically a result of Canada not having any steady soccer infrastructure of their own). That and the MLS is going to grow to the point that they're going to have to split the league in the near future anyway...you're talking 40 teams being inevitable by the time the league is done expanding...there's just nowhere to fit Mexican teams even if Liga MX or the Mexican Football Federation had any reason to consider a merger.

???

NFL over MLB in Mexico? By all accounts I've read is baseball's Mexico 2nd biggest sport and is arguable number 1 in a few northern cities like Monterey. I mean, MLB wont say it but they think Mexican baseball could be bigger than it is if it was just organized better and had a bette relationship like NPB does with MLB. So much talent gets wasted in that country.

Still pales in comparison to soccer tho.

You got reading material for the MLS-split, or just your own prediction?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Well, yeah. Mexico City is getting Monday Night Football on November 21st next season. Texans-Raiders.

First game in Mexico since 2005 (49ers-Cardinals).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...o-texansraiders-to-play-nov-21-in-mexico-city

The Oakland Raiders will host the Houston Texans at Estadio Azteca in Mexico City on Monday night, November 21. The game will be televised live on ESPN in the United States and on Televisa and ESPN in Mexico, marking the first-ever Monday Night Football game to be played outside the US.

"Expanding our International Series of regular-season games to Mexico marks an important step in our continued international growth," said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. "We have a tremendous, passionate fan base in Mexico and we know the atmosphere on game day will be outstanding."

The NFL played its first international regular-season game on October 2, 2005 when a crowd of 103,467 saw the Arizona Cardinals defeat the San Francisco 49ers 31-14 in Mexico City.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I think the players' associations would be a major hurdle. I don't know how big the NFL is in Mexico, but I could see it working because there's only one game a week and 16 games in the season so the players could really just live in the southern US and commute to games. They could practice in the US and all their road games would be in the US. There are too many MLB games in a season.

I'm not sure you could convince enough players to move down there with their families. Montreal had trouble with some MLB players as it was considered too 'foreign', and you expect players to move their wives and kids to Mexico?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00