Proposal: Myers / Gardiner swap

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
No he isn't.
They are similar players, both good offensively both bad defensively. Gardiner is a much better puck mover and therefor a better player overall. But, Gardiner is rental and we have another similar young player in Niku who could benefit from that ice time so it isn’t exactly a burning need.

Since Gardiner doesn’t really fill a need and is a pure rental I wouldn’t add any other assets to get him. If the Leafs want a RHD and can fill Gardiners spot with Dermott so they are willing to take a downgrade for half a season to balance out their D I’d make the swap straight up but I’m not sending any other assets with Myers.

He's not bad defensively and it's tiring reading it over and over. One of the best shot suppression guys on the team and this year playing some really hard minutes without getting the offensive opportunities he had before (on the PP with Matthews and Nylander).

Gardiner is fantastic and I hope he takes a discount as losing him will really really hurt.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
He's not bad defensively and it's tiring reading it over and over. One of the best shot suppression guys on the team
First of all, you are confusing "being a good shot suppressor" with "doesn’t leak as many shots as most other Leaf players". He gives up 63 shot attempts per 60 min played, which on most other teams would be among the worst. Also, shot suppression is not necessary the same thing as being good defensively. You can supress shots by helping you team control the puck while giving up more at times when the other team has the puck.

Historically, Gardner has been good at moving and controlling the puck which helps his team keep control of the puck. This year though he seems to be struggling to drive possession, even though it’s traditionally been a strength for him. Most Leaf players are doing better without him then they are with him this year. Looking at that aspect of his game this year maybe I wouldn't take him no matter how unimpressed I've been with Myers.

gardija90

myersty90

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
First of all, you are confusing "being a good shot suppressor" with "doesn’t leak as many shots as most other Leaf players". He gives up 63 shot attempts per 60 min played, which on most other teams would be among the worst. Also, shot suppression is not necessary the same thing as being good defensively. You can supress shots by helping you team control the puck while giving up more at times when the other team has the puck.

Historically, Gardner has been good at moving and controlling the puck which helps his team keep control of the puck. This year though he seems to be struggling to drive possession, even though it’s traditionally been a strength for him. Most Leaf players are doing better without him then they are with him this year. Looking at that aspect of his game this year maybe I wouldn't take him no matter how unimpressed I've been with Myers.

gardija90

myersty90

This year he is struggling because he is being given some of the toughest usage in the league and has been really good honestly.

I'm not going to argue with people about him people have already made up their minds. He'll get his respect if he leaves the Leafs next offseason.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Leafs pass.

Gardner is terrible defensively, but remains an integral part of the team offence. An inconsistent, but still a good player that fits well. Myers is far better defensively, but cannot stay healthy. Last year and this season (final year) he's surprisingly been healthy. A decade of missing more than 1/3 of his games, teams should be concerned. With a lengthy injury history is seeking a long-term deal that he will unlikely fulfill. Teams especially the Leafs should stay away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad